main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Where do you rate The Clone Wars in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by 07jonesj, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    You really think the date of a story retroactively changing is as bad as the whole story itself being thrown out? To me that sounds well beyond hyperbole.

TaradosGon and Seerow like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I can see where Zeta is coming from. Change all those dates around and you open a whole can of worms in terms of continuity issues. But as I've said, somewhere, idk I can't keep all these damn threads straight I have full faith that things will turn out all right in the end. With the likes of Chee, Jason Fry, Pablo Hidalgo and others, all continuity concerns will iron out eventually.

Esg likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Back to the thread topic.

I'm watching ROTS right now for the first time in awhile. I'm enjoying it, but I REALLY forget how distracted I get by how horribly flat Hayden Christensen's acting is and the awkward interaction between people and CGI creations. At this point I'm really tempted to change my list from

1. A New Hope
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. The Clone Wars
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Phantom Menace

to

1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Clone Wars (series)
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Clone Wars (film)
    8. Attack of the Clones

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Could you please explain this placement?

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I focus on what I like.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I actually thought the Revenge of the Sith acting was by far and away the best of the PT. It's the dialogue that gets me.

ANAKIN: You are so beautiful!

PADME: It's only because I'm so in love . . .

ANAKIN: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.​

[​IMG]

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We actually have inverse lists. And here I thought we agreed on a lot. Maybe we've just always talked real-world politics.

As far as the scene that TaradosGon referenced, yeah, it's corny dialogue, but I don't really care about that.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    After finishing ROTS, I changed my mind. Not even Hayden Christensen's horrible acting can ruin the origins of Darth Vader and rise of the Galactic Empire.

1. A New Hope
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    4. The Clone Wars (series)
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Clone Wars (film)
    8. Attack of the Clones

I may swap 2 and 3 but this list is fairly solid.

anakinfansince1983 I enjoy stories in the coming-of-age mold, ANH combines that with all the right other influences for a highly unique experience.

TaradosGon likes this.
  9. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Star Wars
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Some thing pretending to be Star War that is on television once a week.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    The Clone Wars gets its swashbuckling 1977 Star Wars vibe on way more often and way better than about half the Star Wars films. So, no.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    That's like your opinion man. Stop telling me mine is wrong.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I was just following your lead in stating my opinion as fact, chum. ;) I fail to see how that implication could be read into one of our posts but not the other.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Keep baiting buddy.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Not trying to bait, simply responding in kind. I wasn't telling anyone not to have or state their own opinion any more than you were.

15. WilliamBard

WilliamBard Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    1. The Clone Wars (TV series)
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. A New Hope
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. The Clone Wars (film)

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay, this is insane!

17. WilliamBard

Sep 4, 2012
    Why?

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    How does TCW rate higher than the Saga?

19. WilliamBard

Sep 4, 2012
    The saga bores me, nowadays. With TCW, we're getting weekly new stories (and thus, new additions to canon), new characters, etc. Not to mention the show is feeling more and more like the classic Star Wars I grew up with, with each new episode. Some episodes (e.g. Witches of the Mist) are alone, I daresay, better than the movies. This is what Star Wars is, nowadays. This IS part of the saga, now.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Saga is the six films of the two trilogies, no more, no less. TCW means nothing to me, because it has rewritten the Clone Wars and marginalized the Clone Wars multimedia project from 2002 to 2005.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Interesting ranking. I don't rate TCW higher than every SW movie, but I rate it higher than at least half of them for this exact reason. It's feeling more and more like ANH and TESB than any other SW film with each passing season, which makes the best episodes better than those films. But to me the whole point is still the relation to the OT, so I definitely wouldn't say that even the best TCW episodes are better than ANH (or TESB) itself.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You know, I was pretty strongly shouting in the first couple of seasons that this show, when they nail it, is far better than most of the PT, and at times reaches the heights of the OT.

