main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where did everyone go?

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by strawbary, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Hey there I noticed no one has posted in this forum for about a month now.
    Is there any interest to still continue as a Fanforce chapter?

Otherwise this will move to inactive status after 2 weeks. :(

2. McLOVIN

McLOVIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    I for ine would like to get more talking going on in R.I.

I will help out anyway I can to continue this chapter.

Will anyone else answer this call to solidify this chapter's activity.

I live in Mass. but I live close to the state border.

c'mon I know there are more of you out there that want to keep this chapter afloat.

Are you guys with me?

Massachusetts had to consolidate two chapters into one. We can't afford to have this chapter fold.

It is not a lot to ask I think to participate and start meets going again.

They can be at someone's house or at a park.

This can be achieved.

I say since the current Chapter Rep has not active here in some time that maybe someone else should become the new CR for Providence.

If anyone is interested please post.

Even if you have only posted for a short while here and you have the enthusiasm for fanforce, please post and let us know.

Just so there is no confusion I don't have any problem with the person who is the CR now , I know him and have always considered him a friend. But action must be taken for this chapter to survive.

Chris

3. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm always interested in RI activities. Unfortunately it just looks like there aren't many others who are. :(

4. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I would like to help out with RI as well. There had seemed to be some hope for this chapter a few months ago (before CIV actually) and since then things have become silent.

I hope things are able to get back on track soon. It would suck to see yet another chapter close due to lack of activity.

Jorge

5. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, I don't know really where to begin. So much to say, not sure how to say it. Here goes nothing.

I would nothing more than to see Rhode Island have a thriving and prosperous Fan Force and I hope it does. It has to start again anew. Rhode Squadron, as it existed, is no more. Who, is to blame? While there are man reason why this Fan Force is in the state it is, but I am CR. I am to blame. I certainly have not been productive as a CR, and for that I take full responsibility. I dropped the ball. Was this intentional? No. That doesn't matter. What's done is done. I am sorry for my failures as a CR. I make no excuses. I will, however, let you peek in on how I see things. If after reading this, if it is your prorogative, feel free to yell at me, disagree with me, or hate me. It's ok, I am a grown man. I can take my lumps.

Rhode Squadron has never been a larg group, but, it was a fun group. It was founded as an alterative to Boston. For the most part, people got along well. Rhode Squadron was a tight close knit family. Problem was, even from day one, Rhode Squadron was a little too small. It was made of primarily of members of the Rebels. Most of Rhode Squadron membership were people of dual Fan Forces. Another issue concerning membership was quickly appearant. Almost the entire membership was made up of duel members and/or college students. "What's wrong with that?" one may ask. On the surface, nothing is wrong with a membersip of that nature. However, in order keep a membership of that nature going, new members need to be introduced on a constant nature. Colege students eventually go home (Lisa) or drift away (Sara). Duel members may at some point need to concentrate on one group more than another. (Roseanna, Chris. CR's of another group and major real life issues). That left very few actual Rhode Island members. Then Idari quit. A large driving force behind Rhode Squadron was gone when she left. When I became CR, I tried to stress this point. A small recruiting effort was made, without success. Without new members we weren't going to survive. Then what I feared would happen. The college people went home and/or away. Issues in people's personal life took center stage. (Roseanna, Chris, Ed) Everyone was pulling in different directions. Like Roseanna, I had some major tradejies in my life, and my health went to hell. However, as a leader, I am supposed to be able to overcome issues like that and ensure the group as a whole functions. I did not do my job. I am sorry.

Besides the the makeup of the membership, two other issue makes Rhode Squadron a difficult Fan Force to maintain. First, waining public interest in the Saga. Fan Force was great when the movies were about to show, but after each episode, interest dropped significantly. Now we a long lull. All Fan Forces are suffering. But a group as small as Rhode Squadron was hit hard. The second issue is Rhode Island already has a large successful Sci-Fi club. Compared to them, we don't have much to offer. They have a large base, connections, and their own local access show. It's hard to compete with that.

All that being said. I am still to blame for the state of the Fan Force.

I am always willing to give it another try, but I don't see how we will succeed without some major changes.

I have offered my CR up several times. In fact, the person who honestly be CR, does not want the position.

I want whats best for Fan Force and Rhde Squadron. If that means I can't be a part of it or someone needs to run things, I'm okay with that.

I just fear we are trying to do what was done beofore and the results will be the same (Not one person from RI has responded, its all people from another Fan Force).

Perhaps joining back into the Imperial Syndicate is what's best. I hope not. Anyhow, I know I didn't nearly what I wanted and propably said it all wrong, but, I really and stummped with what else to type.

If anyone wants to contact me further, PM me and we can talk.

Reagrds,

DarthMoby

6. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    I just wanted to let you guys know that my husband and I have recently moved from RI to PA, but I enjoyed chatting with you all while I was here!

7. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Meri,

Good luck with the move. I hope you will be happy in PA. It was great having you around and chatting during your stay. I hope we see you at events and such.

8. OldjediMasterYoda

OldjediMasterYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005

Hi there !!

i haven't been around much but definitely willing to chat it up if anyone is interested has any IM access etc

Hope all are well

W

9. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    OK guys, I didn't want to have to do this, but as of now I need to place you on 2 week warning for inactive status :(

If you guys need ANY help at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

10. VortPiggy

VortPiggy Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2003
    HI! James here... regarding RISFC... we've been around for 20 years now... but our membership has been pretty static for the last several years. We are a diverse group... each person is into their main specific fandom thing be it gaming, movies/tv, books, etc. You all as a group and as individuals are always welcome to come by our meetings or events. Just check the risfc.org site for info. Some of us will be at conventions also... Arisia and Boskone coming soon. I still intend to make a lightsaber, but those Force ones are nice. I am and will always be a star wars fan. Also you may want to consider doing a guest segment on our Sci Fi Journal show that airs on RI Interconnect A. Or we can do a roundtable discussion. We are always looking for new content for the show and we could do a Rhode Squadron report, especially if any of you have been to Celebration.

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.