main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Where do you rank TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SatineNaberrie, Dec 16, 2015.

?

Where do you rank TFA among the other films?

1. 1st (best/most fav)

64 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 2nd

120 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 3rd

210 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. 4th

150 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. 5th

64 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. 6th

26 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 7th (least fav/worst)

99 vote(s)
    13.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorellianVolkswagen

CorellianVolkswagen Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2016

I never read any EU about an alien invasion right after ROTJ. Or maybe I have and don't remember, which one was it? There's so much of it, and some of it is so out there, I don't really pay attention to most of it as canon. But the Thrawn trilogy I do, or did until this new canon came along. And still enjoy it as an alternative universe story now I guess. But they were pretty much the legitimate Ep. VII-IX at the time, blessed by Lucasfilm as the official continuation, set 5 years after Jedi. I've never read Truce At Bakura, I've seen it in stores several times but never picked it up. Is it good, or was the fact that you loved it when you were 14 a jab at it? By the way, I'm not complaining about them downplaying Endor, just illustrating that there has been some minor retconning going on with this new canon and not understanding the political climate from the film alone doesn't mean that I need to be "spoon-fed".

2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Trusting the audience not to think too much as the action./drama/humour is thrown at them at warp speed is Abrams style for me whilst throwing in a few references in the film and with extra media that those who want to defend the film can pick up on.

Basically his films for me are aimed at casual audiences and those who have a strong inbuilt desire to love them before release and look to do so in a anti nitpickish fashion rather than as pieces of cinema. The reality is that simply providing a tiny hint at something often outside the film itself does not take the place of successfully selling a concept/location/character on screen well.

3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    In terms of setting I would argue that the OT was never really about political realism, yes the Empire is sold in a believable fashion and given some focus BUT the story is very clearly not about the Empire, its a morality tail about Luke and Co's adventures.

This is why throwing the political achievements of the OT in the trash is a highly disrespectful thing to do. The simple reality is that TFA does not sell the idea that the heroes achievements in ROTJ had any weight to them, theres no talk of the 30 years of peace just a tiny reference to the New Republic seconds before its destroyed.

TFA is very clearly not about political realism, indeed I think its much less so than the OT failing to establish the FO in a realistic fashion due to the lack of focus and unexplained massive power shift.

4. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003

Perhaps they could have taken an idea from Game Of Thrones. When you need exposition, use "sexposition". They could have just showed Hux and Phasma, naked in bed together, talking about the political situation of the galaxy. I'm actually shocked they didn't do this...

5. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    TFA is my fourth favorite, but the fact that my wife loved it makes me appreciate it much more. While I wished it had been a bit less safe/repetitive, I think it reached non-hardcore fans well.

6. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    And Kylo Ren walks in on them, seemingly not paying attention to the fact that two of his comrades are screwing.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

No. Endor symbolized the end of the war, but it would not realistically be the end. Even the Thrawn trilogy had the end stretch out rather longer than the New Canon.

8. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003

Or, in true Game Of Thrones fashion, he would nonchalantly disrobe and join them. No explanation would be given, and it would never be referenced again...

Darth Nave likes this.
  9. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003
    Off topic, but I like your profile photo. Really brings back those nostalgic feelings of being a little Star Wars boy.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  10. CorellianVolkswagen

Jan 24, 2016
    According to the sourcebooks and wikis, until the new Jakku ending was added, it was the end of the Galactic Civil War. And yeah, as we were discussing the old EU canon had little time for peace because they just kept the adventure going, this new canon is them rebooting it because the old actors are, well old. They had a new threat every day in the old EU though, because a new writer wanted to get in on the money every day it seemed like. But at the time of the Thrawn Trilogy, it was just that one story, five years later, and they hadn't had any problems yet. Thrawn was a new threat that came along while the New Republic was getting their stuff together.

11. CorellianVolkswagen

Jan 24, 2016
    It's a trip isn't it? I had that thing.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  12. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The alien invasion book is indeed The Truce at Bakura
    One of the earliest EU books after the Thrawn trilogy. The story happened right after ROTJ

The book from looking around online is widely panned today but I remember liking it. But I was very young at the time and mostly read YA stuff when I wasn't reading Star Wars

13. CorellianVolkswagen

Jan 24, 2016

Yeah, I thought it was one of the earlier ones, because I've seen it around a lot over the years. Don't know why I never got curious enough to give it a try, I recall the cover not looking very exciting and the title didn't exact fill me with excitement. Truce At Bakura? Let me know when they start fighting again, I'll check that out.

14. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

The aspects you are talking about to me are the most brilliant parts of the movie, how they incorporated the themes the way they did is something I've never seen before. I highly recommend looking at it deeper than you are giving it credit for, because when you can see and appreciate the film on an entire other level.

Bossk74 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    If TFA was the continuation of Luke's story, I would agree with the repetition critique. But as this is introducing a new 'hero' going on a hero's journey, retreading Luke's path with variations is more or less what would fit as a rhyming.
    There are only so many ways to do a hero's journey without is going off the rails

Anakin's path was set, but Rey's isn't so it's doubly exiciting.

Artoo-Dion and Ricardo Funes like this.
  16. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016
    I'd rank it probably above ATOC and PM but below the other four.

Empire, ANH, ROTJ, ROTS, TFA, PM, AOTC

17. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016

Pretty much agree. TFA is my 4th favorite SW film as well!

