main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where can you find the Hoojibs?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MAZARON, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAZARON

MAZARON Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2001
    Hello all, reading the Essential Guide to Alien Speices this evening, my favorite of the essential guides (and the most up to date one, the original one on individuals is woefully out of date), and came across the Hoojibs in the appendix, described as telepathic, pastel-colored rodent-like race with antennae. Where in the heck were they in the books? I don't recall them.
    Thanks!

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Aaaarrrggghhh! Can't remember the planet's name!

Oh, Genghis...

3. MAZARON

MAZARON Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2001
    Sorry, let me clairfy. The guide lists their homeworld as Arbra. I meant, what book were they found in?

Thanks

4. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Oh, Marvel Star Wars comic #55, entitled 'Plif!' Darn their cute!

5. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Yep, they can be found in the post Empire Strikes Back Marvel series. Great species.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yep, the Hoojibs stay around until the end of Marvel's run in issue #107. In fact, Plif became Luke's trusted sidekick & companion much in the same way Han had Chewbaaca. (I still think Plif should've been a groomsmen in Luke's wedding :( )

Dark Horse Comics will begin reprinting Marvel's entire 110-issue monthly series in a series of 8 trade paperbacks beginning in 2002.

But, the Hoojibs have also appeared since then. They are discussed in the lead-editorial in Star Wars Gamer #4 (June/July 2001), and appear in "Welcome in the Jungle" in Star Wars Gamer #6 (Oct/Nov 2001).

The slivilith, which appeared in Marvel's Hoojib-centric issue #55 was in the recent WotC book, Alien Compendium.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Hey, Genghis, check and see if Shira ever came face to face with Plif or any other Hoojib. I just thought since they were telepathic if they never sensed the fact that she was kinda eeeevil, since Luke missed it completely. It probably never happened, and Luke was so smitten with her, (can you blame him, I mean really), that he never detected her with the Force until they stole the TIE fighters to make the run on the Tzeel (sp) and he blew her away. Oh, quick question, what was the name of the Star Destroyer that carried it (Tzeel)?

8. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    It's funny that you should post a thread on this same subject because I was just about to post a thread about the Hoojibs. On the Japanese cover to one of the books (I can't remember which one)there appears to be Hoojibs, one looks like he is on Jacen's shoulder.

9. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Uh, I think that might be Master Ikrit.

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Kier...
    "Hey, Genghis, check and see if Shira ever came face to face with Plif or any other Hoojib."

She would've had to, I think. The next issue, #56 shows the Rebels have accepted the Hoojibs offer and set up their base there. Shira was indeed on Arbra, acting like a normal Rebel, therefore, I'd have to say she definitely came face-to-face with some Hoojibs. In fact, it's confirmed in issue #58, actually where "Mack-Daddy" Plif eyes Shira and muses to himself, "And cute, too - for a human." Granted, Plif and Shira didn't think to each other directly, but Plif was about three steps away from her. That's the last contact she had with Hoojibs prior to her being shot down by Luke.

"I just thought since they were telepathic if they never sensed the fact that she was kinda eeeevil, since Luke missed it completely."

Perhaps the Hoojib telepathy is non-Force-based, nor allows them to sense feelings. Perhaps its only limited to direct communication. So, if Shira simply didn't think evil thoughts while in their presence, they'd never know. ?[face_plain]

"It probably never happened, and Luke was so smitten with her, (can you blame him, I mean really), that he never detected her with the Force until they stole the TIE fighters to make the run on the Tzeel (sp) and he blew her away."

Yes, it seems Luke indeed has a thing for red-headed Imperial Agents/Emperor's Hands who wish to destroy him. I submit he merely "settled" for Mara because of his feelings of loss/regret for what he did to Shira. In any case, the whole "Mara Jade" thing reeks of a Jerry Springer episode, and I think Luke definitely has some lingering issues about the whole matter since he seems to be in complete denial about it all. :D

"Oh, quick question, what was the name of the Star Destroyer that carried it (Tzeel)?"

The name of Giel's flagship was never given, unfortunately. It is rather strange since Giel's armada was the largest armada in Empire history. Shows the importance the Emperor placed on the Teezl.

Lianna...
    "On the Japanese cover to one of the books (I can't remember which one)there appears to be Hoojibs, one looks like he is on Jacen's shoulder."

