main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where did Vader go?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    At the end of A New Hope, after the Death Star explodes, we see that memorable final shot of Darth Vader flying off into space in his Tie Fighter.

What I've always been curious about is where he went afterwards, whether he had enough power in his Tie Fighter to travel to some Imperial Space Port or if he was picked up by a Star Destroyer. Obviously something like this will employ an EU answer (unless this is something that has never been covered in the EU novels).

As a side not, I've always been curious about what Vader might have been thinking after the Death Star blew.

"Tarkin dead. Imperial dignitaries dead. Stormtroopers dead. Death Star destroyed. Nobody left. Me alone....This was not a good day."

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    His TIE had a hyperdrive, and his experiences immediately after the Battle of Yavin are chronicled in the Empire comic series(#14, I think). He crashed on a planet or something-- haven't read it.

3. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    "Tarkin dead. Imperial dignitaries dead. Stormtroopers dead. Death Star destroyed. Nobody left. Me alone....This was not a good day."

He flew to a clinic for depression .

4. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    You're right Darht_Guy, it was issue 14 of Empire which describes Vader crashing on a remote planet where he finds an Imperial outpost.

There's also a 2-page humourous story (from issue 16 of Star Wars Tales) which shows Vader in his TIE immediately after the Death Star explodes. Obi-Wan's ghost visits him and basically says, "I told you so." Vader wasn't in a very good mood.

EDIT: Ironically the title of that 2-page story was, "The Long, Bad Day."

5. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    He probably just landed back on the moon with the Rebel Base on it.

6. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    He doesn't have to mope for that long cause he leads an assault on the base at Yavin a little later in Rogue Leader.

7. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    He went to some remote outpost before returning to the Emperor.

8. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    I think this is incorrect, but I remember reading somewhere that he headed straight for Coruscant. Wasn't EU or anything, but some fan-site I think.
    Anyways, haven't read the 1st Empire comic, but that most certanly outweighs any fansite info. :)

9. JebZingo

JebZingo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    Where do fansites rank on the hierarchy of official Star Wars canon?

Oh, wait, I almost forgot - I don't care.

10. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    How many Imperial officers did Vader choke in issue 14 of Empire?

11. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I would imagine he would be anxious to find a Star Destroyer and deliver some payback to the rebels Yavin house.

12. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Didn't it take Vader and the Imps a while (something like 5 or 6 months) to actually strike back at Yavin?

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The issue of Empire was titled "The Savage Heart"- it will be collected in the upcoming 3rd volume TPB of Empire titled "The Imperial Perspective".

Vader's return to Coruscant is also covered some in one of the Star Wars Mission books from Scholastic ("Darth Vader's Return", I believe).

>> Didn't it take Vader and the Imps a while (something like 5 or 6 months) to actually strike back at Yavin?<<

An Imperial blockade was established around the Yavin system within a month of the Death Star's destruction (accounting for time for Vader to get back, report and get some ships dispatched all the way out there).

Vader held off on a final attack under the Executor could complete it's construction and be used to crush the Rebels in a spectacular manner that would make up for the loss of the Death Star. That happened 6 months after the Death Star's destruction.

14. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Vader held off on a final attack under the Executor could complete it's construction and be used to crush the Rebels in a spectacular manner that would make up for the loss of the Death Star.

That's...well, dumb. Why wait 5 months for one ship, when a couple of transports with AT-ATs could have done the job?

And why would it take so long for Vader to report back? He wouldn't need to go to Corusant, just to any planet with a long-range communicator.

15. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    And why would it take so long for Vader to report back? He wouldn't need to go to Corusant, just to any planet with a long-range communicator.

Except that I think he felt he had to report to the Emperor personally. After all, with the Death Star being destroyed and all, you need to report this in person, and not by doing the "Star Wars" equivalent of talking over the phone.

16. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I belive he went stright to Coruscant to give his report to The Emperor about The Empire's loss at Yavin.

17. Moojieba

Moojieba Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2004
    Also, isn't there a mention in "Shadow of the Empire" that the Emperor was so angry at Vader when the DS was destroyed that Vader was nearly killed, but instead he was severely "punished" or something like that.

18. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Also, isn't there a mention in "Shadow of the Empire" that the Emperor was so angry at Vader when the DS was destroyed that Vader was nearly killed, but instead he was severely "punished" or something like that.

Yeah. He lost his hand. The hand he had already lost almost 20 years ago. But let's not get into that. :p

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Right. Vader probably stabalized the Fighter and flew to the nearest Destroyer or something like that.

20. DaMovieMan

DaMovieMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2001
    Originally posted by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE:

Hahaha...hey, ST...can I put that as my signature? That's great. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    If you want to :D

But I expect to be paid [face_frustrated]

22. DaMovieMan

DaMovieMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2001
    ::sighs::

::pulls out wallet::

::takes out credit card::

::hands it over to ST::

:)

23. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    he flew off thinking: "I hope the emperor doesn't kick my sith a**."

24. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Vader: "I hope the Holiday Inn takes Empire Visa!"

25. Diogonese

Diogonese Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    ...judging by the title, I thought this was going to be another Darth Vader "bathroom" thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.