main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where do The Clone Wars leave us?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by woj101, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    The whole 'Clone Wars' cartoon thing completely passed me by until recently, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify the significance of the series in relation to ROTS.

Are they nothing more than EU, and therefore to be ignored when considering the films like any other novelization etc.?

Or were they commissioned (or even made) by Lucasfilm and intended to bridge the gap between EpII and EpIII, in which case when watching ROTS we can assume everything shown in the cartoon has actually taken place?

Apologies if it's deemed that I've posted in the wrong forum, but I think it's important to establish whether a 'real' connection exists for those who don't already know. Besides, I never seem to get much response in the EU forum...

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, Lucas definitely commissioned the Clone Wars campaign to elaborate on the Clone Wars and to fill the gap between AOTC and ROTS.

This includes the CW cartoon shorts by Genndy and Co., the SW: Republic and Jedi comics by Dark Horse, the Del Rey Clone Wars novels (Shatterpoint, The Cestus Deception, Jedi Trial, etc.), the Clone Wars video game, and anything else with a "Clone Wars" tag on it.

Is it canon? No, in the sense that sometimes the various Clone Wars media have contradicted each other and made mistakes in the timeline, and in the sense that Lucas can of course contradict anything he wants in the films.

But it is authoritative for what occurred in the 3 years between AOTC and ROTS - and it's a known fact that the authors and artists were given access to the ROTS script; they've been told to focus on some things and leave other things alone.

Hope that helped - I've really enjoyed the Clone Wars campaign.

3. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I've enjoyed it too but I think that we have a lot more good stuff on the way.

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The Clone Wars stuff has been fantastic. I am not a fan of EU, but this stuff is different because it is advancing the storyline of the main characters in between two films. Not all of the storylines are interesting, but I really enjoyed Shatterpoint, and most of the cartoons were great. Some of the comics are also great. I am reading Cestus Deception right now and find it good, although not great.

Most of the tales are dark, gritty, and have a deeper feel to them than the films. And as the stories get further and further along in the three years towards ROTS, you can feel the Republic starting to slip and Palpatine cementing his power. You can also see the Jedi starting to lose power and often commit acts which aren't going to be looked upon fondly by the citizens of the Republic. Which lays the groundwork for the eventual elimination of their order.

5. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I don't like the EU at all, but I don't mind the clone wars stuff. I like it cuz the movies obv let us know that the clone wars take place between 2 and 3, and this just elaborates on that. Thats why I also thought all the shadows of the empire stuff is cool too, it takes something we know went on, and goes into the detail the movies don't need to.
    Its the other stuff I absolutely hate, no offense to any EU fans out there.

6. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Fair enough. I also enjoy the Clone Wars EU far more than the post-ROTJ stuff, but let's not get into an EU-bashing contest here.

7. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    But that is so much fun! Pretty please?

8. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I love the EU! :D

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Or an EU-gushing contest. [face_laugh]

Stay the course, people. Thousand points of light.

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    So as not to taint the excellent Clone Wars material with the stink of typical EU stuff, we ought to call it IBFU instead. In Between Films Universe.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I think we'll just stick with The Clone Wars or maybe the Clone Wars Campaign. ;)

12. sharkboy

sharkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    The cartoons are a good bit of fun even the hard core spoiler free among you should consider looking at them.
    However as far as I am concerned they are EU they should be enjoyed for what they are however they add nothing to the movies.
    In years to come when we have all six movies in our collection these cartoons will be a distant memory like the ewok movies made after Return of the Jedi.
    The one thing they do is keep Star Wars in childrens minds in the build up to episode 3 why do you think they are on cartoon network?

13. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I think it is a bit of a mistake to compare the Clone Wars cartoon to the Ewoks. The new stuff has depth and a bit of darkness to it. And I most definitely think it adds to the core story of the main characters in the 6 films, as opposed to the side stories like Ewoks.

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    No, it's not right to compare the Clone Wars to the Ewoks. Both serve their own respective purposes.

I think in some ways the cartoon shorts were an experiment by LFL - "Hmm...let's see what ways we can possibly hype AOTC/ROTS/The Clone Wars: comics (check), adult novels (check), young adult novels (check), video games (check)...what about cartoons?"

Plus, the medium lets us see such amazing action as the Anakin/Asajj battle and the Mace Windu double shot. [face_cowboy]

15. hansoloschinscar

hansoloschinscar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, GL did commission them. And I read at TFN that the crawl for Revenge Of The Sith will describe events that has happened in Chapters 21 through 30 of the Clone Wars cartoon after it comes out on Cartoon Network this comming spring. So that sounds pretty official to me.

16. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    You won't need the Clone Wars EU to understand RotS no, but every strand has been carefully laid out (well, much more so than previous EU anyway), and they will all lead directly into RotS.
    I for one, really like this Clone Wars EU. It's nice that the writers and other contributers have a focal point to aim at and very clear boundaries set so we don't get some whacked-out post-RotJ-type stories.
    I've been really impressed with all of it.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    We're going to get a literal multi-media introduction into ROTS.

Dark Horse is having a 5-issue Obsession mini-series starring Obi-Wan and Anakin, SW: Republic is tying into ROTS, the Clone Wars cartoon shorts (only FIVE episodes, but they're TWELVE minutes each!!!) and the Del Rey novel Labyrinth of Evil will tie-in directly to ROTS - I assume that ROTS will start off pretty much where Labyrinth of Evil ends off.

It's going to be great. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.