Kier is most definitely correct. That alien is Jedi Master Ikrit, not a Hoojib.

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    The Alien Anthology says Plif is one of the only Hoojibs that has an intrest in galactic going-ons. He is trying to gather his species to perhaps help the New Republic against the Yuuzahn Vong, their telepathic powers might be used as a great hidden weapon that delivers the final punch that allows the good guys to win.

12. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I actually had the read along book that came with the 45 record that was called Planet of the Hoojibs. Turn the page when you hear R2D2 beep like this. Well were can I find out about Kligson if any of you know who he is.

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Prowl...
    Kligson and his moon are from Marvel #47, "Droid World." He's a cyborg from the Clone Wars who surrounds himself only with droids, because he's more comfortable with them. His Clone Wars experiences have made him hostile to his fellow organics forever, and he generally shoots down any invaders to his moon.

14. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

She would've had to, I think. The next issue, #56 shows the Rebels have accepted the Hoojibs offer and set up their base there. Shira was indeed on Arbra, acting like a normal Rebel, therefore, I'd have to say she definitely came face-to-face with some Hoojibs. In fact, it's confirmed in issue #58, actually where "Mack-Daddy" Plif eyes Shira and muses to himself, "And cute, too - for a human." Granted, Plif and Shira didn't think to each other directly, but Plif was about three steps away from her. That's the last contact she had with Hoojibs prior to her being shot down by Luke.

I figured as much. I guess when I think of telepathy, I tend to see as cut and dry, i.e. Force telepathy is the same as non-Force based telepathy. Of course, Plif and his ilk, if I recall correctly, seemed as though they generally liked all people and generally weren't overly suspicious of them, so Shira never gave them or Plif a reason to scan her telepathically.

Perhaps the Hoojib telepathy is non-Force-based, nor allows them to sense feelings. Perhaps its only limited to direct communication. So, if Shira simply didn't think evil thoughts while in their presence, they'd never know.

Again, in most instances, telepathy is different from the power like 'mind scan' in many RPGs. And the Hoojibs are telepaths, and I don't believe were ever noted for empathy- it's something that authors tend to overlook, or ignore because it facilitates events that they might rather avoid.

Yes, it seems Luke indeed has a thing for red-headed Imperial Agents/Emperor's Hands who wish to destroy him. I submit he merely "settled" for Mara because of his feelings of loss/regret for what he did to Shira.

Shira was, IMHO, prettier, more developed and more interesting. I had always hoped that Luke would redeem her and get married. I had always hoped that Shira's presumed feelings for Luke were real, and she was merely in denile and conflict over her brainwashing by Vader. She also had a neat playful nature about her that Mara lacked completely.

In any case, the whole "Mara Jade" thing reeks of a Jerry Springer episode, and I think Luke definitely has some lingering issues about the whole matter since he seems to be in complete denial about it all.

Well, like it or not, it's the way it is. Unless of course some crafty author decides to re-introduce her and she comes gunning for Luke again. Planning to kill him she realizes that she really DOES love him.

The name of Giel's flagship was never given, unfortunately. It is rather strange since Giel's armada was the largest armada in Empire history. Shows the importance the Emperor placed on the Teezl.

Well, since it was an instantaneous communications system even faster than the holonet, I can see why.

Kier is most definitely correct. That alien is Jedi Master Ikrit, not a Hoojib.

I thought as much.

Oh, hey, are there D6 or D20 stats for Shira? Even if its just ones you have made, please private mail them to me.

15. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Wow, all the stories in the read-along books were once in Comics? I still have my read along books from when I was seven, including Planet of the Hoojibs and Droid World. I wonder if they're worth anything.

16. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    The hoojibs were first introduced in that read along book that was mentioned earlier.

Kinda dumb little creatures if you ask me.

17. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    the Read Along book actually came after their appearances in the Marvel series...

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No, if you meant continuity chronilogically speaking, because actually the read along book was a narrated and full cast audio drama adapation of the story Plif, the very first appearance hoojibs.

But if you meant came after in the sense of printing chronology yes your right. Considering that the read along was an adapation.

19. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    I meant it's an adaptation of the comic, and was released after the Marvel comic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.