Before Where Dark Things Walk (Xan, Qui-Gon, OC fic) Updated 10/27/05 New Post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Pixel, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Eeks, missed the last post but now I'm finished and awaiting another. Creepy how much excitement Xanatos felt at opening himself fully to the darkside and killing that guard... yuck!

But wonderful post.
  2. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Now how did I miss this one? WOnderful story, but I still have to get caught up. :D
  3. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    *slinks in with head hung low* I know I said I'd have the post up by last friday. I lied.

It's written now, but I have to type it up. It'll be done in a day or two, I promise.

Sorry. Feel free to throw things/people at me.

Pixie
  4. JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost

star 4
    Just read this. It's really good.

More?
  5. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    The post is done, people. Yay! It's being looked over now and will be up later today along with author replies.

Pixie
  6. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Hey everyone sorry for the big delay. My beta who had the post, went poof and still isn't back, so I decided to just go ahead with it the way it is. I apologize if it sounds a little wonky but like I said,it's unbeta-ed.

Here's the author replies:

TraxxasJedi : Here you are. Hope you like it!

Healer_Leona : It is creepy. I admit I had a little too much fun writing that lol. I promise Xan'll be good for a little while now. Or am I lying? Hmmm...

VaderLVR64 : Hey another Obi thread person! Glad to have you and glad you like it! I hope I can be half as creepy as some of the stuff you've turned out.

JediMaster_Jen : Another new face. Cool! Welcome, welcome, and thank you.

I slipped a little scene in here that pays homage to one of my favorite (semi-recent) movies. Chocolate covered Xani's to the person who can identify the scene and the movie it's from!

And now here's the post...

The two interlopers stealthily made their way to the service tubes. Using the stolen pass codes, Eravasi opened the tube and began the ascent to the landing. Xanatos followed closely, anxious to get the Job over with before anything else that could go wrong did. In the dim light he could make out the bland permecrete of the tunnel and what looked like a small, but sturdy-looking platform directly above the end of the ladder.

Unexpectedly, Eravasi stopped, causing Xanatos to bump the crown of his head on the sole of her boot. Cursing quietly she glared down at him in annoyance. ?Sith Zedrin, shhhhh!?, she hissed venomously. The Dark man returned the look twofold.

?What?s the hold up??, he asked irritably.

Eravasi sighed in exasperation. ?We are currently below a passage that could contain as many as four or five heavily armed beings. These aren?t the same ones that they?ve got guarding the lower passage ways, these will be the elite. If the manage to sound the alarm before we dispatch them, that would pit us against twenty or so guards. You?ll have to forgive my caution, but I don?t wish to go walking blindly into an ambush!?

Xanatos swallowed hard. ?My apologies, lady. Take all the time you need?, he said nervously. The silver-haired woman shook her head amusedly then heaved herself onto the small platform that gave access to the hatch that led to the main accessways. When her recruit had followed suit, she took a deep breath, then carefully popped the hatch open.

She peered cautiously down the long hall for a few moments while Xanatos stood waiting. After giving him the affirmative, she pulled herself gracefully up through the aperture alert, blaster drawn.

While Eravasi consulted the stolen schematics, Xanatos surveyed their new surroundings in order to give his eyes a few moments to adjust to the bright, artificial light. The walls were made of polished, shining plasteel, which stood in stark contrast with the dull permecrete of the service passageways.

?Good. We?re very close. We need to go down this hall, take the second left then go down another short passageway, and that will lead to the secure vault. We can take care of the guards inside the vault with knockout gas as we discussed before and blow open the vault once inside, but the problem is going to be the guards outside the vault. Any suggestions??

The former Jedi thought for a moment, focusing on the sterile wall in concentration. He reached for the power of the Dark side of the Force and let it fill him and draw him deeper into its cold embrace.

Steeped in it now, he stretched out and felt his way towards the vault, where he detected seven guards, their presences shining brightly, like so many muja fruits just ripe for the picking. They like their predecessors would fall to the Dark, but the question was how to do it without garnering the attention of the watchful and extremely observant Overseer. He licked his lips, blinking slowly in the bright light. ?Do we have any more flash grenades left??

Eravasi shook her head. "No, we used them all. I packed what I thought we?d need in exact quantities.
  7. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Hmm...I apparently took too long. It scared people away. *sigh* Sorry again ya'll.
  8. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Okay people. I'll have the next post up this weekend or early to mid next week.
  9. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Here it is and almost on time too! What is this world coming to eh?

