main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Where Does Star Wars Rank in Your Franchise Interests?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by BB-8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    Is Star Wars your favorite?

For example, maybe you also like Star Trek- would you rank Star Wars above it or below it?

So yeah, what are some of your other favorite genre franchises, and is Star Wars at the top, or does something else outrank it for you?

Here's a rough ranking of mine.

Star Wars
    DC Comics
    Star Trek
    Masters of The Universe
    Universal Monsters
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Marvel
    ALIEN
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Ghostbusters
    Looney Tunes

And let us define franchise as a property with a series of movies, a TV show, and/or something you could readily find a lot of merchandise for. Actually, the amount of merchandise, or my compulsion to buy merchandise for a given franchise, helped in my rankings.

2. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Other franchises? There are OTHERS? :)

Seriously though, Star Wars is #1.

3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I get in different moods (It's fanfiction that really get my interest more than canon for different fictional universes)

Star Wars was my first favorite. I was into it a at very young age. I watched the OT on VHS in the 90's. I also liked TPM a lot.I had the game for the playstation. First saw it on VHS too. I use to play star wars when I was little with other kids and my younger brother.

Then I got into Lord of the Rings. I liked it more than Star Wars. I use to have a lot of lotr action figures. I like play LOTRO.

I also like Harry Potter.

I have other interest(like some Anime and Video games fictional universes/story), but these are the big three.

Going by official released stuff/merchandise such as movies, games, books and the direction the franchise has turned as a bigger factor than the "fandom stuff" that helps keep the interest then my ranking is

LOTR
    HP
    SW (I am not a big fan of disney or EU, not that I liked everything pre disney cause I didn't)

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    My favorite is still Star Wars, with a few other good ones ranked below it, as shown in this list (top 5 only):
    1. Star Wars
    2. Transformers
    3. Lord of The Rings
    4. Ghostbusters
    5. Looney Tunes

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Cleo Jinn likes this.
  5. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    STAR WARS NUMBA 1 !!!!

Then Indy, then Bond...

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  6. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I've never poured into any fictional universe or franchise as much as I have Star Wars, new canon and Legends, but I do have other interests. Generally, I use how much fanfiction I've read of each as a metric.

1. Star Wars
    2. Stargate
    3. Jurassic Park
    4. Lord of the Rings
    5. Harry Potter
    6. Mass Effect
    7. The Culture
    8. Marvel (particularly Guardians of the Galaxy)
    9. DC (specifically the Nolanverse)
    10. The Orion's Arm worldbuilding project

Other favourite works of fiction are the movies Ben-Hur and the Indiana Jones series, as well as all things Sherlock. But probably my two favourite works of fiction outside of Star Wars and Stargate are online original fiction and fanfiction, respectively; Worm, and Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

7. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    numero uno!

pretty big HP fan, mostly because my fiancee is nuts about that world (still waiting for her letter...)
    Bond
    LOTR
    Zelda
    Final Fantasy

I hate ranking stuff, but Star Wars is easily number one

8. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    it's number one. i'm not part of any other boards dealing with franchises i like, so that's how i know i value star wars more than the other franchises i like

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Star Wars is pretty much #1 for me. I also like ST and HP, and I've seen all the POTC, Jurassic and Indy films multiple times. Not a LOTR fan at all - I could never get into the books. If we're into TV territory, then add Doctor Who onto the list. I liked Guardians of the Galaxy but the other Marvel films really haven't interested me.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It switches between first and second with Jurassic Park. Depends on the mood I'm in, I guess.

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    1. Doctor Who
    2. Star Wars
    3. Myst
    4. Assassin's Creed
    5. Lord of the Rings

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Star Wars is #1 for me, then it's Spider-Man....after that it is hard to rank them but I love Marvel, Batman, Indiana Jones, James Bond, LOTR, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter.

13. Cleo Jinn

Cleo Jinn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 7, 2015
    Star Wars
    LotR
    Louis L'amour (books and the movies)
    Scooby Doo
    Looney Toons (ecspecialy Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote)
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Captian America
    Spiderman
    Marvel

14. CorellianVolkswagen

CorellianVolkswagen Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    My big 3 are Star Wars, Star Trek and James Bond. Star Wars was the first (being part of my life since pre-memory) and biggest.

15. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Star Wars is No. 1 for me at the moment. Having active movies underway and no EU causing "everything happened already syndrome" is great.
    Next is the MCU, which also has active projects and a fairly tight continuity.
    LOTR and Narnia rank super highly for me, but there isn't much to do there except an occasional re-reading or -watching, so they don't quite scratch the itch that an ongoing series does. Ditto 24.
    Terminator, Aliens, Predator, Robocop — the franchises that quickly became my favorites when I started watching R-rated movies.
    Various anime — Attack on Titan and Naruto are the ones I most care about. I've watched other shows, but I kind of feel like I only want to make room in my brain for one Naruto-sized investment in a big fighting series.

Honorable mention: Star Trek used to rate highly for me, but it's become such a snarl at this point, I treat it sort of like a beloved relative who's gone senile.

Up for future inclusion: Game of Thrones. If someday it gets an ending, I will read/watch it.

AmySolo likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1. Star Wars

2. Everything else

-Jedi Joe-, Sith-I-5 and AmySolo like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    First.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I have many, but this is the only one I belong to any boards on. It's the one I discuss the most online. But I'm also a big Game of Thrones fan, as well as Harry Potter and others. I recently started watching Jessica Jones since it's not like most Marvel shows, I like it better than most superhero movies. Vikings would be my other pleasure, save for Criminal Minds, which I'm not sure counts as franchise.

I'm also waiting for the Peculiar Children movie. The books (by Ransom Riggs) are easy reading, but they are quite good and the photos are very cool.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    SW, Trek, LotR, Firefly

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    STAR WARS is Everything !

2. James Bond 007

3.everything else comes and goes...Marvel super heroes i guess....and Christopher Reeve's Superman

4. LOTR i suppose.

21. OmegaKhaos

OmegaKhaos Jedi Knight

Nov 16, 2012
    For me it is

1.Digimon
    2.Yu-Gi-Oh
    3.Star Wars

22. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Honestly, before Disney bought Lucasfilm, Star Wars was my all time number 1. But my unhappiness with TFA, most of the comics, and all of the novels has reduced my fanfare . It's become lazy, boring, and just there. I do love all the LOTR lore and the movies are cinematic masterpieces. Also I know lots of people didn't enjoy them but, The Matrix franchise has my heart . I absolutely love them. So I guess 5 years ago I would say Star Wars. Now it's the LOTR/Hobbit/JRR Tolkien lore that I love .

23. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Ohhhh great thread, i never considered this!
    1.Metal Gear
    2.Star War's
    3.Splinter Cell
    5.The Elder Scroll's ( I play alot of VG's)
    Anything else would be comic or comic book movie related.

AmySolo and AplagueOnTheWise like this.
  24. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I never even thought of Video Games! Yea Metal Gear is up there for the past 20 years. Great franchise and crazy lore. Continuing that train of thought is the Fallout series more also. Great stuff. Man MGS fiction is amazing and down right complicated.

ReyPrescott likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    But I'll be real now, I actually do have quite a bit of interests in franchises :p

1) Star Wars
    2) Middle-earth
    3) DC
    4) Marvel
    5) Harry Potter (books)
    6) Christopher Nolan films (he's gotten so good that I do consider his films a franchise)
    7) Pirates of the Caribbean
    8) Indiana Jones
    9) Narnia
    10) Star Trek
    11) Hunger Games
    12) Godzilla

ReyPrescott and AmySolo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.