main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Where do you rate The Clone Wars in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by 07jonesj, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    As Gibbs would say: "Boom.":cool:

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    wat

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If you don't know Gibbs, uhm... that probably wasn't very funny.
    :p

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Same for me.

Drewton and Humble_Jedi like this.
  5. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    TESB
    SW
    ROTS
    TCW
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC

The final hour of ROTJ still reigns supreme but the Ewoks and most of the original actors (seemingly) going through the motions brings it down for me. I just don't think it measures up to Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back.

Some of the EU including most of the stuff after ROTJ doesn't count for me.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And me.
    This works too:
    all other SW works>TCW

Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    And me.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And for me at least, there's a pretty big space between TPM and TCW in that order. Something like:
    TESB>SW>ROTS>ROTJ>AOTC>TPM>..................TCW. I like some parts of both the TCW movie and the TCW TV show, but to even consider putting either one of them on the same level as any of the six Episodes of the Saga just seems crazy to me. :p

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    ^ Exactly, same here.

eht13 likes this.
  10. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    The movies
    TCW
    Select EU
    -----------------------
    Everything else

11. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    This is a tough one for sure...

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Clone Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace

12. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. A New Hope
    5. Expanded Universe
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Clone Wars
    8. The Clone Wars
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. Everything else: Droids, Ewoks, both Ewok movies, Holiday Special

13. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Yeah agreed.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    TBH, I find it sad that some people here rate TCW better than AotC, RotJ or TPM. I feel they're missing out when they can't appreciate the saga fully.

15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't really rate the films with TCW since it is unfair imo. TCW is EU pretty much, although TCW isn't friendly toward it. :p

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well it's clumsy to compare hours upon hours of a TV show as a singular entity against a couple hour film, since I can cherry pick my favorite parts of that TV show and compare it against the films. I can't really combine my feelings of all the episodes into one average to compare against the films. The show isn't telling a single comprehensive story.

I love ANH and ESB. While I like ROTS a little less, it still has the most re-watch value for me.

ROTJ is mixed for me. It has some of the best scenes of the saga, but a lot of the stuff that takes place on Endor's surface just puts me to sleep anymore. Though I LOVE the space battle (not wild about the plot involving the Death Star being rebuilt though), and I love the Throne Room scenes and Jabba's Palace.

TPM is just OK to me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It manages to make me feel a little nostalgic for 1999 and the anticipation of the film, and it manages to capture that classic Star Wars adventure feel for me better than the other two prequels, though there are still things that severely weigh it down.

AOTC is the only film that I really don't like. I have more fun talking about it and the plot points than I do actually watching it. I think it was more an error in execution more than anything. I can talk about the plot and find that all interesting. But I have a hard time getting through it all in a single viewing.

I can't really rate TCW against all of these. Though my feelings about it are closest to TPM. I do enjoy it well enough, but I don't absolutely love it (as a whole). When looking at any individual episode however, my feelings range from embarrassment of watching the show (e.g. Nomad Droids) to thorough enjoyment.

17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Interesting results. Some people seem to like TCW very much, placing it well into their list. Others have put it right at the bottom.

Since this was my exact list, I'll reply. I LOVE the saga. I mean when you think Star Wars, it's the saga that comes into your mind. This is a pure rating of quality. I have more enjoyment watching TCW than I do those three films (especially TPM).

I think some hardcore Star Wars fans (basically the whole of LACWAC :p) have placed the films on this insurmountable pedestal. That they'll never be beaten. I, myself, don't think any Star Wars will ever beat the original two films. They're pretty much perfection from what I want in a film.

But I also think that's unfair to all future Star Wars material. I think I like TCW so much due to just how much it feels like the films. The Clone Wars movie was terrible. Clone Wars was way too over-the-top. The Ewok movies were aimed for a very low age group. The Ewoks and Droids series were good back in the day, but rewatching them now reveals just how bad they were (for an adult). I won't even mention The Holiday Special.

TCW is the only visual media that I can even compare to the films. I absolutely love some of the novels but it's a different experience to watching something.

My point is - I don't under-appreciate the films. I just appreciate TCW a lot, considering the rest of the stuff I've seen.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's less that the films are super awesome and more to do with the fact TCW is really really bad. You could have asked "where do you rank TCW among the Transformers movies?" and people here would still list TCW last.

Humble_Jedi and Drewton like this.
  19. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I don't know many people who put the prequels on an insurmountable pedestal.

Humble_Jedi likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    What makes TCW so bad? And do you place the other visual media above it (Ewoks, Droids, Clone Wars)?

21. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    Video games are also visual media. I would place KOTOR, KOTOR II, Republic Commando, and Jedi Outcast far above it. And even TFU.

Esg likes this.
  22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I love the two KOTOR games. Yes, I'd put them above TCW. Wasn't into shooters when RC released so never played it. I liked the Jedi Knight/Outcast series. I really enjoyed the original Force Unleashed but my memory has been tarnished by it's horrific sequel.

I guess I just don't compare passive media such as films with "active" media such as video games.

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The reason why I rate TCW so poorly is because it is a kids show that didn't interest me in the first place, and its redoing the Clone Wars timeline I love for absolutely complete and totally no reason whatsoever. And by redoing the Clone Wars timeline, I mean the Clone Wars multimedia project from 2002 to 2005 and its derivatives create a cohesive picture of what happened between AotC and RotS, but TCW is basically ignoring the Clone Wars multimedia project and its derivatives in favor of its own story.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't seen Droids or Ewoks, so can't comment on those. Clone Wars is really too different to compare, but in general I prefer it over TCW.

OK, so I'm exaggerating a bit when I say TCW is so bad. As often as it just plain sucks it also has some good moments and aspects. A big thing for me, as an EU lover, is the continuing continuity issues. Some I can get over. Some. But there's so many that I just cannot ignore and frankly insult me. If CVI is anything to go by, those mostly stem from Lucas himself.

Another issue is the writing. A lot of the plots are just plain bad, and I deeply dislike some characterizations, especially Ahsoka's. Don't even get me started on Darth Maul or his clone brother.

07jonesj, I simply cannot in good conscience rank TCW among the movies. The SW saga is huge, covering literally every media there is. If I'm going to compare this series to anything, it would be the other TV series. But as you said, Droids and Ewoks are more kid-oriented, while the upcoming Detours is about satire. Even Clone Wars can't be accurately compared to TCW, since it was a very different TV format/setup.

Hope that provides some insight.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    It does, and I would agree that it is difficult to directly compare TCW to any other piece of the Star Wars saga.

The continuity issues, I am undecided on. I used to be a big fan of Marvel comics when I was younger, and they retcon their universes every year or so. There's about 7 origins for each character, so I have a higher threshold than most when it comes to continuity clashes.

I advocate the two separate continuities the most, I think. Have Lucas' saga, and then have the wider EU. I think we're almost at that point, even if it's not been stated.

I think just that fact would mar your views on the show, but the writing is bad in some places, even I can recognize that. I guess we'll be able to compare it when the Live-Action TV series finally airs.

Thanks for showing me your point of view. It's interesting to see someone have an almost opposite opinion and see it's just as justified as your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.