Xanatos moved stealthily down the smooth hallway with Eravasi following closely behind. She shot him a worried look. ?How do you propose we mark our targets?? The Dark Jedi turned to flash her a mischievous smirk.

?Simple. We take whoever comes along first.? The Overseer rolled her eyes in exasperation.

?Great plan. In case you haven?t noticed, I?m not a 6ft. tall male. How am I supposed to fit into one?s outfit? I?m a bit short for a guard.? Xanatos gave her an appraising look.

?We?ll make it work. Weren?t you the one reminding me that we?re on a tight schedule?? His companion made an irritated noise.

?Statistically it had to happen sometime.?

?What had to happen sometime??, asked the Telosian confusedly.

?You being right. Statistically, it had to happen at least once.? Xanatos grinned and gave Eravasi an arrogant wink.

?Don?t you mean statistically I have to be wrong at least once?? The woman gave a long sigh, took the lead, and took cover behind a corner, occasionally sticking her head out to look for guards.

?Whatever you prefer Mister Zedrin. Are you always this infuriating?? He just grinned back at her.

?Only if I really like you?, he quipped with a wry look. At that moment, the sound of footfalls reached their ears.

?Shhh!?, she whispered softly. ?They?re coming!?

?Thanks?, replied the fallen Jedi coolly. ?I would never have guessed it on my own you know.? Eravasi shot him a look of the purest venom, but remained silent.

A slight coughing sound alerted them to the fact that the guards had nearly reached their position. Shooting her charge a warning look and pressing one long finger to full lips, she pulled out a pair of blasters, took a deep breath and then leapt from her place of concealment.

There was a dull thudding sound, like a sack of wet peremecrete hitting the ground, and then there was silence. Xanatos rounded the corner, his jaw dropping in disbelief. The silver-haired woman was already stripping the second guard, leaving a very naked, very dead first guard in her wake. She stopped for a moment to glance up at him amusedly.

?What took you? I thought you were waiting for an invitation.? Determined not to be bested, Xanatos moved forward and began to drag the first guard away.

?You ought to know by now m?lady, that I do everything in style. If I cannot be fashionably late than there is simply no point in coming at all.? The female intruder just shook her head.

?Let?s get this armor on shall we??

?

Ten minutes later, one uncharacteristically short, and one oddly lanky Republic soldier came ambling around the corner casually. Stopping for a brief moment to give a quick glance over to each other, they walked up to the outer perimeter of the spice keep. Six guards stood at precise locations looking for all the galaxy like they?d give anything to be anywhere except where they were.

One guard, who was obviously the leader, stepped up to challenge their advance. ?Why aren?t you two at your posts?? he asked suspiciously. Thinking fast, Xanatos spoke first.

?We apologize Sir, but we were sent as relief for two of the guards inside.? The man merely narrowed his eyes at them and crossed his arms in an irritated gesture.

?Why wasn?t I notified?? This time, Eravasi spoke up.

?The comm is down in the Watch Station. The Chief just told us to come up here and replace two guards.? The Captain still didn?t look entirely convinced. The silver-haired woman leaned forward in a friendly manner and whispered conspiratorially, ?I don?t like it any more than you do, but orders are orders right? What are ya gonna do??

To Xanatos? surprise the ploy worked perfectly. The man nodded sympathetically. ?I understand?, he said after a long moment of staring at the woman. The Pirate turned his head to hide a smirk.

Maybe the hotshot Captain?s reaction wasn?t so surprising after all, especially with the way he was eyeing Eravasi. Xanatos was impressed.

She wa
  10. MysteriousRaven13 Force Ghost

star 3
    See, Pixie, I finally posted to you're story. Took me a while, but I finally got here. [face_laugh]

Xanatos DeCiron stood over the fallen body of his father, eyeing the big man who stood irresolutely before him with deep hatred.

:D That?s one way of describing Qui-Gon Jinn. :D

?And this is how I?ll always remember the debt you owe me, which can only be repaid in blood?, he said, his voice soft once more. Without warning he pressed the hot metal of the ring to his cheek.

Ouch :(

After waiting a few days for everything to come through, the arrangements were finally complete. He was to be known as Te?gazi Zedrin, a pirate and smuggler who?d gained his reputation running Kessel spice to various clients right under the nose of the Republic.

