main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where did the Jedi training ball come from?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by midthomp, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    Where did the training thing come from that Luke used on the Falcon in ANH?
    I don't think Han needed to do lightsaber training and it was kind of big for Obi to have in his pocket.

2. Boba_Kris

Boba_Kris Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    I don?t think the training ball is that big. So maybe Obi-Wan had it on him. After all, he does wear that big robe and he could be carrying anything under that thing.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's Han's; he uses it for blaster target practice, since a stun bolt would knock the remote out without damaging it.

4. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    What about when Ben grabbed the helmet off the wall and Han gets this look on his face like "Hey,who said you could touch that?"

5. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I prefer to think that Obi-Wan brought it with him from his hut on Tatooine. Even if Obi-Wan didn't have it on him when he, Luke, and the droids finally went to the hangar where the Falcon was, he could have possibly used a courier to send it on ahead to the hangar while he finished up his business deal with that alien buying Luke's speeder. But that it belonged to Han, who used it for target practice also does make sense.

6. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    The cool thing about those Jedi cloaks is that they have roomy pockets inside for carrying Training remotes. ;)

And while I'm sure there's some EU source that credits Han for having it on board, that wasn't very well thought out. Han expresses his distrust for, and the unreliability of a training remote, as compared to a real-life target, so I fail to see why he would keep one around.

7. TOMCAT1297

TOMCAT1297 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2003
    Ben had it stashed away in the trunk with the lightsaber!

8. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think remotes are very common things (and I think they're useful too, I sure could use one) and Han did have one on the Falcon. Obi-Wan just programmed it to do lightsaber training.

Even if Han doesn't use it for target practice, there are other uses, like using it to check out hard to reach places.

9. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Or as a paper weight.

10. jediknight_2033

jediknight_2033 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2002
    The training remote is Obi-wan's. He brought it with him from his hut since he knew he would be training Luke.

11. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I agree that the remote is Obi-Wan's. I don't see what a non Force user would need it for. I think it's appearance in the Yoda and the Younglings scene in AOTC seals the deal.

12. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think that it was probably Han's. Look others have said it could be used for target practice and I don't think Obi-Wan was carrying it around Mos Eisley.

13. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    Yes but Niktos, he was watching over Luke. He wouldn't recieve his Training from Owen now would he?

He probably had it for the Time when he would train Luke.

Qui-Gon-Kim is right, the Scene in AOTC seals the Deal ;)

14. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I don't think it's as clear cut. The fact is that we don't know where it came from. Just because they were in AOTC doesn't mean the one in ANH was Obi-Wan's. The blast shield definitely wasn't and we even saw something similar in AOTC.

15. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I agree with Ardens. Just because the Jedi trained with them doesn't mean they're something exclsive to the PT Jedi Order. They could've been mass-produced by a military hardware manufacturing company, and the Jedi bought some for their own use.

Han's skepticism of the remote can be explained by A) pride, B) A living gunman would adapt to a lightsaber faster than the remote, C) mechanicals don't seem to get much respect in the GFFA (See Obi-wan's "If droids could think..." comment in AOTC), and D) the remote doesn't fire fatal blasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.