I very much enjoyed the movie when I saw it (I've only seen it once) and walked out of the theater feeling pretty pleased. I liked how it progressed 30 years and showed what happened to this world while the audience didn't have access to it. I liked the characters very much, thought the action was fun and really enjoyed all the interaction and relationships between characters and the brisk pace.

While I was pleased with the movie, there were parts as well that I simply did not care for so much. I absolutely did not like yet another Death Star blow up (version 3.0 folks!) nor the entire run to blow it up (ANH total rip off!). I WISH it could have been more unique and actually brought something new the the world. It was far too much like ANH at times (yet, at this moment I like it a bit more than ANH!) and didn't care a whit for the score (a first for any SW movie I've ever seen). I felt the plot could have been more tight as well.

All in all though, I like the movie very much but I truly hope the next two installments are not ESB version 2.0 and RotJ version 2.0...(then again considering how many problems I've with the latter, that might not be so bad...lol).

Dak Oolron and CoruscantDweller like this.
  18. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    3rd or 4th might be where i put it if I were to include ANH in my ranking as I'm still undecided if I want ROTJ ahead of TFA or behind it. A lot will depend on Episode 8 and 9.

But the pure ranking is deceptive as the OT and TFA would be in the 8-9 score range; the PT with be down in the 6s to 4s score range

Dak Oolron and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. LordTimCahill

LordTimCahill Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    I think the movie gets better with each viewing. I was initially underwhelmed for the same reasons most people are, but each time I went back and absorbed everything, the more I realized how awesome it was. I've been able to invalidate or find an argument against nearly every complaint against the movie at some level.

Pretty much the only "flaw" I agree with at this point is that the events that take place are a little too similar to A New Hope, but it never even took me out of the movie. I only really noticed that when people started complaining about it. Plus, most of it was obviously just drawing parallels while remaining original.

But nearly every other complaint: Kylo was defeated too easily, Rey's abilities were outside of Star Wars logic, etc. don't even bother me. I think they are nitpicky complaints from people who are refusing to acknowledge certain details in the movie that easily invalidate these arguments.

The thing is when you watch TFA it just seems like a good star wars sequel, never once watching the movie did my enjoyment of the film get hampered by the fact that it was somewhat similar to ANH because everything that was new in it was excellent. It didn't rely on nostalgia at all (Unlike Jurassic World which had unmemorable ****** characters to go along with the meta "nothing will beat the original" bull****).

Really i think ESB may be a better movie but TFA being more plain fun to watch. I still hold to that. Yes it has flaws, but show me a Star Wars movie that doesn't. In fact, show me any movie that doesn't. Ultimately the series is supposed to be about the characters, and the characters in TFA were amazingly good. So this Movie is without a doubt my favourite, it's actually been a struggle to watch the other movies now.

Bossk74 and Barryharley89 like this.
  20. Barryharley89

Barryharley89 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2015
    Definitely agree it gets better with each viewing. The first viewing I spent a lot of the film anxious and judging it. After the dust settled and I watched it again I was able to appreciate how stunning it is.

I went into the film expecting it to rank 3rd place based on what I knew about it from the trailers & spoilers.

Seems I'd set my expectations just right... I loved the film (despite a few forgiveable things which irritate me about it) so it's earned a worthy 3rd place in my own personal ranking.

This is how my order stacks up after watching TFA and letting it digest a little...

1 - ANH
    2 - ESB
    3 - TFA
    4 - ROTS
    5 - ROTJ
    6 - AOTC
    7 - TPM

DarthEndus and Ricardo Funes like this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Updated list:
    1, Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
    2, Star Wars Return Of The Jedi
    3, Star Wars The Force Awakens
    4, Star Wars The Empire Strike Back
    5 Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
    6, Star Wars A New Hope
    7, Star Wars The Phantom Menace

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  22. Josh7797445

Josh7797445 Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2016
    1 or 2nd for me

23. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    92 people actually think this is the worst SW movie. Yikes!

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Source?
    What's wrong with that? I think it is easily the worst. But that's not saying much since I enjoy all 7.

Darth PJ likes this.
  25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    This is now my least favorite SW movie. I Thought NOTHING.....NOTHING could b worse then TPM. I was wrong. I thinks its safe 2 compare the 2.

TPM had an old world we knew & 2 new planets we never saw before. A City World & the first & pretty much only mutli-climate world we have seen so far in the saga. Naboo had oceans, forests, swamps, plains & I think mountains in the distance.

In TFA had all new planets. Even 1 turned in2 a weapon. But it was all "climates" we saw before.

Advantage TPM.

Acting, well this is simple. Despite a great performances Liam & Ian TFA had a better ensemble.

Advantage TFA.

Script, TPM reminded us of the past. But showed us things we haven't seen b4. World building. TFA was 99% nostalgia. The only real new thing was BB-8.

Advantage TPM.

Music, Duel of the Fates vs Rey's Theme as each movies most memorable songs.

Advantage TPM.

Special Effects, I don't want 2 get involved in the whole Practical vs CGI vs Mo-cap vs makeup vs models, vs matte paintings, vs Stop-Motion debates. Both movies have there strengths & weaknesses.

Advantage Draw.

Final score 3-1-1 TPM as the better movie.

Mindless Monster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.