main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where does the Ewok show happen?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by El Kabong, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    I picked up the two Ewok movies during DDD's 20% sale, having not seen them for 20 years now. The one question I have - where in continuity do they take place. It seems that it would have to be after Jedi, with the Ewoks being pretty civilized now and everything - but I cant point to anything in them that locks it down.

Help me, Star Wars geeks! I must maintain continity on my DVD shelf!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They occur between ESB and ROTJ, just prior to the heavy Imperial presence surrounding the DS2's construction. Wicket is also younger than he is in ROTJ.

3. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    So Wicket just forgets the English he learns and his familiarity with humans?

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I could speak French in High School. But I haven't had a French class for almost 3 years, and now I can barely speak a word of it.

5. RonanDarklighter

RonanDarklighter Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2005
    I don't buy it. I believe they take place after "Return of the Jedi". Do you have a source on this?

6. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    What, after RotJ? In the middle of the Endor Holocaust? :p

There's a timeline here listing them as being 3ABY. Do a quick search on Google with the phrase "star wars timeline ewoks" and it's pretty much a foregone conclusion mate ;)
    I recall there was a timeline on the Behind the Magic cds but I can't lay them to hand at the moment.

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> So Wicket just forgets the English he learns and his familiarity with humans?<<

He likely either forgot the langauge (as suggested above) or Cindel and her family were speaking a different language (as cited below); as for his familarity with humans, keep in mind that between Cindel's departure and his encounter with Leia, the Ewoks had encountered the Imperials, who were likely not friendly towards them so they've likely learned to be wary of humans they encounter- especially armed, helmeted ones.

>>I don't buy it. I believe they take place after "Return of the Jedi". Do you have a source on this?<<

Well, the easiest would be an online timeline like Timeline Gold, but for an official source, Wicket's Databank entry sets them prior to the events of ROTJ, for one.

The Official Site goes on to cite SW Insider for additional info (including addressing the language issue):

A timeline published in the Star Wars Insider places the Ewok movies as happening a short time before Return of the Jedi. There is no Imperial presence visible on Endor, suggesting the films take place before the Death Star operation began in earnest. Also, Wicket appears to learn english through his association with Cindel. It is likely that the language Cindel was speaking was not Basic, but another language, and that it was translated into english for the benefit of the viewing audience. Thus, Wicket doesn't understand what Princess Leia is saying when those two meet.

8. RonanDarklighter

Nov 30, 2005
    Okay, with a credible sourse, I accept that. But it doesn't make a lot of sense, considering the Ewoks hostile response to humans in "Jedi". I always thought of "Ewok Adventure" (I refuse to call it "Caravan of Courage". That's just one step away from calling "Star Wars" "A New Hope" and saying "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark") as pre-Jedi, but "BAttle for Endor" confused me.

I have to ask, what exactly is this Endor holocaust of which you speak? Does this come from books I haven't read or something? "Jedi" ends with a freakin' country bear jamboroo, not a holocaust. Just wondering.

9. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    :p Holocaust
    It's a situation which, to be fair, George Lucas has gone on record to say didn't occur. But if you're going to rationalise the SW universe to levels of cause-and-effect, it's what happens when you destroy the Death Star above an inhabited planet and some of the debris etc is pulled into the atmosphere by gravity.

As it's been denied/disproven, it's totally non-canon but quite an interesting (or amusing, depending on how much you love the furry critters) read. :)

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But it doesn't make a lot of sense, considering the Ewoks hostile response to humans in "Jedi".<<

Well, again, between Cindel's departure and Wicket's encounter with Leia, a lot of helmeted, armed humans have arrived on Endor and given the Ewoks good reason to be hostile towards them. A "they're not all nice like Cindel's family, watch out!" type situation.

>>I always thought of "Ewok Adventure"... as pre-Jedi, but "BAttle for Endor" confused me.<<

Well, if one was pre-Endor, then the other had to be as well, as we don't see Cindel's family with the Ewoks in ROTJ and they wouldn't have been marooned on Endor with the Alliance there.

11. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    What is your rationalization behind this? Now, I can understand saying "Raiders of the Lost Ark," simply because Indiana was one of the raiders of the lost ark. But calling ANH "Star Wars" simply doesn't make sense storywise. Calling something "Star Wars" would imply that it is the saga in its entirety. Plus, ANH, as you know, is the fourth chapter in a six-part series, therefore it wouldn't make sense title-wise. And "Caravan of Courage" distinguishes the first film from the second, since both are "Ewok Adventures." Plus, the title "Caravan of Courage" basically explains the event central to the film, which is the caravan of courageous humans and ewoks, who cross the Endor moon to rescue the kids' parents. Plus, calling it "The Ewok Adventure" wouldn't make sense, because the film doesn't center on the ewoks specifically, unlike the "Ewoks" animated series, which is appropriately titled because it centers on the ewoks.

No offense, but the only reason I can think of why anyone would call ANH "Star Wars" or COC "The Ewok Adventure," would be due to childhood nostalgia. The titles were changed properly to fit the story. And if you'll notice, Raiders of the Lost ark actually didn't have its title changed. It was only on the cover, not in the actual film itself.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And Caravan of Courage has actually always been called that, just not in the US. It got that title when it was released on the big screen in the UK, I think. Here in Sweden it was released the same year as in the US, under the title "Hjältarnas Karavan" which literally means "Caravan of Courage".

So it's not the same thing as "Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark".

13. RonanDarklighter

Nov 30, 2005
    "Star Wars" and "The Ewok Adventure" are the real, original titles. The titles have been changed, fine. And Greedo fired first. That doesn't make it right.

Seriously, I was being a bit tounge-in-cheek. I say "A New Hope" when I'm referring to it in the context of the series and the "Star Wars" universe. When I'm referring to it in the context of cinema as a whole, I will always call it "Star Wars", because that was the title under which it was released. As for "Caravan of Courage", I don't really care, but I first knew it as "The Ewok Adventure" so that's what I'll always call it.

14. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    It has been documented that "Star Wars" was what 20th Century Fox forced Lucas to call it, in order to fit their "standards." Since they changed the title from what Lucas originally intended it to be, which is "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope," then ANH actually is its true, original title. Same situation with Caravan of Courage. As TigerCraneFist pointed out above, its original title was also changed. When it was originally made, its title was "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure." But for the TV airing, the networks changed it to "The Ewok Adventure." So it was the original release titles that were originally changed, not the current ones.

I'm just pointing out how silly I find it that people still] call something by its incorrect name. Take for example ESB and ROTJ. Film critics continue to refer to them as simply that, which is only their subtitles, while calling TPM, AOTC, and ROTS "Star Wars Episode (fill in subtitle here)." Now that truly doesn't make sense, because the opening crawls for those two films always contained the Star Wars specification, the complete Episode number, and subtitle. In that situation, it's as if they are basically pretending the title is that, when it never was. It's the same with people and TV networks who insist on calling FOTR "Lord of the Rings," or people who are now calling The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe "The Chronicles of Narnia." It just doesn't make sense. FOTR is not the LOTR saga in its entirety, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is not the Chronicles of Narnia saga in its entirety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.