main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where are your pants? - The Monkey Island Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Iquitous, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    The Escape was pretty awful. Some of those puzzles just defied logic. And using the keyboard? Even the first one had mouse support. Stealing the prosthetic hand from that Dave guy took me a dozen tries because I couldn't look at the hand. Curse of Monkey Island is the best, LeChuck's Revenge a close second.

2. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm hoping that the next monkey island game will be more like #3 in appearance. That 3d look in #4 was hideous.

I'm also hoping for a movie based on the games sometime in the future...near future...soon, I hope.

3. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    First two are excellent, third was okay (though Murray was hilarious!) and I haven't and won't see the fourth...

"If a tree falls down in the forest and no one sees it, what color is the tree?"
    -Herman Toothrot

4. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "That's the second biggest duck I've ever had in my pants!" 8-}

5. Darth_Iquitous

Nov 9, 2001
    I don't think he'd like that (referring to using the prosthetic butt)

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Carl (The Swordmaster) : Walking sticks are for losers, wimps, and wussies!

Guybrush : I own five!

7. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "HOLY JUMPING MOTHER OF GOD NO!" - Ottis 8-}

8. Darth_Iquitous

Nov 9, 2001
  9. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I finished Escape From Monkey Island yesterday, and I must say it has the most awful ending ever in the history of adventure games. Monkey Kombat? The most stupidest puzzle to solve and do. The ending reminds me of Power Rangers and there are several plot holes right at the end. The ending was rushed as well, like the designers had run out of ideas and wanted to end the game quickly. I am very disappointed after being introduced to Monkey Kombat, everything went downhill from there.

10. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    You know, I should probably finish that game...

11. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Have you got stuck or have you not been playing it recently? :)

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    All the MI games have had less than stellar endings. MI2 being the worst, even though overall that game was the best of the series, IMO.

13. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Directed to jp-30: Ack! Oop! Chee! [face_mischief]

14. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    The moment that makes me laugh the most is a moment from Secret Of Monkey Island.

It's the part when the cannibals give you the navigator head. What makes me laugh so hard is when one of the cannibals says "I think he likes you." and the head looks at you and smiles.

15. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    haha i remember that part. That made me laugh too... Monkey island was the best... along with space quest and all those things.... great times... sierra made some good stuff too..

16. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Anyone else sink the ship in MI1, that was fun. In MI5 they apparently used that ending.

17. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

As posted by jp-30...
    "All the MI games have had less than stellar endings. MI2 being the worst, even though overall that game was the best of the series, IMO."

jp... you actually like the second one the best? I never thought I'd hear anyone say that.

***next paragraph may contain a spoiler***

At any rate, as you say, the endings for all of them are fairly poor. Especially "Curse." You spend all that time playing and solving puzzles, and all you get rewarded with is a shot of Guybrush and Elaine sailing away in a ship, saying nothing and waving. What's that about??? After the game had such a brilliant intro cinematic, you think they could have ended the game with something decent, too.

My personal favorite is the "Secret," followed by "Curse." The other two are a toss-up. I despise the 3D graphics, the weird glitches, and the awkward controls of "Escape," and something about "Revenge" never sat well with me. Not sure what.

Murray rules,
    Yours Truly

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    *bump*

¤Night

19. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    "jp... you actually like the second one the best? I never thought I'd hear anyone say that."

???
    It's a reasonably common opinion, as far as I'm aware.

I and II are quite different, but more or less equally wonderful in my opinion, and the ending of II could and should've made the perfect end for the series.

Curse looks nice but is idiotic and lame in many respects. Escape From Monkey Island often looks cheap and nasty (next to Grim Fandango) and has one of the most depressingly brainless endings I've ever seen, but up until the weak Monkey Island section it makes a far better game then the rather tedious Curse, IMO. Monkey Kombat is a stupid concept, but I found the actual puzzle process quite an enjoyably diverting one.

My Monkey Island opinions, there... in new, improved, fun-size form! Print them out and give them to your child.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    jp... you actually like the second one the best? I never thought I'd hear anyone say that.

I also think the second one is the best MI game, if mot the best adventure game. I can't think of anything wrong with that game (yeah, I loved the ending --what can I say?).

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unlock n bump me harties, yo ho!

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When I saw this I thought maybe, just maybe, there were rumors of a new game. I should have known that was to good to be true. :oops:

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    LucasArts KNOWS there is an audience for Monkey 5, why don't they give us it?

And in honour of pirate day, let's play the insult-comeback game!

Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish-kebab!

24. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    First you better stop waiving it like a feather-duster!

Zing!

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.