Over Seasons 3 and 4, I think the show lost something from the feeling of the films, even if the episodes overall were high quality. Certainly as I've said ad nauseum, their (budgetary?) decision to use inexperienced writers like Katie Lucas has led to a decline in the scripts, and of course throwing out crazy stories like Darth Maul coming back to life and wearing his Boba Fett Hallowe'en costume don't help.

I'd probably go:

ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TCW S1 & S2
    ROTS
    TPM
    TCW S3 & S4
    AOTC
    TCW film

I used to think ROTS might rise to #3 overall over ROTJ, but the video gamey-esque first 1/3 of the movie, the terrible, terrible script, and the way they mismanaged The Duel, and Christensen just ruin it for me.

The funny thing is, my tolerance for him goes down each successive time I watch the films now. In some ways TPM is preferable because no Christensen and no hideous "romance" between Anakin and Padme.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Garth Maul I feel the same way about Christensen. Every time I go to watch Ep. II and Ep. III I tell myself his acting can't throw me off that much since I'm so prepared for how bad it is, but it almost always manages to somehow be even worse than I remembered.

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    ROTS=TCW (tie)
    AOTC
    TPM

I won't even consider TCW movie canon in my view due to the horrible script. Goes down with the Ewok series for me.

The series though is good, I enjoy it for several reasons.

I didn't like how in the prequels the Clones where made out to be pre-programmed heartless monsters, the books didn't help with that portrayal either too much. Seeing the Clone Troopers view of things is one of my favorite aspects of the show, especially Rex. Even though they all have the same voice and face, each clone seems unique and different in their own way. This series has done great with the Clone Troopers, especially with Domino Squad's slowly dwindling numbers, soon Echo will be gone too. The Umbara and Rookies episodes really showed the camaraderie that the Clones had.

A huge improvement in the series is that whiny and poor acting Hayden is gone with Matt, who is a much better actor. He really seems to understand Anakin. Anakin Skywalker being the main character in GL's view in the Star Wars series, is much, much better portrayed in TCW than in the movies. He's noble, funny, brave, but you can tell at times that he is really peeved off or about to do something reckless that he truly will become Darth Vader.

I like the Obi-Wan and Anakin relationship in the series. At first I didn't like the Anakin and Ahsoka relationship, but in time as Ahsoka grew older she became more barable, the nicknames and the fooling around stopped and they became more series.

Do not like Jar-Jar, and I never watched a single episode that Jar-Jar was in more than once. That is more due to the prequel issue though than the series.

From the spoilers I've read so far, I like the way that Maul's story is going to evolve and how it might end.

One thing I like is a point that was brought up, though the series isn't as good as the OT, I do like the fact that we get something new every week in Oct - March for the past 4 years. I would probably not like Star Wars anymore if all we had where the 6 movies.

All in all, I like the series.

Garth Maul and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  25. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Apart from the original movie (1977) I now like the CW, as a collective whole, more than any of the feature films. When I was a kid I found the "Art of Star Wars" and watched the "Making of Star Wars", later I found a Starlog article detailing the early SW drafts, and I fell in love with the sprawling, crazy epic GL originally wanted to make. The PT was a step in that direction but he seemed off his game and there was so much negativity surrounding them that it just wasn't the fun experience it should have been. TCW takes an even bigger step in that original direction but with the help of Dave Filoni, some really good writers, and guest contributors like Walter Murch, the show has the same strengths as the original trilogy. I love the in-your-face mythological/religious elements, the long arcs, and the way it has finally made a fully fleshed character of Anakin Skywalker. I recently re-watched S1 for the first time since it aired and was floored by how strong the show was from the start; I even watched the movie & found that it has aged really well, especially if you know all that comes after it. TCW attracts a younger audience, one that is more openly enthusiastic and less critical than the First Gen fanbase (just browse the FB page to see) and has a much more "fun" vibe around it than the PT did. In many ways it feels like 1977-1983 again, where there are unexpected surprises around every corner and you never really know what's coming next. So, for me, TCW ranks really high.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.