main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where did Kenobi find the $$ to hire Solo?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NY_Sith_Lord, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY_Sith_Lord

NY_Sith_Lord Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2006
    Since it's known that Jedi are not allowed to accept money and dont really have much at all, how did Kenobi afford to pay Solo??

I know Luke sold his speeder and they promised him money upon their arrival, but I still think they were short on the initial payment.

How did he pay Solo up front?

2. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    "We can pay you 2,000 now, plus 15 when we reach Alderaan."

Luke sold the speeder for 2,000. The Alliance provided the 15,000.

3. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, TECHNICALLY, they never arrived, so maybe ne never had to pay the money since they never made it to their place of arrival.

OR

Obi Wan DID save some money. Considering there was not really a formal jedi code anymore (since there were pretty much no more jedi), he decided to get a job and save some money, thinking that such a situation might come up.

OR

Since she was PRINCESS Leia, she may have had some money...NOT on Alderaan...that she paid solo off with.

OR

Most likely, I would say the rebels paid him for transporting the death star plans to them.

I think how he got paid is not really important, but STILL a good question...

Kirby

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Agreed. I think the money Han did end up taking away from Yavin was the reward money for rescuing Leia - not the payment Obi-Wan had promised. And I don't think it really mattered to him anyway. Afterall, Han is a business man and he did end up with his money either way.

5. Jedi_Porkins

Jedi_Porkins Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2006
    I think the Jedi Council pays some coin because I remember Kenobi bought a drink at the bar in Star Wars 2 and in ANH he was going to buy the Docter a drink to get him to leave Luke alone.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Yeah, Han was loading quite a bit of money up after bringing the Princess back to Yavin safely. I think that the alliance posthumously honored Obi-Wan's promise of cash.

Obi-Wan had to have some type of job on Tatooine, was able to tap into the Jedi cash reserves before going into hiding, or stole from people. Force or not, the guy had to eat and drink at least water (If not something stronger) during his 20 or so years in exile.

Carnage

7. Golwen

Golwen Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    It was the money that Luke got for his speeder, which isn't as much as Luke had hoped but "will be enough"

8. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Obi Wan still had the Republic Credits that Anakin won in the first one, as well. When they got to Corusant, Qui Gon opened an UTMA (uniform transfer to minors act) with Obi Wan as a joint account holder custodian. After Qui Gon died, Obi Wan was the sole holder of the republic credits debit card, which he kept in his utility belt package for emergencies.

9. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    DartButt and Golwen both hit it on the head!

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Even if Obi-Wan hadn't been able to get Luke and the Alliance to put up the dough, maybe the Jedi had some kind of 401(k) plan he could have pulled a few credits from. ;)

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    (big sigh) watch the film. isn't this obvious. not to flame but, c'mon dude.

12. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    Well that all depends if the Republic's 401K is fully transferrable to the Galactic Empire 401K plan. And then of course Obi-Wan probably lost it all when all his stock options bombed after the New Order was put in place. What really sucks though is that the Empire only pays .25 on the credit, and only up to 3%...and they only pay out once per year instead of monthly, so you loose the monthly interest you would gain by more credits in each month. [face_frustrated]

13. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    The big question I have is, do you have to file in person at the Imperial Public Center for unregister Force Users? Once there is it the Personel's Department responsibility to pay up or do I have to go over to the Imperial Military Pursers Office? Now if I file off-planet, do I have to show current proof of residance or can I give a standard Hologram receiving R-unit for an address?

Also, do I have to declair I own a light sabre before filling out the paper work? If I do declair my address to be the R-unit does it have to prove that it is not currently carrying a light saber or that it is currently carrying a light saber? What if I lost my light saber does this mean if I have a R-unit for an address I can no longer claim it to receive funds?

(hates 401 forms...)

--Onnie

14. PyrhanaJEDI

PyrhanaJEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2003
    This question is sort of ambiguous...please don't tell me that this person saw the scene where Han Solo agrees on flying for money and is asking about this...

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm pretty sure they got the whole 2000 credits from Luke's speeder, meaning that Obi-Wan had nothing on him at the time.

16. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    Well that all depends if the Republic's 401K is fully transferrable to the Galactic Empire 401K plan. And then of course Obi-Wan probably lost it all when all his stock options bombed after the New Order was put in place. What really sucks though is that the Empire only pays .25 on the credit, and only up to 3%...and they only pay out once per year instead of monthly, so you loose the monthly interest you would gain by more credits in each month.

The big question I have is, do you have to file in person at the Imperial Public Center for unregister Force Users? Once there is it the Personel's Department responsibility to pay up or do I have to go over to the Imperial Military Pursers Office? Now if I file off-planet, do I have to show current proof of residance or can I give a standard Hologram receiving R-unit for an address?

Also, do I have to declair I own a light sabre before filling out the paper work? If I do declair my address to be the R-unit does it have to prove that it is not currently carrying a light saber or that it is currently carrying a light saber? What if I lost my light saber does this mean if I have a R-unit for an address I can no longer claim it to receive funds?

(hates 401 forms...)

--Onnie

:eek: :eek: :oops: :-B 8-}

17. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    ^^^lol....how 'bout quoting those properly :D

;)

18. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Luke sold his speeder, and cashed in on the Lars' life insurance policy. As for the rest of the money, Kenobi only promised him 15 more, not 15,000. In total Han only got 2,015 credits... Which he used to buy boxes on Yavin IV.

19. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

ha ha ha!

On the death star, Obi Wan also mind tricked 14 storm troopers into putting their direct deposit into his account.

20. Darth_Infernous

Darth_Infernous Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005

He got the money through selling deathsticks everyone knows that.

21. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Isn't it obvious, he used a Jedi Mind trick:

"you don't need your money"

"I don't need my money"

"you will give all your money to me"

"I will give all my money to you"

22. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    he'd prolly get money from bail organa on alderran.

23. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Don't think Obi-Wan really had a job on Tat. It'd be a b**** to commute from "out beyond the Dune Sea". What does he need a job for? No one's gonna repo his hovel in the Jundland Wastes, and he could probably get food/water by
    A) getting a vaporator (provides water, and according to AOTC, edible mushrooms grow on them)
    B) Learning how Tuskens and/or Jawas get food and water and imitating them.

24. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    Jedi have mysterious places for what they call "Hiding their booty"

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He got the money from Luke selling his speeder, but the Jedi Order, before it was destroyed, wasn't broke by any means and the Jedi probably had access to funds if they needed while on assignment or a mission.

The Rebellion would have no problems paying Han if Obi Wan told them to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.