Before Where Faith Is--A Qui-Gon/OC Jemmiah Chronicles long story--Author's note, 9/21

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Heehee. I was so ridiculously proud of that last line, but it came to me while rereading TLST the other day when Dex was sprawled with a compound fracture and still getting all randy toward Leona. I figured that she would have that wry kind of perception after that of his hormones. She does have a long and wearisome road ahead of her.
  2. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    She smiled for the first time that day. "Dex is doomed."

[face_laugh]

Great job, Ish.

Hehehehee... I wonder who's bright idea it was to put Qui-Gon with Leona... [face_whistling]
  3. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    *snrk* yeah, bright idea indeed.
  4. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Just finally playing catch up. So Leona gets to not only go out on a mission but with Qui-Gon as well?? Except there's a hormonal disease killing off Jedi?? Lovely intrigue!

And that last line, loved it!

*wipes coffee from the monitor*. Can't leave any evidence while at work. ;)
  5. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL. Yup, they're off to see the wizard together.
  6. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh wow! Leona's sent on a mission with all those lives depending on her. I know she's up to it, but how will throwing Qui-Gon in the mix help or hinder her? ;)

Fabulous post Ish! :)
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    There's going to be a very important reason why Qui-Gon's along, but I ain't sayin' nothin'!
  8. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    "The good news is that you're not up-to-date on all your vaccinations," Dimallie announced as she entered the room.

"That doesn't bode well for the bad news," Qui-Gon observed wryly.

"The bad news is for Padawan Caderul," she announced, stepping aside to reveal a fairly trembling thirteen-year-old with an armful of syringes. "It's her first time."

Fearing that this was, in fact, not a cruel joke born out of Dimallie's nearly-nonexistent sense of humor, he turned a pleading glance on her.

"And she'll be handing the syringes to you before you hand them to someone who's hit the mark on the first try before, right?"
    "Don't worry," she said with unnecessary cheer. "Most of them don't require a particular vein, so she can just aim for anywhere on your..."

She gestured vaguely, inspiring a sharp decrease in his confidence.

"Oh, Sithspawn," he groaned, half-cursing and half-identifying the origin of his travel-sized tormentor.

"I'm not letting you do this!"

Her sentence had been cut off, unexpectedly, by an uncharacteristic outburst from An-Paj.

"Oh, Sith," Qui-Gon mumbled. "Jemmiah's in for another checkup, is she?"

"Healer P'lila, actually," Dimallie corrected.

"I thought her exam was yesterday," he observed idly.

"It was," she supplied, "but she has a few last-minute details to take care of."

Perhaps I can beg my way into enlisting her services.

Apparently, An-Paj's scruples had gotten the better of him, since his voice was now at the maddening level where they could all hear that he was speaking, but would require a longer hearing range to understand any of it. Against his better judgment and probably in opposition to his survival instinct, he stretched out with the Force to enhance his hearing.

This is for the good of the mission. I need to know if she's unwell.

"...Too dangerous," An-Paj was saying. "We don't know the extent of the problem and until we do, I can't have you taking unnecessary risks."

"This is hardly unnecessary," Leona snapped, "and you know that you would do the same in a Coruscant minute if you were given the chance."

"It's foolishness," he diagnosed.

"It's motivation," she countered, "and it will make sure that we won't fail."

Whatever "it" was never became clear, since the next noise was of her rapid footfalls approaching. He shut off the enhancement, then looked up to smile hopefully at Leona as she entered.

"Come to give me moral support?" he asked hopefully. "Take over the duty? Dismiss my tormentors?"

"No," Leona said brusquely, "I could use a bit of entertainment and seeing a grown man cry always seems to suffice."
    "I still don't understand why you have to pilot," she protested as they settled into the shuttle's flight couches. "I'm perfectly capable..."

"Stars, woman," Qui-Gon grunted unhappily. "Are you going to argue all the way to Corellia?"

She rolled her eyes, but they at least started to soften. "If necessary," she explained. "Now, why aren't you letting the superior pilot..."

"Because this one has better padding."

At her confused gesture, he pantomimed the enthusiastic stab that he had suffered only a few hours back. This elicited a further roll of the eyes.

"It wasn't that bad," she protested.

"Not the vaccinations themselves," he conceded, "but the third time she broke a needle off while trying to extract it was a bit much."

She actually managed a sympathetic grimace, but did not apologize for her foul mood. "All right," she conceded. "We'll let you be the crycrecheling today."

"Thank you," he said graciously.

A long moment passed as he guided the shuttle into the air, moving in a controlled pattern around the traffic that never ceased in this area of Coruscant.

"I'd have thought you would be pleased," he added a moment later.

