main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Where do you go for your news?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Nov 16, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Try keep it serious (that's rich coming from me).

I thought it might be worthwhile for us to talk about where, and how we source out news, be that newspapers, TV, or online, and some of the sources we try to avoid.

3sm1r likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Mainly NPR. Their news portion is great. They don't yell and they do a good job of covering events around the world that CNN completely misses. That said, their ;human interest' angle can be a bit questionable, like when PRI's The World did a segment on how the 2014 Gaza War inconvenienced an American couple who wanted to get married in Israel. Seriously.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I get the weekend papers (Mail, Times, Telegraph). If I'm on the laptop I usually have BBC News, Sky News, or CNBC on TV for background noise - depends in the time of day. Online my main stops are the BBC News website and CNN website for news.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    CNN for American and international news, the Globe and Mail or the Toronto Star for GTA and Canadian news. Popular Science and Startalk Radio for STEM news.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I use the CNN site mostly for US news. I use the BBC site for the UK and international stuff.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My go to is BBC, I check their site daily under normal circumstances and more frequentely when things are happening.

When it comes to American news, I actually think this forum is pretty good in providing links and commentary, that's why I'm following all the senate threads, even if I rarely post.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    JCC :p (at least in part)

Google news (organized by subject area rather than source, but I'll avoid stories from CNN or the DM for instance)

Used to listen to NPR years ago, but I don't drive these days so that's stopped.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth Punk likes this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    JCC (Star Wars news) and Juliet316 for catastroblogging
    desdemona despair for climate catastroblogging
    NPR and APM: Marketplace
    BBC
    NYT
    Die Presse
    Frankfurter Allgemeine
    Salzburger Nachrichten
    Politico
    Five-thirty-eight
    ORF TVthek
    Ö1-ORF

Juliet316 and Darth Punk like this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Reddit. It's pretty good as a news aggregator to be honest.

Coruscant likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You can tolerate /r/news and /r/worldnews?

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh man, I stay the **** away from the news subs because the comments are almost always stupid and awful which is a problem when the comments are a big part of the site. Stories that fit the stereotypical reddit mindset (e.g., "This Woman Falsely Accused This Guy of Rape!!!") get upvoted like mad.

I check Al-Jazeera America, BBC, NYT, Google News frontpage, and some other places for facts and opinions. I am not a person who does the internet equivalent of reading the paper every day, though.

Darth Punk likes this.
  12. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Living in the U.S., I naturally go to the BBC for news about America... or any other news for that matter. I go to CNN, FOX, etc... for the pretty colors, laughs, and various other amusements.

13. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    BBC and NPR.

Vaderize03 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Not the comments, no. But just for getting links to articles, I think it's usually fine.

15. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    BBC news, the JCC (some stories get here faster). Sometimes CNN, and I'm trying to kick off the habit or reading Yahoo! News, they're just awful. I'll probably find better sources after reading this thread.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    New York Times audio digest for most stuff, here for breaking news, arXiv for research, BBC if I'm just sitting around wondering about the state of current affairs.

17. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    NPR, Democracy Now, Al Jazeera America, BBC, and some local pinko commie rags.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The CBC, Globe and Mail, and Toronto Star are my go-to sources, generally, but for more international focus I'll look at the BBC, the Guardian, and others.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    For work, I subscribe to Reuters, and Bloomberg news feeds. They're both excellent in giving me up to the minute financial, and geo-political news headlines, followed up with a more detailed report. Both are credible news sources, Reuters, are slightly more thorough, Bloomy can occasionally put out news that has slightly vaguer sources.

I subscribe to an email service, that gives press links, to news stories that break overnight. The links are generally to articles on FT.com, The Daily Telegraph, WSJ, and for European related things, German sites Der Spiegel, and Handelsblatt.

I also have a real rascal of a website called zerohedge.com. It's kind of aimed at trader types, but it has complete sensational, conspiracy theory bent to it, that borders on tin foil helmet. Every article is about some imminent black swan event. Good fun though - even if the comments section is a bit scary.

That's work stuff, but for sport, and entertainment, it's generally Telegraph, BBC, and ESPN

TV, It's BBC, CNBC, Bloomberg TV, and I must say Al-Jazeera is good at times. I think people confuse it as some Islamic fundamental mouthpiece, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Increasingly, a lot of stories increasingly break on Twitter. Some Tweeters are very credible, (reporters, and such), but you really have to pick the peanuts out of the poo. I mostly treat Twitter, as a supplement to all of the above sources.

I honestly can't remember the last time that I bought a newspaper.

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    New York Times, Politico, CNN, BBC and CBS News,

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The local news media in San Francisco. I use to get news from the elevator when I worked in a high rise.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What, no love for Hufpo?

I keed!

Juliet316 is the first with all the news that's fit to share, right?

But seriously, I listen to the short news reports on public broadcasting, make allowances for a little bias from the reporters, and if I want in depth info, I'll search the web, assume whatever I'm reading is also biased, and just do my best to sort the wheat from the bushels and bushels of chaff.

ETA, I like TIME magazine most of the time, but I'm aware that most of the reporters are somewhat... wait for it!... biased.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    News junkie here! (As a journalist, I kinda have to be). Sooo...
    AP
    NY Times
    Local papers
    Local news on TV
    national news on TV
    BBC
    NPR
    I even dabble with CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News just to keep up with what the oddballs are saying.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I like different personalities on the opinion channels - especially Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews on MSNBC, and Charlie Rose on PBS for his fantastic interviews.

However, I primarily stick to NPR during my transit and CNN in the mornings. I think Shep Smith does an admirable job during the midday at FOX during the week, but I rarely watch.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The comments are not actually too bad, especially after a lot of the morons went to Voat earlier this year. The thing is, yes, you're going to find droves of idiots commenting, but due to the sheer number of people registered on Reddit who are regular commenters, you also get a lot of very thoughtful, persuasive, level-headed comments, too, from many different political orientations.

Admiral Volshe likes this.