main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Where do you get your books?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I either go to Walden Books or Barnes and Noble. I should buy more on Amazon but I like to actually go out and look around.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Chapters (and all the affiliated Indigo bookstores), a really nifty and brilliant local store that I love to pieces [face_love] , and Amazon, when I'm hunting down some obscure play that I can't seem to find anywhere else (usually Amazon then has to order it in from someplace else and then ship it to me :p ). I frequently end up in second-hand bookstores, but I almost never buy anything there.

3. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    I get my books from Chapters, and sometimes Coles. Both bookstores are the closest ones I know of.

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Books-A-Million or Barnes & Noble for new mmpbs, HC I'll get from the library, I'll get older books or ones that look good from thrift stores.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Also Chapters and Coles. There used to be a really good Indigo not far from my house until is closed down three or four years ago.

6. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Actual hold-in-your-hand books I get used from garage sales, flea markets, used book sales at the library. Sometimes if it's really cheap, I'll grab it from Borders or whatever bookstore I'm currently standing in. And I love libraries, of course. For class, if I can't find it online as an eBook, I order it from Amazon.De.

But I mostly read eBooks, which I get online, of course. And I listen to some audio books, also gotten online. The last time I read a print book was in... early April, when I was home with my family and a library.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hardcovers are usually from Amazon UK for the discount and free shipping, though if UK doesn't have what I want I will bite the bullet and order from the US site (no free shipping though, but right now the £/$ rate works in our favor at about $1.64/£1.)

If I'm going into town I look in Waterstones and Books Etc, which are my local bookstores. We have a WH Smiths as well but it's pretty useless for SF books. They're good for magazines and current paperbacks though.

And if I'm going into London I always make time for Forbidden Planet to pick up SW figures, SF books and comics/comic TPBs.

FP is probably my favorite but it's a good thing I don't live too near it - I'd spend way too much money there.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You can't really protect the spines on paperbacks forever. There are methods as suggested, but in the end, it won't be long before they're dinged-up.

9. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    Wherever I can find them, unfortunately. There are only two choices in town, Borders and a used book store. I end up going to Borders more often as it is convenient. But, I prefer the feel of the used book store (not to mention the price). It doesn't matter to me the condition of the book if it is paperback, since I buy them to read and re-read.

10. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Before I moved, it was between Borders & the library.

Now, the local bookstores don't seem to have some of the books/series I like, especially Star Wars. And now the closest Borders is over an hour away. So I've started ordering most books from Amazon. And the libraries around here don't have much at all of a sci fi/fantasy collection.

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    As a Canadian, I of course buy from Chapters/Indigo. You can't live here and get new books off the shelf without going there. I order all of my hardcovers online through Chapters. They usually release new books a couple of weeks early.

There is an awesome used bookstore downtown where I get my comics called, ABC Book & Comic Emporium, with a huge sci-fi section. It's the only bookstore in town that is willing to buy and sell tie-in novels. It has a huge literature section as well.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Usually Barnes&Noble, I go to Borders for a change of scenery. There are any number of used bookstores I check out. The largest I have ever heard of is at least as long as an 18 wheeler and 4 stories high, the John K. King used books store in downtown Detroit.

13. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Amazon for hardcover and paperback books. My friend runs a comic store so I get all my comics and trade paperbacks through him. I've learned easy access to comics is bad for the wallet.

14. Green_Blade

Green_Blade Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Amazon. It is insane what most hardcovers go for nowadays. The new FOTJ books are $27 in stores, only $17 or so on Amazon. Too good to pass up. I but paperbacks at Barnes & Nobel usually, since Amazon doesn't offer discounts on those.

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I am a used book fiend. I actually carry a list of books that I'm looking for, so I can pop in and find them at little dusty shops or garage sales or university libraries...
    and BNN.com.

16. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    I usually have to get my books online from Amazon, there aren't really any bookstores very close to where I live. The only time I really can make the time to go to a bookstore is when I want a book on the day it's released, ie Harry Potter or Twilight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.