main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where do Clone wars cartoon fit into storyline?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Ghana, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ghana

Darth_Ghana Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2004
    Are they official or more EU cause if anakin truly does have a vision like he does in chapter 24 how does he not know what was going to happen to him (like luke does in the OT)?

2. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    They are official. The fit inbetween AotC and RotS.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They are considered Expanded Universe, though the basic framework of some of the events are adapted from a novel that did have some input from Lucas.

4. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    But they still fit in between AotC and RotS. So, I'm kinda right, right? ::slight shrug::

5. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    They fit inbetween AOTC and ROTS. Technically it's EU, but probably more valid then post ROTJ or pre TPM EU.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But they still fit in between AotC and RotS. So, I'm kinda right, right?<<

Yeah, but the same could be said about a lot of other EU too ;)

7. -Commander_Cody-

-Commander_Cody- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 17, 2005
    I think George Lucas was actually involved in creating the episodes. So I consider them official.

8. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    As I. I don't think of it as EU bc it's a cartoon or visual. I think of books as EU for some reason.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lucas wasn't directly involved in the cartoons- he pretty much let Genndy do his own thing.

Lucas involvement in the cartoons is indirect: first Lucas worked with the author of the novel Labyrinth of Evil, and then LFL passed on the plot of LOE to Genndy to use as a basis for his cartoons.

Anything not in the films is considered EU, so that includes TV such as the Ewok movies, Holiday Special, the Droids & Ewok cartoons & now the Clone Wars series, in addition to the novels, comics, games and reference material.

10. Steve_Dave

Steve_Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    " Anything not in the films is considered EU,"

Why would films written by Lucas be OK but TV shows like The Ewok Adventure which Lucas is a writer not be?

11. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    Why would films written by Lucas be OK but TV shows like The Ewok Adventure which Lucas is a writer not be?
    Well, two arguments here. One is that Lucas wishes to somewhat disown all of these separate programs as he has done with the Holiday Special.

Also, these are, in all honesty an expansion to the central plot of his universe, that being the story of Anakin Skywalker as told only in the films. The term official really ONLY applies to the six films and nothing more. This doesn't mean that the others are 'fake' or 'not cannon'. Official, at least in my mind, has come to signify something different in the case of Lucas' world. I hate to bring in a religious argument for fear that I might earn someone's wrath, but I only mean to use this example for structure.

Think of the movies as the Four Gospels considered cannon by the current existing church. The films are equivelant to these. The other books are merely extensions of this 'central' storyline, although arguably they are just as 'real' and 'important' as the central story. Also, you can then think of the Ewok movies and Lucas' other projects as a member in the category of the book of Acts... published by the same author of a gospel, but not a gospel.

Official is the term in my mind that Lucas has come to say is HIS vision of this universe, and what the essential pieces of the story in his mind are. Ultimately though, cannon is decided separately by each and ever viewer, including Lucas himself. He may have ultimate control over his own presentation of the story, but it is quite impossible for him to control the interpretation of the story by his audience, and also how they choose to envision and expand upon it.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Additionally, that's just how LFL classifies things ;)

13. Darth_Ghana

Darth_Ghana Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2004
    so does that mean they are cannon?

14. Red_Lightsaber_Candy

Red_Lightsaber_Candy Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Does anyone know if The Cartoon Network will be showing the Clone Wars season 1 again?

15. Swanton

Swanton Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    Not sure, but the DVD is only $14 or so, which is a decent deal. I just watched that again the other night on a huge widescreen television.

Oh man, good times!

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>so does that mean they are cannon?<<

Well, all non-Infinities material is considered canon, but only the films are considered g-canon (the highest level). Everything else is basicly c-canon, including the novels, comics, cartoons and TV movies.

17. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Think of the movies as the Four Gospels considered cannon by the current existing church. The films are equivelant to these. The other books are merely extensions of this 'central' storyline, although arguably they are just as 'real' and 'important' as the central story. Also, you can then think of the Ewok movies and Lucas' other projects as a member in the category of the book of Acts... published by the same author of a gospel, but not a gospel.

=D= beautiful, man, just beautiful.
    I'm going to quote you on that in the future, if I may.

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.