main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Where do you guys think Ania Solo's story would have gone?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tanjint, Jul 16, 2018.

?

would you read more cade skywalker or ania solo -era / universe stories?

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    91.2%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    After having been a huge fan of Cade Skywalker's story for a decade now, I finally finished the 4 Ania Solo paperbacks. They were awesome but as informed readers know, her story was a little less than half as long as Cade's because of how the Disney transition timed out.

My understanding is that before the Disney buyout the plan was to continue her story for as long as Cade got. What kind of stuff do you guys think would have happened if the saga got to continue? What would y'all have like to seen?

What are your guys' pet theories about the origins of the rift between Ania's Solo family and Marasiah's Fel family?

-T

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes. I would very much have loved to have seen Ania in more stuff if Star Wars hadnt been bought by Disney.

Tanjint and kalzeth like this.
  3. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    +1. So curious about her background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tython Awakening, Tanjint and spicer like this.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The longer the series went on, the more convinced I became that its authors had no idea where they were going or what they were doing. That third story arc spent five issues meandering around and wasting time on that glass-raining planet, promising a big revelation about Ania's past, and what did we end up getting? Absolutely nothing. We got the laziest anti-climax possible. Ania was a prisoner and that mysterious masked bounty hunter turned out to be... a guard from that prison whom the authors couldn't even bother to give a name to. The cast walked out of those five issues in the exact same place they had been in going into them.

So where would Ania's story have ended up going? Nowhere. We would have gotten more pointless crap like that third story arc. And despite more issues, Darth Wredd's nonsensical plan wouldn't have ended up making a lick more of sense. The Triumvirate would have continued to be featured despite the authors not caring enough to figure out how they worked, and the Imperial Knights would still have been fundamentally misunderstood and ruined. A longer run would have done nothing more than reveal even more embarrassingly how in over their head the authors were and how little they understood about the sandbox in which they were playing.

Ania was a good character with a lot of potential. The likeability of the cast and the good faith that came with the Legacy era being explored further sustained my interest for the first ten issues despite less-then-stellar writing, but it was only a matter of time before that interest collapsed. Ania's further stories are better off being left untold.

DelRiego, Tanjint and Trip like this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    How were the Imperial Knights misunderstood?

Mind you, I've been glad to have a bit of dirt on them.

Tanjint likes this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    On the one hand, I like the era, I would have liked more Gar Stazi stories, or new Jedi (not that Republic relic K'kruhk, the Hat's time has passed), or Rogue Squadron.

Ania's story just kind of petered unfortunately. The last arc was rushed due to the old EU cancellation, but yeah, the third arc was weak. Too bad, I would have liked to find out more about AG-37, there were quite a few hints that he had been around for a long time.

Definitely no more Cade stories. I didn't want to see him again, and he doesn't want any of that destiny stuff again either.

Tanjint likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably would have run into the remaining One Sith at some point.
    An arc with Cade.

Tanjint and kalzeth like this.
  8. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    In the final issue of Legacy Volume II, the entire One Sith were wiped out (which was itself some laughably bad writing), and the Imperial Knights said "Now that the Sith are gone, we're no longer going to serve the Force as embodied by the Empress. We're just going to serve the Force!"

And that is... that is absolute nonsense. The Imperial Knights were founded decades before the One Sith emerged. Their MO was never a response to the Sith threat. Killing all the Sith is no reason to turn them into something that's exactly like the Jedi except they wear red. It was an unnecessary line to slip into the end of the final issue in a weak attempt to write a happy ending at the expense of common sense.

It was pretty depressing to see John & Jan, two people with a deep and rich understanding of SW and the EU, work tirelessly to carefully build up the Legacy era, only to have two other authors with no idea what they were doing carelessly tear it all down.

If they could do that much damage in just eighteen issues, imagine the cluster-kriff that would have occurred in fifty. But anyway, even if the Disney buyout hadn't happened, Dark Horse would have canceled the series a year later because of some made-up anniversary.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Bluntly, the Imperial Knights had seen the Emperors get worse and worse.

Marasiah Fel is no Princess Leia or Jaina Solo.

Her behavior might have caused them to decide to abandon their role as agents of the Emperor. Its also possible as the Empire was folded into the Galactic Alliance they just decided to give it up.

Tanjint and Voltron64 like this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    The Empire wasn't folded into the Galactic Alliance. The Galactic Federation Triumvirate somehow, in some unexplained way, combined all three organizations. There's even a line somewhere in this series where Sia is referring to it as the Empire and The Hat says "Empire? I don't serve an Empire." The Empire still exists.

Your theories about the Emperors getting worse would at least make more sense than what was on the page, but alas, the official explanation given was "It's because the Sith are gone!" Also Sia was better than her pop. The IKs were all ready to die for her in this series, especially Draco.

Tanjint and Trip like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The writing issues of legacy volume 2 aside I would have liked to have seen Ania grapple with her heritage which I maintain was more complex that what it appeared.

More so if she wasn't force sensitive.

As for the triumvirate-I would have enjoyed to see more of that.

