main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where does it shoot?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Xenobi, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    In a new hope when Luke and Han go down and up some ladders to use the guns for the millenim falcon...where are those guns???i don't see them in any model...they are not the top guns cause they have windows...and at the sides there are no guns..so where are they from???

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    They are at the top and the bottom of the ship... gravity is re-oriented in each of these tubes so that the gunners backs are facing "down" and "up" so that they are looking out the top and bottom of the ship.

I believe there is a few shots in the SE version of ANH that show where the laser blasts are coming from on the Falcon. Plus I remember from my toy waaaaaaay back in the 80's... :)

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I always wondered that too X. It doesnt make any sense to me.

Plus they have to be close enough so they could talk to eachother.

My guess is one on top of the ship and one on the bottom.

But, like you said- There are not on any models, toys, design plans i've ever seen...

Just another hole...

4. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    Yeah, this has always been confusing for me since '77. It would seem the guns are at the top and bottom of the ship (they climb up & down a ladder, right?) but once in their seats they appear to be sitting comfortably on a horizontal plane. Just a little goofy, but of course the scene still works fine.

5. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    but the top and bottom guns don't have windows...

6. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    Maybe they were looking at a holoscreen?

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The gunwells are indeed the guns you see sticking out on the top and bottom of the ship. Here is an article from SW Insider explaining it better:

In A New Hope, Han goes up a ladder to fight off TIE Fighters while Luke goes down the same ladder. But whey they yell back and forth to one another, they are side-by-side! Shouldn't Han be above Luke?

Han is on the top. The Falcon's gunnery wells have their artificial gravity canted at 90 degrees. When you climb up the ladder, you pass through a gravity discontinuity and down is suddenly redefined for you. The same thing happens in the belly-gun. If you were to look at a cross-section of the Millennium Falcon during its escape from the Death Star, you'd see Han facing up and Luke facing down.

I hope that helped. :)

8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Anyone that has built a Millenium Falcon model would know there definitely are windows on top and bottom of the ship and there are guns there. You actually build the seats inside the ship as well, and the seat backs face up and down. It's a trick of gravity that makes them look like they are facing the sides of the ship.

9. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Didn't I just say that?? ;) :D

10. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    I know i'll sleep better now....

Thanks for da info.

11. gbonkers

gbonkers Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2004
    There was a good article on the Falcon at Star Wars Technical Commentaries but that link is there anymore...

12. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    It's obvious in the film that the guns are facing out the top and bottom of the ship: Han climbs up and Luke climbs down the ladder. When they talk to each other, they look over their shoulders, which means they're back to back. Which means that when they are each facing forward, one is facing "up" and one is "down".

The Millenium Falcon toy that Kenner sold in the old days had one gun only, and a "seat" that didn't really bear much resemblance to the way it was in the movie.

However, the plastic scale model kit (which I built, but I forgot who sold it) did have both gun turrets, along with the chairs Luke and Han sit on, and the windows they look out of, facing "up" and "down" from the perspective of someone looking at the ship in its normal orientation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.