main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where have all the good times gone? NEW VAN HALEN!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Jack1138, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    OK, I checked and the following thread was locked;

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/27264239/p6

It seems that this is real. There really is a new Van Halen disc coming out on February 7th called "A Different Kind of Truth." There is also a new single called "Tattoo"

See the video here

Word around the web is that it sucks. I disagree. It's good but not great. What do folks expect? Another Jump? Another Panama? No. The tune is actually a 'rework' of an older song called "Down in Flames" that was played live back in the late 70's but never recorded for an album. Word is they reworked many older demos for this disc.

I don't care. Seeing Eddie and DLR in a video again was somewhat surreal. Like it was not happening. I like the song and hope to hear better off the disc. Plus they will be in Orlando April 14th!! :) I saw 'Van Hagar' back in 1988 in Tampa. What do you folks think of this song?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I will not buy the new album, but I would attend a concert.

3. Jack1138

Jan 8, 2005
    I think that is the point. Older bands just put out discs for fun anymore. When one goes to a show, we want to hear the classics. These guys like many others have nothing left to prove.

4. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    That song was terrible.

5. Jack1138

Jan 8, 2005
    It was miles ahead better than ANYTHING off of 'Van Halen 3' with Gary Cherone. :rolleyes:

I guess that says something. With a title like 'Tattoo' I would have expected Motley Crue to do the song.

Nothing like THIS Classic song!

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    no, this is like one of the most hilariously awful things ever.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Kind of embarrassing.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://www.pelomundo.radio.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/homersimpson.jpg]

No! No new crap, play Taking care of business!!!

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The good times were cut off along with Eddie's tongue. /valerie bertinelli

11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The only band allowed to make new songs after twenty years is Pink Floyd.

Both Roger Walters and David Gilmour. They can make music that still works and sound relevant.

Maybe there is a little credence to writing songs when you are drunk and partying. Cause when you try to do it sober twenty years later it definitely sucks.

This sounds like a bunch of middle age men trying to revive their twenties with their band and only their loved ones humoring them.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    When I was a kid I bought their whole back catalogue after 1984 came out. Stayed with them well past the Sammy days. Now I can't even drum up enough interest to listen to this song for free.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I, uhhh. Ummm.

Pink Floyd broke up, last album was in 1993. Waters last solo album was 1994, but has released an opera in 2005.

Anyway, there will not be anymore Pink Floyd albums, so what you are saying is moot.

14. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    exactly, which is why Van Halen shouldn't be putting out an album.

If pink floyd isn't going to do it then no one should.

15. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    imo steve vai is better then eddie van halen.
    favorite david lee roth song.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    beezelogic.

17. Jack1138

Jan 8, 2005
    If you are going to go the Pink Floyd route consider this, Richard Wright is dead. For those not informed he was the keyboard player. In the late 1980's David Gilmour got Nick Mason and Richard Wright together and did "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." A decent disc but for all intents and purposes it was a David Gilmour solo album. Roger Waters was not included and there were lawsuits and noise. DG and folks continued into 1995 with "The Division Bell." Another decent disc but there is no way it could ever measure up to "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Wall." It was over but they banked the tour cash.

Led Zeppelin never re-formed to do an album after John Bonham died in 1980. They did some shows afterwards here and there, last one was in 2007 in London. Page and Plant got together in the mid 1990's for a couple of discs but "Walking into Clarksdale" just did not sell so why do another Led Zeppelin album? It would pale in comparison to their prior works. They made the right choice.

Van Halen back with David Lee Roth?! Sounds perfect, looks good on paper. However, they will not top "1984." Not a chance.

I saw an interview with both Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi in Guitar World in late 2010 where they were not even talking about new music because people would just steal it through illegal downloads. Times change I guess, New Van Halen AND a new Black Sabbath in the works with Ozzy Osbourne... And Tony has Cancer. Wow. Just go to the show and see the classics. The new tunes will not amount to much and if they do, I stand corrected! [face_skull]

18. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Kind of like how catching syphilis is miles better than catching AIDS.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I endorse this comparison. If my options are to listen to this terrible song ever again or violent self-injury, I would rather beat my own penis bloody with a hammer...

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I think all the good times went after 1984, which came out when I was like two years old, forgive my lack of nostalgia

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Where Have All The Good Times Gone - The Kinks
    You Really Got Me - The Kinks

Jump - Van Halen
    Tattoo - Van Halen

Nuff said.

22. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Yes.

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Heard the song today on the radio. Yaaaaaawn

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    2nd new song sounding better than 'Tattoo'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7ZqN8Ksdg

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    shoot me in the face. please, i beg you.