main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where does Luke get the green crystal for his new lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JohnWilliams00, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Of course, this will be an EU answer, but I'm still curious.

Was it a big adventure or a small one? Also, how much time passes between ESB and ROTJ?

2. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    dont know the answer to either question

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I think it would be great if...

Yoda gave Luke his lightsaber and Luke used the green crystal for his new one in ROTJ that would be great.

4. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I thought Luke built his second saber from components and instructions he found in Ben's old shelter on Tattooine..

5. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    That's what I believe happened as well.

It would be great if we found out in an EU book down the road that Obi-wan kept Qui-Gon's lightsaber all those years, and that Luke used his crystal.

6. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I know many will disagree with me, but I believe that Obi-Wan's Episode III saber is green, and Luke uses those parts to make his ROTJ saber.

7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Psychotic_Sith, I've had that thought as well.

It has been stated somewhere in the EU that the parts and manual came from Ben's magic trunk in the hut. That parts of them may have come from Qui-Gon's old lightsaber is a nice thought :)

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    He got the green crystal from the fragments leftover from the destruction of the planet Krypton.

9. Brewtality

Brewtality Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2004
    In the book Shadows Of The Empire, it describes how Luke visits Tatooine after ESB and constructs his new Lightsaber in Obi-Wan Kenobi's hut. He uses an oven to create a new crystal for his Saber, and gets the instructions from a book in Obi-Wan's hut.

10. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Maybe at the end of ep3, as Obi-Wan and Yoda are going into hiding, they discuss the fact that the technology and supplies for building lightsabers have been destroyed in the Jedi Temple, and it's too dangerous to travel back to the planets where the crystals can be found.

As a result, they have to carefully store up any lightsaber-related artifacts, including (1) Obi-Wan's saber that he uses in ep3, which I believe will be the same one we see him use in ANH, (2) Anakin's saber, recovered after the duel, and given to Luke in ANH, (3) maybe Yoda's saber, and (4) the remains of a fourth saber, which is green, and which was destroyed in one of the duels. It's the parts and crystal from this fourth saber that Obi-Wan keeps in his hut, and which Luke uses to build his saber in ROTJ.

(3) and (4) could obviously be the same, but why would Yoda give up his saber when he went into hiding? I think it's more likely that (4) will be some other lightsaber, perhaps damaged by Obi-Wan in his duel with Grievous, and recovered afterwards? Maybe it was a lightsaber belonging to a prior Jedi killed by Grievous, thus giving it a sentimental value for Obi-Wan to want to recover it and keep it.

11. -techno-union-

-techno-union- Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    I figure he went on a mission to Ilum. Getting instructions from Obi-Wans hut.

12. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "In the book Shadows Of The Empire, it describes how Luke visits Tatooine after ESB and constructs his new Lightsaber in Obi-Wan Kenobi's hut. He uses an oven to create a new crystal for his Saber, and gets the instructions from a book in Obi-Wan's hut. "

That's it. That's the answer.

Why is it when the answer is in front of you people you don't see it? Luke didn't go on any missions to retrieve the crystal. It isn't Qui Gon's or parts of his saber. It's not Yoda's. Luke made the crystal in a cooker in Obi-Wan's hut. There were also all kinds of spare lightsaber parts that Luke used. I think it talks about this as well in the ROTJ novelazation but I don't remember for certian.

13. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    He cooked it in a oven what the **** that's just ****.

14. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Yes Obiwancon, he made the crystal. It's how the Sith make thier crystals as well.

15. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    "He cooked it in a oven what the **** that's just ****."

It was a Folger's crystal...

...so he used Obi-Wan's percolator. 8-}

16. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Fresh oven roasted adegans.

They make you want to rise early every morning, and protect the galaxy from evil sith lords.

That's right...Jedi Master Juan Valdez grows adegan crystals on the planet of Bogota.

17. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Does that mean Luke had to get a green crystal and bake it in the oven to "form" it or something? What does the baking do to the crystal. I'm actually surprised by this. I thought he went on some adventure to retrieve it.

Obi Wan had an Easy-Bake oven probably. He probably entertained guests with his old war stories and warm delicious treats.

18. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    Think 'kiln'...not 'what's for supper?' or 'the cookies are almost ready.' ;)

19. BibbleStrikesBack

BibbleStrikesBack Jedi Master

Jul 21, 2003
    Oh lord I hope not...he BAKES? Somehow...I just can't see Luke baking in the wonderful world of Star Wars. Maybe he thought the instructions were for Uncle Ben's Soft-Chew Jedi cookies or something (packed full of the force...and chocolate chips!). I can believe reconstructing his LS using parts from an older weapon, but baking...if that were the case, you'd think ol' OB1 would have baked some in anticipation of something like Luke or whoever needing a new lightsaber.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    In the book, he literally bakes one. Like following a receipe for chocolate brownies or something.

He gets together various ingredients as listed in a book of Obi-Wan's, mixes them together correctly, and bakes them to create the crystal.

Bear in mind though that, as is the case with any EU material, Lucas can come along and do things differently in the films. So if Obi-Wan ends up holding onto some lightsabre crystals in Ep3 for his retirement hut on Tatooine, expect some revisionist history ;)

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    This is a little off-topic, but one of my favorite scenes in the ESB novelization is where Luke is running around in Yoda's hut, cutting up ingredients to make the stew he and Yoda ate all the time at frantic speed, then he fights off 3 remotes with a spoon and a knife. Cool stuff. Luke also came to love Yoda's cooking, which is interesting. The cooking was part of the training.

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Ha! That's a novel way of looking at it.

23. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    "In the book, he literally bakes one. Like following a receipe for chocolate brownies or something.

He gets together various ingredients as listed in a book of Obi-Wan's, mixes them together correctly, and bakes them to create the crystal."

Do you think he let R2 lick the spoon?

24. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    then he fights off 3 remotes with a spoon and a knife.

Remotes, like the one that Luke practices with on the Falcon? Not only do I have a weird image of remotes flying around Yoda's tiny hut, but now he is fighting them with utensils. The only thing missing is a pink apron!

First the baking and now this, I'm not so sure Luke is my hero anymore.

j/k [face_laugh]

I do like the idea of Luke helping with the cooking and the ingredients though. Very kind of him.

25. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Next week on the food network: Cooking with Luke

"Today we'll be making a delicious green lightsaber crystal."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.