main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Where do you rate The Clone Wars in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by 07jonesj, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Droids and Ewoks were awesome, but from a different time.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Hmmm...

ROTJ
    AOTC/ROTS -- tied!
    ESB
    ANH
    TCW
    TPM

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We need some kind of counter to keep track of how many times Zeta1127 says "the Clone Wars multimedia project and its derivatives" on here. :p

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Since I can't quote messages on the Temp board...
    [​IMG]

eht13, Drewton and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    ToddtheJedi was the first one to notice my propensity to refer to only Clone Wars timeline I recognize as the Clone Wars multimedia project and its derivatives.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I noticed it way before then, too. Hey, it's a convenient classification of those works, thought the derivatives part may be redundant because at the time everything was part of the Clone Wars multimedia project. Hence the multimedia part.

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, the Republic Commando series (technically Hard Contact was part of the Clone Wars multimedia project), Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith novelization, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader aren't part of the Clone Wars multimedia project, so I refer to them as derivatives because they continue the storyline from the multimedia project.

8. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess yeah, some of the RC books that came out after 2005 could count as derivatives, technically. Also stuff like Dark Times, Purge and Coruscant Nights, since the whole project concluded when the Clone Wars did in ROTS. But I'd go as far to call the Dark Lord trilogy part of the project.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, you sure were the first one to call me out on my use of the Clone Wars multimedia project and its derivatives. LL doesn't consider the Dark Lord Trilogy and the Republic Commando series to be a part of the Clone Wars multimedia project, and that's what I was going on, but I agree that the Dark Lord Trilogy is actually a part of the Clone Wars multimedia project.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I love this topic, this is actually really difficult for me.

I may come back to revise this but here's how I feel about it right now:

1. A New Hope
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. The Clone Wars
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones doesn't even make the list. Seeing so many people here rate it higher than TCW is honestly somewhat stunning, though perhaps it shouldn't be.

This may surprise some people but one of the reasons I rank TCW so high is because depending on which TCW you're looking at, it's not as oriented towards kids as other SW. The Krell or slaver arcs, for example, have much less in them that just-for-kids than all three SW films I ranked below TCW IMO. There's actually probably more episodes than not that whose most kid-oriented element isn't as bad as fighting teddy bears or Jar Jar Binks. In terms of adult-oriented story-telling, certain TCW episodes wipe the floor with the films I ranked below it.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    And I am surprised that the disrespectful osik that is TCW even rates for anyone at all...

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't hold EU-steamrolling against the OT sequels or PT as signs of unforgivable disrespect, I'm not doing that with TCW either.

QuangoFett and TaradosGon like this.
  13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW is screwing with the EU as I see it, so it means nothing to me.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That's cool. I'm interested in the unseen back-story of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi and I like old fashioned pulp, so it means something to me.

QuangoFett likes this.
  15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW offers nothing that hasn't been done better by the Clone Wars multimedia project.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Sorry, what? :confused:

K'Kruhk and Zeta1127 like this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Obsession? Anybody. anybody?

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I somehow doubt a mini-series of comics contains all the different views of their relationship shown in TCW. And that's not even getting to the point that unseen on-screen and unseen in a comic book are not one and the same. There are a ton of SW comics I love, but it's just not the same. So by one definition or another, it is unseen back-story. The PT showed some of it too, but not nearly enough, that's really the whole point.

20. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

K'Kruhk, Todd the Jedi and Drewton like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll give you that, DLT. I am of the opinion that Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship is the best developed of any on TCW.

Dark_Lord_Tarkas likes this.
  22. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    The books and comics have added a to of more depth to the relationship than TCW.

23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Three words, Labyrinth of Evil.

Inblackestnight and Drewton like this.
  24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh, we're bringing the DFS meme back? Here's where the fun begins. :D

Comics are borderline unseen, books are entirely unseen in the sense that you're not seeing any images at all except the cover.

And to people who saw the PT and gave up on SW for a little while instead of reading every single piece of EU, it's still unseen. I'm not saying my demographic is the only one, but my demographic does exist.

QuangoFett and Valairy_Scot like this.
  25. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Ladies and gentlemen, this!

Zeta1127 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.