So perchance we get to see a leather clad Xani? =P~

He died his skin a ruddy tan color and put contacts in his eyes that made them a clear crystal green. His hair, he decided, would be left as it was. He wasn?t quite so desperate as to shave or tamper with his silken locks in any manner for that matter yet.

:eek: Bald Xani? Yikes, thankfully that didn?t happen. :D

?Some people lack the ability to see the big picture. They can only see a part of what I going on because they have no mind for always keeping an eye on the Grand Scheme of things, instead of what?s in plain sight, right in front of you ?, he finished.

A very interesting saying, Pixie.

?I thought I was already in?, he said, It appeared that this was going to be harder than he had initially thought. She laughed softly.

?No, no Mr. Zedrin. Reputation alone is not enough to earn one?s place in such an extensive operation. I need to see you in action for myself.?

Nothing ever comes easy in life, Xanatos.

The Overseer gave a cold smile. "That is only if it is ever reported to the authortites. We prefer more personal methods of dealing with theft.?

I?m starting to like this lady already. :D

That made Xanatos start inwardly, though outwardly he kept up his calm demeanor. Trials, he thought with dismay, as in more than one?

Somebody seems a little worried. [face_laugh]

?Why not poison gas??, she asked. Xanatos swallowed. Damn his Jedi training! All those years of having to find non-violent solutions to problems had taken its toll.

?If we kill the guards, the Republic will wage an unofficial war on the underworld. As it is, simply knocking them out will only cause them to tighten security and go on a manhunt for the criminals. If we do this correctly, they?ll not even have a description of us?, he said, hoping to explain away his seeming reluctance to take life.

He knew that the Overseer was testing him. After a tense moment she agreed. ?It does seem to be a better plan?, she admitted, ?but your regard for life is disturbing. See that it does not get in the way of our job.?

?I just don?t like to shed blood needlessly. This time, leaving the guards alive is the easier away. Don?t mistake efficiency for compassion.?

You can take the boy/man out of the Jedi, but you can?t take the Jedi out of the boy/man. :D

?You don?t trust my demolition skills? I know almost exactly what I?m doing.?

?It?s the ?almost? part that gives cause for concern my dear mister Zedrin.? The ship?s computer gave an affirmative beep, indicating that it had been granted clearance to dock. ?Good?, she said softly. ?Most likely we will be mistaken for a maintenance transport. That?ll buy us the time we need to get in and get out.?

I?d be scared too.

That?s what the Darkness was: might made tangible, flowing, frigid black flames in waves of liquid oblivion. Flames that could sear the body with passionate, insensed heat and chill />
  11. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    There'll a post tuesday everyone, provided everything works out. Someone besides rae say something, so I'll know I'm not talking to myself lol.

That would mean I'm crazier than I already am and I don't think I can handle that, heh.
  12. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Sorry for the delay guys. I've been really busy lately. I'll try to have something up monday or tuesday at the latest.
  13. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    Pixel - Just wanted to say I've got this on my "to be read" list. :p I did skim through the first chapter and I must say I like it muchly so far! :D
  14. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    HHP Thanks, glad to have you aboard.

Sorry I still haven't posted guys but I actually have a good reason. I had a sudden death in the family. A cousin of mine died from breast cancer on the 17th and the funeral was today. She was very sick, but they were expecting her to make it past christmas and maybe even to the new year. That wasn't the case though.

I had to go be with the family and such ever since then. I'm really going to try to have it up by the end of the week.
  15. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Sorry for the long delay guys, I've been really swamped. A lot of bad things have happened around here in quick succession on top of normal RL.

Here's a small teaser to set up the final few posts of the first task:

Eravasi lowered her pack to the ground, knelt, and removed two knockout grenades from her pack. She handed Xanatos one, rose, and positioned herself next to the door that led to the spice vault, hand hovering at the ready over the control.

?When I open the door, activate the grenade and throw it in. You?ll need to be fast because there is only a three second delay on these grenades and this type of gas is extremely potent. As soon as we throw these in, we?ll need to shut and seal the door immediately.? Xanatos nodded solemnly in understanding.

?I?m ready?, he said confidently. The Overseer took a deep breath, held her grenade at the ready, and opened the door. The guards inside didn?t even look up. With lightning speed, the pair tossed their grenades into the room as one, and Eravasi shut the door.

