Social Where is everyone who said "Episode 7 will NOT happen"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Darth_Punk, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Punk Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Mar 12, 2002
    star 4
    Sorry but I have to do this from my time previously on the boards. The thing that got on my wick the most about star wars fans were how much they took GL words as gospel even though he lied to them on many times.

    I got into arguments about how it is "possible" for a sequel trilogy due to never say never yet I got bombarded by people who quoted many GL quotes saying that there would never be an episode 7 etc.

    So this post is purely to state that the impossible might just be possible. If you were one of these people then please come here to eat some humble pie...
  2. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Nov 21, 2002
    star 8
    I bet they're having a lot of sex.
  3. darth_mccartney Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 3, 2008
    star 2
    To be fair I thought it would NEVER happen. EVER! But meh, I don't mind being wrong lol
  4. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 8, 2012
    star 4
    Not with me she isn't ;)

    The aul' doll hates being wrong and is in a right mood.

    Anyways finding out there was a new trilogy was kind of like sex anyway :)
  5. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 8, 2012
    star 4
    No wait... I didn't mean that I ... You know!!!

    Cos I didn't...!!!

    Aw he'll... Yes I did...!!! :p
  6. Vespasian Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 1, 2012
    star 1
    Yeah, I thought the Sequel Trilogy would never happen. I said so in these forums, yes. George Lucas said it to reporters. I expected new Star Wars films down the road (like the Clone Wars animated movie), but a continuation? Nope.

    BUT: I'm happy to be proven wrong! Would I eat humble pie? Yes. (just like Shakespeare who ate umble pies, without an 'h' though...)

    Well, I guess you mean specifically the people you argued with, I was not one them, but still

    STAR WARS EPISODE VII, yeyy!!!!
  7. yodasbum Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 4, 2004
    star 2
    I thought that it was over with Sith. Even though domain names where secured during the PT, another film in Clone Wars and Mayhew claiming that he'd signed up for ST trilogy. After the PT , George's explixt instructions not to have a ST and Georges interview earlier this year I didn't expect ST to come out, ever. I would have expected a reboot way more than sequels.

    Is George a liar or the king of misdirection. I would guess that he knew about this deal when he did his interview earlier this year.
  8. Vespasian Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 1, 2012
    star 1
    He is just the king of misdirection and he changes his mind all the time.

    Because technically, he won't do the Sequel Trilogy, others will at Lucasfilm and Disney.
  9. Saurion-Fett Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 3, 2001
    star 4
    I thought he would have to die first.......this is much better
    Bashar likes this.
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 8, 2012
    star 4
    He is neither. He said wouldn't and he isn't.

    He has detailed plot outline and is an advisor, but he is sticking to his word.

    To be honest, there is a lot of talk here of Lucas' toing and froing in the past but when has he ever lied to us.

    I don't think he ever said he'd never make the prequels, only that he couldn't until the technology caught up.
  11. Saurion-Fett Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 3, 2001
    star 4
    Lucus and steve sansweet {spelling} have been known for flip flopping
  12. yodasbum Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 4, 2004
    star 2
    He did say that he didn't want anyone making the sequel trilogy and that he'd left explict instructions with Lfl that even after his death they would not be made.

    In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX'.
    Last edited by yodasbum, Nov 1, 2012
    darklordoftech and Saurion-Fett like this.
  13. captain_trips Jedi Padawan

    Member Since:
    Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing how $4.6 billion can change your mind, isn't it? :)
    yodasbum likes this.
  14. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 8, 2012
    star 4
    Down with that sort of thing.

    Feet should be covered at all times :eek:
  15. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 8, 2012
    star 4
    Well, that blows my statement clean out of the sky.

    Fair enough. ;)
    yodasbum likes this.
  16. Rodimus1980 Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 1, 2009
    You can't blame these people. George Lucas himself said no at one point.
  17. garrwars Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Aug 31, 2011
    star 1
    I'll admit that I never thought that 7,8,&9 would happen. And this is the most exciting news I've heard in my life. And yes I'm having sex but only with my wife.
  18. Lars_Muul Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Oct 2, 2000
    star 6
    trips: More likely, he warmed up to the idea as TCW progressed and he saw how well they were doing without him. He wants Star Wars to live on long after his death and having the ST made is the perfect way to "secure a peaceful transition" ;)
    Money has little to do with it from his perspective.

    I didn't think that this would happen. I did believe, however, that if GL would change his mind, it would be possible to expand on the Saga in a satisfying way.





    Sequels - they satisfy
    /LM
    Last edited by Lars_Muul, Nov 1, 2012
  19. EviL_eLF Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Mar 16, 2003
    star 4
    That was my thought as well...as you said, this is a much better scenario!
  20. JainaSoloYJK Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Aug 27, 2010
    star 4
    *raises hand* Hey, I took they guy at his word. But I guess George underestimated his own love for the story and didn't know at that point he was going to sell.

    As long as it has Luke in some way, shape, or form, I'm happy.
  21. moxlox Jedi Padawan

    Member Since:
    Nov 1, 2012
    [face_dancing]

    Now that made me laugh! [face_laugh]
  22. WhinyLuke Jedi Knight

    Member Since:
    Sep 22, 2012
    star 1
    I think when those people, like myself, said a 7 wouldnt happen they were talking about "Lucas' Star Wars" not "Diseny's Star Wars" every idea, plan, thought changed at the buying
    Chewbacca89 likes this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Nov 19, 2007
    star 6
  24. Lars_Muul Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Oct 2, 2000
    star 6
    It's still Lucas's Star Wars. Disney are the new owners, but Lucasfilm are making the movies.






    Disney - they are the wallet
    /LM
  25. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

    Manager
    Member Since:
    Feb 28, 2003
    star 4
    Well, if you trusted Lucas, it would have appeared that the sequel trilogy wasn't going to happen. Through much of the prequels when he was asked about a sequel trilogy, he backtracked and denied ever having been serious about it and said things like (paraphrased) "I once joked that wouldn't it be fun to come back in a few decades and do sequels when we're all much older, though some took me seriously. It was just a joke that spun out of control." And there was an interview with him in which he explicitly states that he has left directions that there were to be no more features (films) after he was gone (dead/retired?) which would have meant that there was to be no sequel trilogy with or without him.

    Though he's apparently changed his mind, and I think Steve Sansweet (or maybe it was someone else) recently said that they think this change of heart may have in part been a result of Lucas having fun working on The Clone Wars. As for TCW, Lucas himself used to say that he was going to get it started and then step down, though 5 seasons later that's yet to happen and the supervising director, Dave Filoni, even remarked that he'd believe it when he sees it since Lucas remains heavily involved in that show.

    So Lucas changed his mind/Lied/Misdirected.

    From 2008

    TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

    LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

    Fast forward to 2012... SURPRISE!

    So I don't blame people for thinking there wouldn't be a sequel trilogy. Lucas himself said there wouldn't and didn't really leave any room for misinterpretation. He either knew he was going to go ahead with a Sequel Trilogy back in 2008 and has lied to mislead people for 4 years, or he suddenly changed his mind after working on TCW.

    However, having said that, I figured there would be more films after Lucas died and someone else took over. Star Wars is too lucrative to let die like that. What surprises me is the sequels proceeding with Lucas still alive, and that he's on board for them.
    darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.