"Hmmm?" was her only response. "How do you calculate that one?"

"Well," he responded with a smirk, "this means you have to tend to my posterior on a daily basis. Given that it's your favorite area..."

On seco
  9. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "No," Leona said brusquely, "I could use a bit of entertainment and seeing a grown man cry always seems to suffice."

ROFLOL! Spoken like a true healer! And naughty Leona too, making that remark about her posterior! Lol at Obi-Wan coming to grief whilst studying. And yes, if Mace did find out that the Bel Ethri and Bel Asha families were in some way related it would make his hair grow back in shock! [face_laugh]
  10. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, that's one side-effect I'd never thought of. Leona does have her naughty side, it's to be admitted.
  11. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I forgot to thank Jemmy for the helpful info on Corellia, the names of our two fave Corellians, and putting up with my odd sidetracks.
  12. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Force Ghost

star 2
    ROFL! Gotta love Leona's idea of entertainment.:p
    -K'Tai
  13. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, she's been hanging around Jemmy too much.
  14. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sassy Leona... I enjoyed that immensely Ish... more than Qui-Gon did apparently. Because this one has better padding. LOL!!
  15. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    If Mace knew that the families of Dex and Son of were conspiring against him by marrying each other, he'd go quite out of his mind."

I think if Mace ever found out about that he would never step on Corellia for the rest of his life. [face_laugh]

As for Leona being entertained by Qui get stabbed with innoculations... She should have taken holo's! After selling them off she could have funded the entire mission! [face_whistling]

Fabulous post Ish!
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Healer_Leona--Sassy Leona... I enjoyed that immensely Ish... more than Qui-Gon did apparently. Because this one has better padding. LOL!!

LOL, glad that came out well.

mouse2--If Mace knew that the families of Dex and Son of were conspiring against him by marrying each other, he'd go quite out of his mind."

I think if Mace ever found out about that he would never step on Corellia for the rest of his life.

Jemmy suggested that it might make his hair grow back in shock.

As for Leona being entertained by Qui get stabbed with innoculations... She should have taken holo's! After selling them off she could have funded the entire mission!

I'd buy a few of those holos...

Fabulous post Ish!

Thanks.
  17. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    "I'm afraid we can't help you."

Leona frowned. "Can't or won't?" she pressed.

The man was, to his credit, looking appropriately nervous at the idea of being involved in a criminal investigation. He didn't have the customary bluster and hostility that most people adopted when dealing with Jedi.

"May I remind you that children are dying?" she continued in the absence of appropriate response.

He nodded slightly, unhappily. "That's not my holdup, love," he assured her. "The fact of the matter is that we only deal in corporate sales. The actual distribution is up to the individual companies."

"And how many corporate orders have you filled with the exact list of components?" Qui-Gon interjected.

"Only seventy-six," the man admitted, "but there's a separate possibility that if your quarry wanted to cover his tracks, he might have ordered from multiple distributors."

"Make it harder to trace," Leona agreed.

He scanned the list, frowning. "Blaming dying kids on this sort of concoction is bordering on a conspiracy theory."

"We're out here on Corellia," Leona reminded him. "It's gotten a bit past a 'theory.'"

"And you're sure it's not a natural virus?"

"We considered that," she admitted, "and those who are still at the Temple are investigating that possibility, but the targets and makeup of the affliction are too specialized to suggest that it's not a manufactured."

He sighed, then glanced at the datapad. "If I pulled the files of all likely and unlikely suspects, it would take six hours just to get them filed and sent to you. Isn't there a faster way to figure this thing out?"

"Probably," Leona conceded, "but for the moment, it's not being terribly informative. We'll simply have to let the Force guide us."
    "You're looking pale," Qui-Gon observed helpfully.

"And you're looking like an overgrown vrelt again," she shot back. "What else is new?"

"You can't fault me for being concerned," he protested. "We need you to be at your best, since I'm next to useless in understanding this sort of thing."

"I know," Leona sighed, waving dismissively. "I'll just make sure I take the supplements An-Paj provided."

"Good girl," he murmured, leaning across to brush her lips. "I'll call that a kiss goodnight, then."

"Who says you get to go to bed?"

"The infallible logic that I'll be of more use to you when I'm not brain-dead," he explained lightly.

"Ah," she grunted, "I hate it when you use that one."

"You're welcome to borrow it," he suggested.

She sighed again, for lack of a better expression of her frustration, then ceased her habit of glaring a hole through the datapad.

"All right," she surrendered, "I'll call it a night."
  18. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Will post more this week when I'm not feeling down and out with the flu, like right now.
  19. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hope you get to feeling better Ish!

