main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Where do you place Star Wars in relation to our existence?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CornStarch, May 4, 2014.

1. CornStarch

CornStarch Jedi Master

Aug 30, 2011
    When you picture where the Star Wars universe is, where do you consider it to be?

Is it in a Galaxy next to ours? Is it in a universe next to ours? Is it an alternate reality? Is it the same universe as ours but a different time? Or is Earth just a distant planet within the Star Wars realm?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Obviously.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    A realm inside my TV that I can tap into with my Blu-ray player whenever I need to feel inspired.

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    When Luke and Leia watch the Falcon fly away at the end of Empire and look out at the distant galaxy, I like to imagine they're looking at our Milky Way galaxy. If we're being literal about that I suppose that would mean they live in the Andromeda galaxy. Of course, Andromeda is on a crash course with our Milky Way galaxy and they should collide and become one galaxy in about several Billion years or so, so eventually we're going to live in the Star Wars galaxy. YAY!

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's more on the edge of it - the Core is the area surrounding the bulge - very few planets are in the Deep Core, which is the central galactic bulge.

7. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In some very distant galaxy where you can travel between planets in a matter of hours or days at light speed!

sarlaccsaurs-rex and EternalHero like this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  9. CornStarch

CornStarch Jedi Master

Aug 30, 2011
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    This post deserves an oscar

sarlaccsaurs-rex and bstnsx704 like this.
  11. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    YES! Someone needs to awaken me when that happens. I hope I have a high enough midichlorian count!

But ah, I always considered it to be in our universe, I suppose. All galaxies are technically far away from each other, so who knows, the known galaxy could be our neighbor! Also... I'm awful at science in general, so someone, please correct me with the more accurate terms, but isn't it because of light not reaching the "other end" yet, if we wore to look at a distant galaxy with our naked eye, we'd be looking into the past? That's an interesting connection with "A long, long time ago..."

12. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I should hope it relates to Earth in no way at all. I rather like it being science fantasy escapism and no way relatable to our existence...

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    obviously but et was on earth and they are on coruscant in this fictional universe. here is a new link to the vid i posted earlier in the thread.

it's just fun to think about.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  14. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I get what you are trying to say with this interesting video but I think the nods to SW in Indy and ST were just that. Homages not to be taken as factual proof of relation. Clever vid though. :)

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This. Obviously.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's just for fun.

17. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think it's within our universe but in a far out galaxy that would take multiple lifetimes to make it to

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Something like that, albeit in the distant past. That's what I like to believe.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nowhere. It's a fictional universe created for entertainment.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Bad attitude, AF83! You need to go watch Galaxy Quest:
    "I was wrong, kid! It's all real!"
    "I KNEW IT!!!"

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    andromeda.

22. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Remember the first teaser for the very first Star Wars? A billion years in the making...

Obviously, that was just a tag line for the teaser but I think it's a good number to go with. The Star Wars Saga taking place at least a billion years ago would add to the mythic quality of the whole thing. As for where it takes place, if it's in our universe then I would suggest that it's in a galaxy so far away that the light from that galaxy will never reach us. The other possibility is that the Star Wars Saga takes places in a universe that either exists parallel to our own or in a universe that existed before ours. Either way, the laws of physics may be very different in that universe, allowing for things like The Force and hyperspace travel.

23. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    For me Star Wars doesn't take place in our universe its like LOTOR or any other major fantasy universe. It abides by its own scientific laws and technology unrelated to our own. It is a primary reason I like it because most sci-fi is usually about our own world and our own future history whereas the Star Wars universe has a completely different history unlike our own.

24. KaziKat

KaziKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2015
    If they are in Andromeda, they could hyperspace travel here.

25. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    At least 10 galaxies away. Not something we can see. Beyond the cosmic background radiation.