Suddenly Xanatos realized that they?d forgotten something, had overlooked one minor detail. ?Eravasi is that door locked?!?, he hissed in alarm. She started suddenly, then stared fixedly at him, frozen, her eyes drifting towards the door. Without hesitation, the Dark Jedi removed his blaster from its holster and shot the locking mechanism.

A moment later there was a whirring sound as someone on the other side of the door attempted to open it, and then loud clanging sounds as they banged on the hard metal in one final, desperate bid to escape the vault- turned prison. Then, all at once, there was silence.

A satisfied smile crossed Xanatos? face, but when he turned to his companion to share the look, he was met with fiery, angry silver orbs.

?Mister Zedrin?, said Eravasi in a calm, even voice, despite the rage that flashed in her eyes, a clear sign that this was the calm before the storm, ?You seem pleased with yourself. Take a moment and think about what you just did.?

Xanatos looked at the blasted lock confusedly. His eyes widened suddenly as the implications of what he?d done sank in. She growled at her companion frustratedly and snapped, ?You blasted the lock you idiot! Now how are we supposed to get in?!?
  16. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm almost done with the post and hope to have it up by the weekend. Don't quote me on that though. :p
  17. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Here it is guys, as promised.

Xanatos grinned sheepishly at Eravasi who angrily slammed her palm against the door. ?We?re locked out! Just what do you propose we do now?? Xanatos met her eyes evenly.

?You?re the boss? he said in a supplicating tone.

Eravasi whirled from her spot at the door to face the Dark Jedi. ?Oh no, Mister Zedrin, YOU got us into this mess and it is you who will get us out! Your brashness may not have just cost us the spice, it may get us caught as well if the guards heard that racket!?

Xanatos looked at her incredulously. ?These walls are sound proofed. I doubt they would hear a Thermal Detonator go off in here, which is good since that?s what we?re going to be using to open the vault." An idea blossomed in his mind. ?And it may just get us out of here as well! Eravasi, do you have any demolitions experience??

?Of course?, she answered, ?Why?"

?The blast core in this Thermal Detonator is made up of plastoid explosives right? Could you remove just enough to blow open a door and still have enough left over to take care of the vault??

Eravasi tapped her chin in deep thought for a moment before replying hesitantly. ?Yes, but it?s impossible to 'borrow' some of the detonating mechanism. How would we set off the material we removed from the grenade??

Xanatos just grinned. ?Would you happen to have any flares in that all-encompassing pack of yours?? Eravasi?s eyes lit up in understanding as she nodded.

?I do have some flares actually, and I know what you?re planning to do. I have to say I didn?t think you would find a way out of this predicament, but you have surprised me yet again Mister Zedrin, which I assure you, is no easy task.?

She carefully opened the detonator and carefully extracted the needed explosive material. After a few more tense moments she managed to get the detonator core to accept the new, smaller amount of plastoid and recalibrated the detonating mechanism to make corrections and adjustment for the smaller payload and the smaller explosion that would result.

Xanatos took the extra material from her and carefully placed it over the blasted lock on the door. ?Stand clear?, he warned, before opening the flare cautiously and standing as far away from the door as his reach would allow. Unknown to his companion, Xanatos used the Force to contain the blast as he touched the flare to the plastoid.

The resultant explosion stretched the limits of his Force abilitites as he fought to contain the blast. Flames licked at him through the shield and force stretched his mind as he held the blast down. He managed to hold his ground and the reaction finally petered out, but the victory had cost him much. His powers were now exhausted and he knew that if they encountered anymore unforeseen complications arise during their escape he would be unable to conjure up any miraculous solutions.

It meant he would have to rely on both his natural abilities and on Eravasi?s talents. He wasn?t sure he liked the idea of trusting either, but was left with little choice in the matter. The woman in question had covered her eyes to shield them from the explosion and had seen nothing of his struggle.

Nevertheless, her eyes narrowed suspiciously at Xanatos. She looked as though she might say something, but then thought better of it and remained silent. Her suspicion however, no matter how well masked was not lost on Xanatos, and he decided to be more careful and more prudent in the use of his powers in the future, both when around her and in general.

The Overseer approached the door with great trepidation and gingerly applied pressure on it with one booted foot. It fell with a loud clang to the cold, hard deck plating, revealing the final room and the contents therein. Xanatos flinched slightly at the sound and looked alertly at the preceding door. Now it was Eravasi?s turn to look slightly sheepish.

