main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

where is a good place to find rare figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Young_Punk, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young_Punk

Young_Punk Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    I always go to tru and I can never find the figs i am looking for.

2. cooltazz

cooltazz Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    well go to yard sales. flea mearkets.
    places like that.
    and try ebay. but the price of shiping will kill u lol.
    but u will be happy what u can find at a yard sales.

3. Haunted_By_The_Kiss

Haunted_By_The_Kiss Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    Why not go to your local Rare Figures R Us?...hehe.

There are no magic stores that always have "rare" figures. You have to hunt!

4. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    i assume we're talking about new "rare" figures--AT-TE gunners and such. in that case, the best advice is to cover as many stores as possible as often as possible.

TRU is last on my list. the don't restock very often and the prices tend to be higher. same for K-Mart and KB toys, but don't overlook those stores because sometimes other collectors overlook them and you can find something good.

Wal-Mart and Target are the two where i have the best luck. the problem is that you have to either get some inside information about when they restock, or show up at the right time. it may sound crazy, but i usually end up hitting at least one wal-mart every day during the summer. i've been to Target 4 times this week, but i still managed to miss out on the new cups. but like i said, persistence is the key to finding the hard-to-find figures, and wal-mart/target tend to restock more often. by restocking more often, they tend to have a better selection.

5. mterracciano

mterracciano Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Wal Mart and Target are where I've had my best luck. I saw more Red and Blue Guards at Target today as well as some AT-TE Gunners. Target and Wal Mart are where I found a lot of the harder to find ones at the time.

But, on the other hand, I found the Final Duel Playset at Kay Bee. Kay Bee is a little pricy though. 6.99 for figures doesn't cut it for me.

Hit Wal Mart and Target right when they open. That's what I do.

6. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    ^except all the wal-marts around here are open 24 hours, so that doesn't always work.

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I go to Target for my SW toy related items. Go during the off hours, Sunday
    afternoons, etc.

8. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Best place to go in the world for rare figures would be where the kenner factory used to be situated as I was reading on a site alot of the prototypes were chucked away in bins so of course people were going in the bins and selling them at the market so I bet they still sell there now.
    Another place to go are conventions,celebration 3 had loads of things there and I could have quite easily spent $20,000 in a couple of hours easily.

9. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Except that prices at conventions are usually too high (especially if a figure is considered 'rare'). However, conventions ARE a great place to get older, now forgotten action figures at GREAT prices.

10. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    i assumed the original poster, Young_Punk, was referring to the hard to find ROTS figures. maybe he can clarify what he's looking for?

11. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    C 3 was great to look at old stuff, but some of those vendor prices were way
    too high. Like 40 bucks for a Droids figure?

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Depends on which Droids figure was $40.00. Considering all of the truely "rare" figures are from the Droids line $40 could be a great deal ;)

I assume too that the orginal poster is talking about ROTS figures and if that is truely the case then I have to say... anywhere.

Just wait, that is the key to any movie year line. Nothing in the ROTS line is going to be rare (with the exception of a few errors). If you wait a week, a month, two months you'll be picking the "rare" figures out of clearance bins ;)

13. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    To be honest with you there was some good deals going on the last day at C3 I see a AT-AT in an empire box there and it went down to $120 the box was not badly damaged it was a nice piece, I would have bought it if I was able to get it home cause something like that on places like ebay go for at least two fo three times the price.

14. Darth-Blix

Darth-Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    go to comic book/collectibles shop.

15. StormTroopersAttack

StormTroopersAttack Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Walmart and Target are my two places to shop for figures. I don't shop at TRU or K-Mart since they charge at least $1.00 more and the selections are about the same.

16. maul205

maul205 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    target is a good place but even though kb is way more expensive
    that is where i've had my luck. tru never has anthing new and most of the time the workers never know what your talking about.
    collector:" do u have at-te tank gunner?" Worker: "huh?"

17. mterracciano

mterracciano Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Besides being at the store right when they open, another way to get the good figures is to be in the right place at the right time.

Example - I was at Kay Bee the other day looking at the over priced figures. The kid behind the counter just came up to me and told me "oh, we're getting a truck in with 15 cases in about 10 minutes."

So he had 15 cases of 33-44 (minus the AT-TE Gunner of course.) at my disposal.

I bought a couple of 41 CT's. You can never have enough clones! :)

18. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    I always find a lot of good stuff at Targets, though every now and then KB will come through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.