main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where did the rebels get their arms?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPoppy, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    As the Rebel Alliance was a rag-tag group of like minded people illegally fighting against the Empire, how did they obtain starfighters, weapons, etc. They obviously would not have had facilities to build them (we see their secret bases which they keep moving in Star Wars and Empire as well as hearing of the base they abandoned on Dentoine in Star Wars). Are they stolen Imperial ships? Were they bought from systems outside of the jurisdiction of the Empire? If they are Imperial, why do we never see the Empire using similar ships? Are they just old surplus ships? This wouldn't make sense since the X-wings and Y-wings seem superior to the Tie fighters in Star Wars. I know this must be explained somewhere in EU, but it is never clear in the movies, which is all I am familiar with. So please EU people, enlighten me! Thanks.

2. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    From their shoulders! 8-}

3. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I think that some of the cruisers were Mom Calamarian pleasure ships, as stated in one of the JAT books

4. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    They were made up of "separtist" type planets and systems... when Palpatine became the Emperor and formed the Galactic Empire, essentially destroying democracy, you would have to assume that some planets and systems weren't so gung ho about losing their democratic republic...they weren't all blinded and duped by the Dark Lord... it's like Leia said "the tighter your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." Those rebel planets and star systems had ships and fighters still from the republic days...if they are going to fight the Empire, they're not going to give them their ships...and before the Death Star there wasn't much they could do about it but try to invade the planet, etc....that's why they made the Death Star, so they could simply destroy any planet or system that stood against them....that is why in ep.4, the Emperor was able to abolish the Emperial Senate, he didn't need any beurocracy to keep the systems in line...now anyone who didn't agree with the Emperor would be destroyed or scared into obeying reluctantly.

Where did the Millenium Falcon come from..it wasn't built by the Empire.... same thing.

5. Rouge_Three

Rouge_Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    I think I remember reading somewhere that the X-Wing was originally an Imperial ship that was stolen by Rebel forces and modified into the X-Wing we all know today. Don't know if it's true or not.

As for most of the Rebel's gear, they probably got a lot of it from the black market.

6. LATOPADEYOR

Jun 20, 2005
    there were alot of X-wing variants in ep.3.... they just had a turned down nose....

7. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    there were alot of X-wing variants in ep.3.... they just had a turned down nose....

That was an ARC-170, a precursor to the X-Wing. It wasn't a variant.

8. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    The X-wing starfighter became the premiere Alliance weapon when the Empire nationalized the Incom Corporation. Technicians and suppliers in the employ of Incom were secretly sympathetic to the Alliance, and during a daring Rebel raid, they defected to the Rebellion, bringing the X-wing fighter prototypes with them. Like its predecessor, the Incom/Subpro Z-95, the X-wing fighter has a reputation for being able to absorb damage, but is also quite fast and maneuverable. In response to the X-wing fighter threat, the Empire designed the new TIE interceptor to be its space superiority fighter. The X-wing would become the mainstay fighter for the Alliance for much of the Galactic Civil War.

That's for the X-Wing anyway. The Rebellion developed the A and B-Wind during the battle. All of this is available at Starwars.com in the databank.

9. LATOPADEYOR

Jun 20, 2005
    That's what I meant, I chjose my wording poorly but I'm pretty sure everyone knew what I meant, but you can nitpick if you want....I expect it on internet forums...you should point out spelling mistakes too, because I'm proofreading all of this like it was an essay for 3rd year University Biology. And sorry, I didn't read all the books and stuff, I only know what is in the movies, so, whatever...

10. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    my question is, why the heck would they call the TIE-advanced, 'advanced' I mean it's based on a 30 year old fighter design, I guess you could call it retro, but still

11. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    lol, 3rd year biology TAs, and in fact bio TAs period, I've never run across a single one that didn't hate themselves for getting stuck babysitting undergrads, lol, I don't think one of them has ever graded a lab report based on content, more like.. oh man, that's like more then 2 pages long, and you used all those sciency words

can't blame 'em though, any university relying on federal funding for medical research has had to slice their budgets 10 fold, the first cost cutting measure of course is to fire everyone in the biology deparpment, and replace them with overworked, underqualified, 1st year grad students, lol

12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    An underground organisaion always has armour... [face_peace]

13. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005
    I posted a thread in the ROTS board discussing the answer to this topic.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=19988802&start=20340095

Did vader forget to deactivate the droid army...

Watched ROTS this morning (again) and something dawned on me.

After destroying the Separtist leadership, Vader informed the Emperor. The Emperor instructed Vader to deactive the Droid/Separtist army.

After talking with the Emperor, Vader sees Padme's ship on radar. Vader races to meet Padme.

Vader never gave the order to deactivated the droid/separtist army...

Question 1- Was the droid army ever deactivated?
    Question 2- If not, did the early rebels take possesion of the remaining Droid army to use?
    Did they take there ships, droids, weapons?

I believe vader forgot to deactivate the army and the early rebellion took hold of the ships, weapons, etc..

14. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Who Cares. The real question is, Where did they get thier legs?

15. Jon_Bon_Kenobi

Jon_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    DarthPoppy.

When a human being is born he is born with 4 limbs. Two arms and two legs. The rebels were born with their arms. McFlyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    ;)

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Born wiff 'em.

17. Master_Zaraz

Master_Zaraz Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2005
    Alderaan was one of the many planets that gave the Alliance money and equipment. Using the money, they could've possibly bought other equipment off the black market.

18. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    just a thought, but im thinking that the Rebellion rose from the ashes of the Separatist movement. with all the droids shut down, it wasnt too hard to claim all of the equipment and weapons they left behind. this is my best guess as to how they are equipped as well as they are. its not too hard to believe that a transition like this would take place, as theres not really a vacuum left when a large group like that is deposed. most usually, another moves in to replace the old, be they benevolent and on the side of right or worse than the previous military structure...

19. RedKitten

RedKitten Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    They stole some, borrowed others, found some, made them themselves, alsorts of ways to get weapons, mabey they bought them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.