And I don't believe the one Sith went extinct-that whole deal was basically a way to put a quick bow on the legends box before the de canonization. Nihl, Talon, Ramage, and Maladi were still alive as was Wyyrlok IV.

Gamiel, Tanjint and kalzeth like this.
  12. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    I really want to know what that assassin droid promised Han Solo

13. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    And reintegrate with the Jedi Order perhaps?

Tanjint likes this.
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I wonder if we would have gotten some sort of Ania & Cade team up, or perhaps the closest they ever got was at that cantina in the last issue. Curious if the new threat would've been the few remaining Sith ala Talon and Nihl, or something else, maybe not even Force related. I regret that we got so little of the Jedi in Legacy II.

Probably the biggest question left unanswered in the series. AG was awesome and I wanted to know so much more about that droid.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone think that Abeloth could have returned if this series continued?

Tanjint likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Abeloth was worse than Waru, honestly.

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I can't like Jeff's posts enough. Ania is a fantastic character concept realized as an okayish character starring in an absolute misfire of a series. It didn't totally ruin Legacy-- other than Ania, there's some interesting worldbuiling-y stuff that it introduced pretty much by accident but could definitely be built on, and all the terrible isn't so fundamental that a Vol 3 couldn't fix it with some strategic retconning-- but it sure tried its best.

Anyway, I think Ania's story should've eventually intersected with Cade's and involved the two of them dealing with her mysterious past, probably, including whatever it is that happened to break off her branch of the family. I have a vision of an outlaw refuge in the tropical jungles of Nar Shaddaa run by a mysterious old woman who may or may not be Ania's (great) grandmother...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Nobody145, kalzeth and Tanjint like this.
  18. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I don't think there would have been a "new threat." If the series had been given a longer run-time, Darth Wredd's insurgency would have just taken longer, and we wouldn't have gotten the horribly-rushed three-issue finale. Ania and co. would have continued killing time on nameless planets, facing off against nameless minor villains while flying in nameless ships and hanging out with nameless droids.

Seriously, nothing was named in that series. The R2-D2 proxy was just "Comm Droid," the apparently-important prison guard didn't get a name, half the planets they visited weren't named, and the Wookieepedia article I made for the damn ship they fly around in is just called "AG-37's freighter." What could have been inspired world-building ended up being nothing more than unimportant window dressing. Another disappointing contrast with Jan & John --- Bechko and Hardman didn't care about the details.

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think there is absolutely no way the GFT would've lasted. The Empire would almost certainly back out with Marasiah consistently being outvoted 2-1 on every issue. Which of course would lead to war between the Empire and the Galactic Federation, uh, Duumvirate.

Even if that didn't happen, there's the fact that the whole galaxy is being represented, probably through no democratic means, an Empress, and Admiral, and a Jedi. Doesn't seem like the people would stand for that long. Thus, rebellion.

Ghost, kalzeth and Tanjint like this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My biggest hope would be that Ania wouldn't turn out to be the daughter of a princess who ran away or something else like that. I'd want her to be the descendant of a Solo branch which decided to avoid any of that stuff.

Mind you, I'm not sure how that would have worked out given the fact Jacen and Jaina both bred with royalty,

Maybe Han and Leia adopting a kid.

Tanjint likes this.
  21. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    I could have sworn Nihl, Wyrr and Talon all got killed but I guess Cade was kinda heal-happy in those days too....I got so hung up on Sia/Ania I forgot about all of AG'S weird hints, that would be cool to know more about indeed.

I really appreciate the critiques of the series y'all are sharing, I hadn't thought of those perspectives and it makes me more okay with the unexploredness it was left at, haha. I'll have to double-check but I didn't get the impression that the IKs were all deciding not to serve Sia, just Jao.

It did sound like Sia was making some changes to the organization...I'll double check that language tonight.

-T

22. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Sorry for the double post but this post I'm replying to was posted while I was typing my last one.

I would be open to this too but the Legacy II guide and other interviews with creators state her to be a descendant of Han and Leia which is why her origins are so vexing!

-T

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I don't know; even in vol 2, the implication seemed pretty clear that the Triumvirate was a temporary state of affairs until all the parties involved figured out how to proceed long-term. I could see it eventually settling into a sort of complicated power-sharing structure without any obvious real-world equivalent: I picture something like a galactic confederation, with individual polities practicing self-rule, but also having representatives in the Senate, which confirms Jedi Council appointees and also elects the President/Chancellor, who appoints the Admiral, but is confirmed by the Emperor, who is anointed by the Jedi Council/Grand Master? And then the Emperor is basically just Head of State of the galaxy but more directly rules Bastion and the surrounding historically Imperial territory? Something like that. It'd make for a really interesting setting imo.

24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It really would have been interesting to see the transition from a military resistance to a democratic government. How would the galaxy turn out? An Empire and an Alliance? Both merging? I wish we got a story answering those questions in Legacy 2.

spicer and Voltron64 like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Third Republic, with a constitutional monarchy similar to modern UK, with the Imperial Knights being their own true way of influence, and even IKs becoming more like secret agents (as well as a couple for bodyguards, their "cover").