main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Where do you rank TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SatineNaberrie, Dec 16, 2015.

?

Where do you rank TFA among the other films?

1. 1st (best/most fav)

64 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 2nd

120 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 3rd

210 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. 4th

150 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. 5th

64 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. 6th

26 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 7th (least fav/worst)

99 vote(s)
    13.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PPZVGOS

PPZVGOS Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    At some stage, between 2nd and 3rd viewings, I would go so far as to claim that TFA is the best Star Wars film ever made.

Now, I am leaning towards number 2, after the masterful The Empire Strikes Back (which is flawless in tone, imagery, memorable scenes, quotable dialogue, and boasts the most bad-ass and iconic movie villain ever)

TFA is infinitely superior to the entire PT, and easily ahead of ROTJ.

Now, I can see why some would maybe place it below ANH, but for me, TFA beats it. ANH, even as the masterpiece of fantasy cinema that it is, falls a bit flat after the opening scene ends and almost until our heroes reach Moss Eisley. TFA has superior acting, pacing, dialogue and I would also claim this: a better villain! I know, I know, calm down, I will explain myself. Darth Vader is nowhere near fully developed in the first film. Outside of two scenes, he is not much more a henchman. It's only by TESB that he becomes what we all admire so much. Kylo Ren on the other hand, is well developed within TFA itself. We see his passion, ruthlessness, insecurities, weaknesses, cunning, all in the first film. We are also set up for further development for future films. I also love his mask, and his voice is spot on, a cross between Darth Vader and Bane, with the enunciation being very clear and precise.

So, for now, my list goes like this:

The Empire Strikes Back
    The Force Awakens
    Star Wars: A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

[considerable gap]

Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace

2. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    Third. I feel that this was a massive improvement over the prequels but the acting and story does not compare to Empire Strikes Back.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    How much I actually enjoy watching them:
    ROTJ
    ANH
    ESB
    TFA
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC

Actual quality of film:
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TFA
    ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

As a 'Star Wars film' (how it stands within the saga, what's shown and how does that contribute to the overall mythology etc)
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    AOTC
    ROTS
    TPM
    TFA

It might seem dumb, but I do make these distinctions.

4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Pondscum , I fail to understand how TFA does not contribute to the saga.... it has presented a new generation of heroes and foes ... and also killed the most beloved character of the saga !

Also, a new kind of gray jedi is arising from TFA, it will change the whole concept of how Force users relate to it. A new type of dark lord is presented, one that is not a Sith.

Of course, I agree that since it was the first episode of a single story, many points are still left, more or less like what happened at the end of ESB.

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  5. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Normally I don't do this, but TFA is tied with ESB for me as my most favorite. Both are classics in my eyes.

I can't decide upon which one I like better lol

6. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    Clearly it does contribute and I take your points. But watching the films chronologically, quality aside and glazing over technical discrepancy between ROTS and ANH, it feels like each film builds on or explores concepts introduced earlier while having its own distinct voice. TFA feels so strange to me as part of the sequence. Aside from a few choice plot elements, it didn't feel like a logical, natural or particularly interesting progression.

Of course I might eat my words come episode IX when things have played out, but I feel like TFA is always going to stick out to me as one long homage that happens to introduce (and do away with) some great characters.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    After a long hiatus, I saw TFA for the last time in a local theater. And man. It's a great film, and better than I remembered. I think taking it apart analytically, here on these boards, slowly began building some critiques in my mind that I didn't have originally. While some of those remain, on an intellectual level, watching the film again wiped those away on an emotional/ impressionistic level. There's just some wonderful symbolism in this film, great uses of color, and characters that I simply care for. I also noticed how Rey is much, much more vulnerable than discussion here would have you think. She is uncertain for much of the film, and she's battered and bruised at many turns. There is little about her that even comes close to the "Mary Sue" critique.

And my new favorite scene is Rey, despairing over Finn's seemingly dead body, in the cold dark forest, followed by the unlooked-for bright light. Chewie, piloting the Falcon. Has a very similar effect to the eagles appearing at the end of ROTK, and the end of the first Hobbit film (though in this case, it is emotionally much stronger than the latter scene in the Hobbit). And the ending with Luke remains as my favorite ending to any Star Wars product. Period.

I now rank the films like so:

1. ESB
    2. TFA/ ANH (dead heat, with TFA edging ahead a little)
    3. ROTJ
    4. TPM
    5. AOTC
    6. ROTS

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Evidence suggest beyond a reasonable doubt :

1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. TFA
    4. ROTJ
    5. ROTS
    6. AOTC
    7. TPM

9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    ANH
    TESB

ROTS

AOTC/ROTJ
    TFA
    TPM

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Hm. I always thought you ranked TPM higher than that.

