main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Where did you see The Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Apr 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I know this was asked on the old UBB forum, but that was long ago.

I saw it the very first showing at the Ziegfeld theater. :)

2. BobaPhil

BobaPhil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I was there too! 1st showing. One of the best experiences of my life. Can't wait for EPII!!! :D

3. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    I was there with BobaPhil and some other friends too. I was one of the Darth Mauls (the best one) [face_devil]

4. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    i went to the charity premiere at loews astor plaza. after that i saw it several times at the palisades center in west nyack.

5. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    I had no choice in the matter of where I saw it. I saw it in Bayside.

6. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Loews at the Palisades Center

7. New York Jedi

New York Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 1999
    Zigfeld here, opening day at 5 in the morning yieks. But a lot of fun.

8. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I saw it at The Regent. That's the Hoyts Regent on Queen Street Mall in Brisbane, Australia. Why that should be of interest to you guys is not important. I was just wandering through your pages and decided to contribute.

For what it's worth:
    It was the night before opening night. There was a VIP screening (press, local personalities, people who know people) and someone in the local fan club got us a gig dressing up and entertaining the kids that were there. It was pretty cool.

We saw the midnight screening which followed that (we went to a nearby pub (in full Jedi regalia) while the VIP screening was on). To be honest, dressing up and being silly and all the hype was the highlight of the night. The film didn't hold a torch to the build up.

9. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    i saw (i admit my shame) on a memorial day trip after it came out. i wanted to wait to see it with my friends (scout troop). we took a memorial day trip to DC (from central NJ) and i saw it with them. it was great and we talked about SW for a long time. I remember pronouncing qui-gon quee-gee-one which became "squeeze me one" and we discovered god is really a jedi (and the devil is a sith) and made up a whole religion.

10. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Opening night at the Ziegfeld. Most fun I've ever had in a movie theater!

Next night was the 2:30 AM showing at the Union Square 14, in one of the THX rooms. The sound rocked. I still have my ticket from that showing..

11. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Sounds to me like most of you enjoyed the "expreience" of seeing the film, rather than the film itself. Would that be a fair assumption? That's certainly the way it was for me.

12. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    sure seems that way otter, and I will have to agree. :)

13. Jedi_Knightmare

Jedi_Knightmare Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2001
    I saw TPM at The Hoyts Cinema in Fishkill opening weekend. I was surprised it was not sold out, so I treated my brother to an early afternoon showing.

14. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    I agree, I think most of the enjoyment came from being surrounded by 1,299 screaming SW fans. Taken alone, the movie itself is pretty good (the first 30 times anyway), and serves well to introduce the Star Wars saga, but the party atmosphere at the Ziegfeld magnified the experience 100 times over.

One year from this coming Wednesday, the magic will return. :)

15. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    I decided to get a good nights rest and watched the 8:00, 10:30, 1:00 & 4:30 at the movie theater on 14th street, they had one theater with the correct sound quality. Best day of work i've ever had...

Saw the first trailer at Zigfield though.
    None

16. Dervish

Dervish Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2001
    I saw it at the Kahala Mall theatre in Honolulu Hawaii 2 years ago. I was busy with a relative at the hospital, so I didn't even get to see the movie until June, before that I just read the novel, because it came out 2-3 weeks before the movie and I just couldn't contain myself. NEVER DO THAT ... just have some self control. I definetely wont do that again when Ep II comes out. Any idea where the NY crew will see Ep 2 next year?

Dervish
    Long Island, NY

17. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    We are hoping for the Ziegfeld theater, thats where most of us saw TPM. I am also hoping to see it at AMC Empire 25 on the Digital Projection.

18. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    This Ziegfield theatre seems like the place to be. I wonder if I might be in New York in May 2002?
    I started getting excited about Ep II today. I borrowed the new videos of the SE Trilogy from a student of mine to see the EP II bit. It looks like there is going to be a lot of tid bits for older fans in this film.
    I think that's what will happen, as the new films get closer and closer to the Star Wars we knew as kids, it will resonate more with me. TPM seemed too Nintendo generation!

19. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    No Otter thats just you getting old.

20. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I saw it at the Lowes Rt 10 West in NJ (sory , dont rember the toenship)
    Wanted to see itin NY but my friends who live in NJ didnt want to travel in to the city that day.

21. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Saw the midnight premiere at a decent stadium-seated movieplex in Hunt Valley, MD (north of Baltimore) with a fairly enthusiastic crowd/line who had a mildly entertained response. A cynical, chain-smoking musician sat next to me and dozed off during the film.

People laughed when the Tusken Raiders cheered their pod-shots, and oohed and ahhed at the Duel of the Fates.

"Not a Great Film, but a Good Flick; better than Jedi, not as good as the first two," was my first comment afterward.

**Piett**
    Not planning to return to Baltimore for Ep.II

22. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I saw it at hoyts regent, with otter. He cut a fine figure in his jedi costume, and even appeared in the newspaper the next day with obi-wan Mr Neech.
    I did get in to the special preview screening that started at 6.30, but since I got in at like 7.00 I don't really count it. You gotta see the scroll...

23. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Piett

I used to go down to Hunt Valley for Shoreleave & Farpoint at the Marriott. Was there last Octber for Farpoint. The con sucked.

How long have you been in NY?

24. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Whoops! Left a question hanging . . .

Answer: a month-and-a-half now, citizenjohn. Feels like it's been like a year and a half already. This town roughs you up and ages you at an accelerated pace.

Ah, the Hunt Valley Marriott -- the site of many record-conventions for me, back when vinyl was still about. Oodles of cash shelled out for bootlegged B-sides that would later finally be officially released on CD . . . but it was all about the moment, then. Ripeness is all.

**Piett**
    Coming this summer to a NY traffic court near you!

25. asax

asax Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2001
    I was right up there with y'all at the 12:00 Ziggy show, I'll never forget seat H107. If you don't know I LOVE Episode I, it gets better every time I see it. But that first show really had little to do with the movie itself, except that for me it was just the cherry on top. That experience was about the fruition of a lot of hard work, the creation of friendships that have lasted for 2 and a half years already, and about being in a room with 1400 people who knew EXACTLY how you felt about something that not too many people would understand. In short, it was totally tubular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.