Great post! I really wish though that Leona and Qui would find someone willing to help them no matter how much work it would be. They're trying to save children for Force sake!
  20. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Thanks, mouse. They'll find someone to help them, you'll see, but it won't be who you expect.
  21. lost_jedii Jedi Master

star 2
    Great story DarthIsthtar!!! :D I can't wait for more, I hope you feel better too.
  22. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  23. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    "Leona?"

The alarm had been going off for the last three minutes and, while it was fine for Leona to get that extra sleep, it was hardly fair of her to simply leave it on while she stuffed her head under the pillow.

"Leona," he said more loudly, "for the love of the Force, turn the blasted thing off and be done with it."

Still no response. Chancing her wrath, he opened the door and moved to the bedside table, shutting the alarm off and resetting it for a more reasonable hour.

To be more specific, four reasonable hours from now.

He turned to go, hand reaching out to smooth the hair back from her cheek...

And encountered something warm and liquid.

Oh, Sith.

He switched on the lamp, which usually made her cringe away from the brightness, even if she were asleep.

Instead, she remained limp.

There wasn't much blood, of that they could be thankful, but the cold sweat she had mentioned in other cases was present.

He normally didn't curse his ability to sleep soundly, but this merited an exception.

Oh, Sith.

His hand was now holding his commlink, but he couldn't remember having reached for it or dialing it to the local medcenter's frequency.

"We need transport immediately."
    He didn't know how long he had been in the meditation trance, only that he felt hardly refreshed when the medic lay a hand on his shoulder and informed him that he had a comm waiting from the Jedi Temple.

He followed the woman reluctantly into the medcenter's communications room, unsurprised to find that An-Paj had been the one to respond.

"You knew about this," was Qui-Gon's first accusation.

He had not identified the crisis, only had commed the Temple to say that Leona had taken ill and he required assistance. The man's pallor and grim expression were answer enough.

"I knew she infected herself," the man confirmed. "That is why we argued that last day. She was attempting to convince me to help her do so and I considered it an unnecessary risk. As it turned out, she had already done so, in which case I provided medicine."

"Medicine didn't work on the others," Qui-Gon retorted. "What makes you think..."

"I gave her hormonal suppressants," An-Paj reasoned. "While they could not cure the disease, I surmised that stopping the spread would be treatment enough for the time being."

"The time being what?" Qui-Gon shot back. "She's been unresponsive to stimuli, Force-induced or otherwise and the saving grace of this situation is that they may be able to put her in stasis."

"I'll be in contact with the medcenter there," An-Paj assured him. "Most likely, they'll have the proper medication to continue the treatment."

This was hardly satisfactory, but it was the best they could do for the time being.

"I'll tell them to expect your call."
  24. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    The best they could say for her was that she hadn't lost any more blood.

She was either in a relatively ineffective healing trance or in hibernation, since they had found it unnecessary to put her into stasis, but she was making no improvement otherwise.

CorSec had graciously assigned something of an aide to them, since they were relatively unfamiliar with the bureaucratic proceedings of this world, but Qui-Gon had hesitated to use the young man's services except in matters of acting as a go-between for the government and Jedi alike.

Now that he actually required assistance, however, the man was nowhere to be found.

Nevertheless, he spent his days doing research on the trade agreements that they had found through discreet inquiries. Most of them were couched in other documents, more formal procedures of which business was a relatively minor aspect, and most were undeniably useless.

He needed to be back on the streets again, but he couldn't afford to leave Leona, no matter what her current stability was.

On the fourth day, he was awoken by a slight stirring in the bed next to his chair and he blinked fatigue from his eyes to find Leona regarding him hazily.

"'S coming," she muttered.

"You gave us quite the scare," he retorted.

"Krin...'s coming," she repeated thickly, struggling visibly to remain conscious. "'S coming, can't..."

Her eyes drifted shut again and she let out a long sigh.

Perfect. She's hallucinating dead loved ones. What's next? Force-predictions?

"Master Jinn?"

He half-turned, catching a glimpse of dark hair and familiar eyes as the young woman approached.

"We'd best converse outside," he said hastily, moving past her to the corridor.

She followed, then closed the door quietly behind her.

"I've been sent to aid you in the investigation," she explained. "CorSec thought it best if someone with medical experience were to take my predecessor's place."

"Ah," he grunted. "A wise choice. I'm Qui-Gon Jinn..."

"Yes, I'm aware of that," she said patiently. "I'm Dr. P'lila. Karina P'lila."
  25. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Holy tamole Leona! What were you thinking?? :eek:

And Karina?!?! I certainly hope Leona wakes up soon!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.