?If they didn?t hear the explosion Mister Zedrin, do you really think they?ll hear the door? No need to be jumpy?, she teased. Xanatos gave her a haughty, scathin
  18. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Hi everyone,

You can expect a post sometime next week.

Pixie
  19. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Hey guys, DRL swallowed me up whole, but I should start posting regularly again in a week or two, and I may have another new project up around that time as well, so stay tuned :D

I've had lots of work and a very large funeral to attend, but I wanted to let you guys know I haven't forgotten about this and I'm still around!
  20. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Glad to hear you are around still! :)

Sorry to hear about the loss :( Hope things are well with you and yours.
  21. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Sorry I've been gone for so long everyone. It's been a rough year, but I finally feel as if I'm recovering. Here's to many more, long posties.

"Surely there is a peaceful way we can resolve this conflict", said Eravasi in a smooth tone. Beside her, her cohort prepared himself for the fight he could already sense coming. There were only a handful of Mandalorians left in the galaxy, but even so they were still known for their superior fighting ability and terrible cruelty. If one was willing to plunk down the mountain of credits required to hire one, it was an unspoken guarantee that the job, whatever it was, would get done quickly and efficiently.

While Xanatos formulated his plan of attack, the Overseer continued to bargain. Suddenly, Xanatos was struck by a thought. She's stalling, hoping that I can come up with something to get us out of this mess. She's the big threat, the one they were warned about, so she's keeping their attention fixed on her so they'll be blind to everything else that moves. "There's more than enough spice in there for both of our employers", she continued softly. The odd, greedy gleam in the Mandalorian's eyes grew.

"Not if I'm to take my finder's fee there isn't." Almost imperceptibly, Xanatos stiffened. So that's his game he thought. He wants to keep some of the spice for himself! There's so much of it in that vault, he could take a small fraction and have enough to buy all the pleasurable company on Telos, with just enough left over to buy his own small moon. The Dark Jedi shifted his stance pretending to look nervous in order to get a better view of the horde. There were five guards and the Mandalorian, who was worth a small army by himself. He was the one that would require most of Xanatos? attention, which meant he had to take out the lackeys quickly. The only choice was to shed the ruse and use his full command of the Force, coupled with the strength of the Dark.

The former Jedi made his decision in a split second. The only way to make sure that Eravasi didn?t see anymore than she was meant to was to take her out of the equation. Moving quickly, Xanatos used the Force to strike a physical blow to the back of the young woman?s head, effectively knocking her out. In the next second, he spun to the left, drew his blaster and fired two killing shots in quick succession, catching two guards unawares and sending them into unsuspecting oblivion. With his free hand he flung a widespread force blast that hit the remaining three guards with all the strength of a duracrete wall. The threesome went flying and hit the adjoining wall with a bone-crunching thud. Discarding the blaster in favor of a more civilized weapon, Xanatos used the Force to open the secret compartment in his boot, and call the hidden lightsaber to his hand.

The Mandalorian barely even batted an eyelash. ?They were weak. I have burned, raped and pillaged worlds simply for the glory of conquest and the honor of testing oneself in battle. There is no higher calling. Not serving the greater good, protecting the weak, or worshiping your mystical Force. Do you really think yourself a match for me Jedi?? he spat contemptuously, using the title like a vile curse.

The newly crimsoned blade ignited the poorly lighted corridor in a pale bloody glow, casting a red hungry reflection into the eyes of its master. A feral grin made its way across a pale predatory profile. ?You are absolutely right. No Knight in the order, and probably most Masters aren?t a match for you.

But I serve no one, the only thing I worship is unadulterated power, and I am no Jedi.?
  22. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    My posting schedule is going to be every other saturday. Feel free to poke me every once in a while to make sure I hold to it!

Thanks guys,

Pixie
  23. Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Xan! And... he hates Qui? Good! I'm at my nephew's house right now or I'd read more, but I find what I've read thus far to be stimulating. :D And facinating. And wonderful. [face_love] AND SO DANG GOOD!! Thank you for the story! I'll follow up on it as soon as I can!!

24. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    AACK! I got behind again! Everything about this story is wonderful, from the title to the latest post! =D=
  25. Darth_Pixel Jedi Master

star 2
    Post tommorrow guys. :D

Pixie
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.