main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where did the clothes come from

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SSIntimidator, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    So I was introducing my daughter to Star Wars - two weeks ain't too young!! - and it never dawned on me that following the trash compactor scene they had their original clothes on. boots and all. So exactly where did they hide all that junk?

And on a side note, Y-Wing, you have a swivel turret, you telling me ya can't shoot down the TIE fighters behind ya!!!

Carry on.

2. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I'm sure they had the clothes on underneath the armor, probably was a tight fit, but it's possible.

As for the y-wings, I believe the turret can only be swiveled when it's the 2 man version with the rear gunner controlling it. Otherwise I believe it has to be locked in front or back.

3. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    lol I was wondering this but I was afraid to ask for being labeled a dork

oh wait its theforce.net duh

But it is a good question. Maybe it was the force? I reallyy have no idead though, the clothes maybe make sense under the gear....kind of ?

But the boots?

I dunno, it is kind of odd

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    aww, I thought this was about Leia's Hippie Dress :p

as to the question: their clothes were the same place where Clark Kent keeps his cape and boots [face_mischief]

5. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    That is a good question. Hmm...

Well, Chewy could of had some of the stuff in his little satchel thing...

Or they could have just been wearing it under the ST gear...

Well they were in a trash compactor. Maybe someone found clothes lying around and threw them in the trash. Luke finds them just as they leave "The force IS strong with me"

Really I dont know. Its just one of those movie things you dont really question, like how no matter what the hero gets into, his hair is always fixed.

6. sonofcoruscant

Feb 14, 2006
    Holy Bea Arthurs raging force ghost

Chewies satchel! OF COURSE! The saga makes sense....that totally is a real possibility good call

As for people throwing the clothes away, well that could be. But woudln't that make the imperials really stupid...oh wait. Yes they are both good options.

And I love Leias hippie Ewok dress. They must have made it just for her, like super quick. Its those small hands, like chinese children. Ah, Ewok slave labor, it makes the galaxy spin

7. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    From my own experience wearing stormtrooper armor, I can tell you, no way in hell did they have their clothes on under it. And Chewies pouch is too small to have two sets of clothes and two pair of boots in there.

Also, look at the armor on the floor behind them... it DOES NOT come off in one neat piece like that.

8. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Hah, I noticed the armor on the floor and laughed pretty hard at that.

Once of the many things in the movies that make you stop and come back to reality.

And, in the detention center, if the elevator door was blasted open wouldn't that render the shaft unusable therfore limiting the amount of reinforcements that could show up :)

9. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I want to see the EU take this obvious error on :D

10. sonofcoruscant

Feb 14, 2006
    Where is the comic series about this? Where is the animated shows about this? THIS IS STAR WARS. I dont care about Legacy, or Jacen whining about whatever, or what Imperial fool is being blown up. Stop the presses, hold the phones. I want to know about the clothes. I want illustrated guides and cross sections, specials and laser shows conventions, figures, statues, cards, RPGs...until...until....we've had enough.

And then more.

....sigh

I love this crap

11. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    Under the armor.

12. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Not so loud or it'll be retconned in a future DVD release!

13. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Oh so you have real rmour from the movie do you?

Just becuse your 'dress up' armour doesn't come off like that doesn't mean that's not how it works in the SW galaxy [face_talk_hand]

14. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    That's a pretty hilarious observation. The clothes I never wondered about even though Stormtroopers look like they have a nearly skintight body suit (somewhat like a diving suit) on underneath the armor, but the boots!! The boots!! Another question might be why did they bother to take the armor off? Even if Leia and Chewie were recaptured Leia could have told Luke where to take R2 so that the plans (the most important thing at that point in the story, ie Luke becoming a Jedi not yet a plot point)could have escaped.

Re: the Y-wings even if the astromechs aboard could have operated the swivel cannons I chalk the not trying up to the fact that it took several minutes for Vader and two wingmen to shoot down the rebel ships...in a narrow trench! Why even bother if it was that difficult?

15. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    It is quite evident that Han and Luke had dressed themselves into the stormtrooper armor with their clothes intact. Think about it. Do you really think, Stormtroopers would run around naked in their armor? Ofcourse not. They have clothes underneath as well. Thus the armor would be created to fit over clothes. Now for the boots, well the boots and the armor are seperate. Stromtroopers wear their own imperial boots under the shins and casing of the armor, so Han and Luke could fit their own boots under it.

So when they easily remove the armor (for real in-galaxy armor is in no way like fan costumes on earth) there clothes and boots were preserved safely underneath.

Now, as for the reason why they even removed the armor? Well they just spent the past 20 minutes or so in a trash compacter. The armor probally reeks. Besides how obvious would it be for stormtroopers to be running around with dripping armor? Also, if you remember, they lost their helemts. The armor is pretty useless as a diguise when the most vital componet is missing. Thus, they just took the equipment they could use from the utility belt and discarded the armor outside the trash compacter.

There is also a symbolic meaning of the good guys wearing stormtrooper armor and then discarding it at the right time, but I won't get into that here.

As for the Y-Wings.

All the weaponry power was focused on the bombs that would be shot into the reacter shaft and at this time, TIES chasing them into the trench wasen't thought of. Remember it was a suprise. The weaponry on a Y-Wing is very limited. Its more of a bomber than a fighter.

I hope that helps.

Just remember, things take you out of the movie only if you let it.

Your focus determines your reality.

16. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Wasn't that turret an ion cannon?

17. AlexBullet

AlexBullet Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2006
    The Imperials knew the people who rescued Leia were wearing armour, so they were looking for them like that. Isn't there a deleted scene in which the heroes just stroll down a corridor trying to blend in?

Yes there is, see a still here: http://www.blueharvest.net/images/cut/cut-dstar.jpg

18. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    The troopers were black bodysuits under the armor, hence the black and white uniform. Putting on a vest, shirt, trousers and then the black suit would be a pain.

19. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Under the white bits of the armor is a black body glove, like Spandex; there's no way you're wearing clothing under that.

There's a story told on one of the DVDs somewhere, where after the trash compactor scene Mark Hamill goes up to George Lucas and says, "Hey! We were just swimming in garbage, I got dunked underwater...why is my hair dry and perfect?"
    Harrison Ford taps him on the shoulder and says, "It's not that kinda movie, son."

In my never-humble opinion, that's the answer to this question. Just sayin'...

20. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    First of all.

Luke IS itching his head and hair, implying it was dipped in dirty water and junk. Alot of time passes in-between scenes. Time enough for his hair to have dried, esp. since he's been rubbing it. Like when I get out of the shower, it takes me maybe 3 minutes to dry my hair. Guys hair dries pretty fast. But you can tell Luke's hair is still damp. As for the Han and Leia's hair, they weren't pulled underwater. Han's dirt and scum was on his ARMOR not on him, so when he took it off, his clothes were clean. If you notice, Leia's dress is VERY dirty when she emerges from the trash compacter.

You don't know if this trooper armor can fit over clothes. Luke's shirt was very very light and soft. Han's vest is the only problem. Perhaps he had folded it and stored it in Chewbaccas's little tool bag.

21. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I dont to think of stormtroopers naked under their armor.

They may have pockets in the armor or hust under the armor.

22. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Of course they are naked under all those layers of armor and that black stuff (whoever called it a bodysuit or something has my support). My femtrooper-daydreams would be ruined if they didn't :p

Aaaanyway, why would they (xtroopers) even need any clothes under that armor? [face_thinking]

23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Jeez, don't you know the female troopers are wearing lacy black push-up bras and panties under their armor?

Of course, so are the male troopers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.