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    This is where I am at the moment.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    No... but I'm being generous to TFA from my perspective. I'd probably put TPM and TFA on a par, for different reasons. What TPM does wrong TFA does right and visa versa.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  13. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    It's tied as my 2nd personal favorite with RotS....

14. Crimson Corsair

Crimson Corsair Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2016
    Voted for 2nd, but it really is tied with ESB for first.
    (although judging by the barrage of negativity on the internet for TFA, feel like i'm a minority on my stance)

15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Me. TCW made me like AOTC more.

16. Star Searcher

Star Searcher Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 14, 2016
    I rank it 3rd.
    NH
    ROTJ
    TFA

17. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The bandwagon "OVERATTED!!!1" people that attach themselves to any critically/financially successful film aren't indicative of the majority opinion. (and before somebody inevitably says it; no, I'm not saying that all people who dislike the film are like this). Films like Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Force Awakens are quality films (at the very least on an extraordinary technical level) despite what "plot-holes" teenagers find .

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Okay, here is the complete ranking for me:
    1. ANH / TESB
    2. TFA / ROTJ
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Revenge of the Sith.
    I foresee watching TFA a lot, and more than the other movies. ANH is the one I watch the most, while I want watching TESB to feel more like an event where I have to feel the drama and suspense. Watching ANH feels more like watching Star Wars for fun.
    Yes, I'm one of those few with that ordering of the prequels. AOTC is higher because I just liked the experience, the structure of a mystery, and the anticipation and all the new stuff that is learned, even though there was a lot to be desired. The music is my favorite of the trilogy. TPM is higher than ROTS because I was still left with hope and wonder.

19. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    So pretty much everyone here liked TFA then? Are you thinking that VIII is going to be good?

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    After watching ROTJ again I am contend in saying that TFA ranks below. Starkiller Base is just as dumb as the Ewok traps and them defeating the best legion of the Empire. The rest of the story is far more concise and logical than the plot of TFA, where even the premise of having to find Luke is confusing.

21. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I rank "favorites", not so much on artistic merit. That is subjective. I also don't rank based on realism or simply on storyline.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Interesting! I had the exact opposite reaction after watching ROTJ two days ago. For example, most of the scenes on Endor, IMO, pale in comparison to nearly everything in TFA. They feel so thin, and stretched (and silly, but not in a fun way). And Ford and Fisher seem to be going through the motions without much enthusiasm. Not how I remembered it.

Though this may be because "concision and logic" are not the most important elements of a film for me (as I agree that the film is generally concise...and logical). I approach film with an impressionistic mindset. From that foundation, TFA is awash in both pure cinema, and pure emotion. As a previous skeptic of Abrams' abilities, I think he really found his voice with this film.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I noticed that the complaints about Han being too tame seem overblown to me, I think he got a nice character arc and I have no complaints about Ford's acting. Carrie is a bit weak as far as acting goes I admit.

What ROTJ also helped me with was understanding why I have an iffy feeling about Leia in TFA. One reason is Carrie unfortunately and the other that she is not really written like Leia. Especially that "same jacket" line. It may be good for a chuckle but it seems out of character. Also the whole "bring my son back" is kinda pathetic compared to ROTJ Leia who takes charge. This Leia just stands back and lets others do the hard work.

I find both movies entertaining and both have characters that I enjoy a lot. But I also want a movie to "be" about something and TFA is just about finding Luke which for some nebulous reason is the most important thing in the universe. In ROTJ we know exactly why the protagonists do everything they do.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Fair enough. I'm just OK with nebulousness. :) In fact, I love that element of myth and fantasy. There's so much mysticism surrounding Luke, and so many questions. I mean, the very question you're asking raises myriad possibilities. After all, why is finding him so incredibly important to both the good guys, and the bad guys? What is he capable of to inspire such a relentless search? Does this not imply that there is something very extraordinary about who he is now? And doesn't that make you want to see the next film...yesterday? :)

It's just such an intriguing way to kick things off. Creating more questions than we began with!

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Do you really think that this will pay off in some sort of grand way?

And no it doesn't make me that curious because I've seen some of ALIAS and Lost. I've seen the strings behind the puppet. I'm more intrigued by the stuff that was just a tiny detail like the church of the force or "show me the power of the darkside again". But the Luke mystery + Rey mystery is overhyped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.