main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by USMCKoontz, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USMCKoontz

USMCKoontz Jedi Padawan

Apr 30, 2014
    Ok so I have seen Movies 1-6, and I am currently watching The Clone Wars, and then will watch Rebels. I want to learn more though.

What books/novels are there that I can begin to read? Is there a order of books to read?

thanks

2. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    TKT likes this.
  3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    depends if you want to read the eu, or the new universe canon. i think many of the old eu books are really great. The Thrawn Trilogy is great, if you want to get the characters a little older, a little closer to Force Awakens age, i would start with the 19 book NJO series with Vector Prime as the first novel

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just don't do what I did: starting out with Legacy of the Force.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    TTT is often seen as the beginning of the EU but stories are all over the timeline. Thrawn is post Jedi I believe 5 years. So, where you start really depends what speaks to you.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd start with the movie novelizations.

Then I'd branch out with:

Darth Plagueis and Cloak of Darkness are prequel/behind the scenes novels to TPM.
    Shatterpoint is Mace Windu novel, takes place between AOTC and ROTS
    Labyrinth of Evil is a prequel to ROTS.
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is a sequel to ROTS.
    Kenobi takes place shortly after ROTS. It's about Obi-Wan's first days on Tatooine.
    The Bane Trilogy takes a thousand years before the movies. Great piece on the history of the Sith.
    The Thrawn Trilogy takes place 6 years after ROTJ.

Unless you want to just stick with new canon, but I think it's a good idea to read the EU too.

A New Dawn goes with Rebels
    Tarkin takes place 6(?) years after ROTS.

7. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    I'd suggest the Thrawn Trilogy. It was the first of the post-Jedi EU, so you won't need any kind of extensive knowledge of continuity to know what's going on.

It's also really, really good.

JediMatteus and Grievousdude like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're going to be watching Rebels, but also want a great read, grab A New Dawn.

Cynical_Ben and TKT like this.
  9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I'd start with X-Wing: Rogue Squadron instead of Heir to the Empire, unless you can't bear the idea of taking a break from the big three characters and their assorted clingers on.

The X-Wing series does a massive amount of universe building and is a better jumping off point for the post ROTJ universe than TTT, which begins after the New Republic has already been established.

TKT likes this.
  10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    If you want more from the Prequel era, pick up the RotS novelization, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, or Cloak of Deception. If you want the between-movie era, the newest books, Tarkin and A New Dawn are your best bet. For post-RotJ stuff, much of that era is uncharted at this point because of the Legends decision, but as others have mentioned, the Thrawn Trilogy are quality books regardless of their canonicity. Just don't expect anything you read that takes place past the Second Death Star to be reflected in the upcoming films; you'll save yourself a lot of heartache in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.