main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Where is everyone who said "Episode 7 will NOT happen"?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth_Punk, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I knew it would happen since 2008, when they released the Clone Wars in theaters, even though it wasn't a real Star Wars film.

I knew it the announcement was coming in the next few years, though I wasn't expecting it to be in 2012, when they announced the Blu-Ray changes and the 3D re-releases. Was obvious to anyone that they were trying to gear up for cash to make a new trilogy. If their expectations had been met for cash (given we all didn't want to see the 3D re-releases) Episode 7 would probably have been released under 21st Century Fox instead of Disney. No differences in the film besides that.

2. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

The_Kwisatz_Haderach Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2010
    I'm one who thought that the Sequel Trilogy (still can't believe I'm typing that. I assume we're calling it the ST? OT PT and now ST).

I think I just didn't want to get my hopes up for more Star Wars films. I grew up on the OT, but I love the PT too. I'm a fan of the entire Saga. I was in shock (still am) at first and a little nervous, but now I'm just excited. More Star Wars!

darthgator1217 likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    ::raises hand::

Me. I thought it would never happen. The only reason was because Lucas said it would be a 10 year commitment and he didn't want to make that commitment. So now that Lucas won't be involved I'm technically not wrong...from a certain point of view...;)

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm one that said it would never happen (I was actually talking about it a few weeks ago 8-} ) but I've never been more glad to be wrong.

Yes, GL said he was never going to make them, never intended to so most people took that at his word. It's a possibility he said he never intended to because he was tired of people asking and at that time he wasn't going to make them (I guess he still isn't) so it was kinda a moot point. It seems like he got really tired of Star Wars and really wanted to move on to something else but people wouldn't let him.

Now we getting new movies via Disney, and maybe he had the ideas all a long, maybe he didn't... who cares! We get new movies! :D

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I admit, I was wrong about a Sequel trilogy. I don't mind doing that.

But I was still right about Padme dying in ROTS.[face_laugh]

6. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I think the the fact that most people were shocked indicates this was not expected. I never thought there would be more SW movies. I am glad to be wrong about this! The whole thing is still kind of surreal.

7. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I always had a feeling it would happen, just not for quite a number or years.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i didn't think it would happen. the prequels were just bad, and it felt like the energy for star wars was waning. glad to be wrong though.

9. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    i want all of you to admit that my speculation was right and yours was wrong. also: been harboring this animosity for years now

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  10. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I didn't think we'd get to see any major Star Wars live action releases of the G-Canon variety until Lucas was dead and buried. It's a good thing that the hat I'm eating now is made of bacon.

SPACEMONKEY20 likes this.
  11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I was not one of those people. I always take George Lucas at his word, but any person's word is only what they think in that moment in time. If you asked me let's say 2 years a go what I thought about marriage, I would say absolutely not, never, no thank you. Never going to happen. But, then I met the perfect girl. Lucas could have thought he would never want more Star Wars, but then realized there were good reasons to continue the saga in film form. Who knows?

I called it differently, and was wrong, but my opinion was that Lucas would go off and do his passion projects like Red Tails and whatever other little movies he wanted to do, then he would yearn for the spotlight again and return to his life's work, Star Wars, in an effort to recapture that feeling of power and success that I think anyone craves. That was the way I had it playing out. But if not that, then I figured it would happen one day after he died, because someone would get ahold of the rights and roll with it.

This, I have to say, qualifies as a shock. Not that it is happening, but that it's happening right now, so soon, like I can't get over that on October 29, Star Wars was over in feature film format, it was a franchise thats glory days would remain in the past. Not to say it would ever "die," it would have always been around, selling toys, making new fans happy, old fans, etc. Then, suddenly on October 30... we are in a new countdown to another Star Wars film, sure to be one of the biggest hits of all time. Crazy.

12. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    When he said he intended to do 12 movies, then 9, then 12, then 6, and then claimed it had always been six movies, the Anakin Skywalker story. All lies. I'm not angry at him for lying, but he most certainly has lied, or at least bent the truth in the past.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think Lucas could feel his own mortality, knew he could never personally make VII-IX and didn't want someone else to come in after his death and bastardise his vision.

I knew the line that "There is no story for sequels" was BS, since the press release for ROTJ's release specifies that it is Episode VI in the nine-film saga--in other words, even after he'd killed off Vader and Palpatine, Lucas still saw the OT as the middle trilogy, not the second half of a two-act drama. However, as his life circumstances changed, he retconned the saga to be "The tragedy of Darth Vader" just so he wasn't left with an incomplete story, knowing he could never make all nine films.

As someone else said, I think TCW changed all that. Lucas saw a middle-ground between "I have to do all the heavy lifting" and "Someone else will screw things up". This is essentially a return to the ESB model of making new SW, and I think it's telling that Lucas referenced ESB's production in his video with Kathleen Kennedy and Lynne Hale when he said how glad he'll be not to be out in the snow.

I'd had inklings that maybe Filoni or someone similar would be Lucas' protege for an ongoing SW universe. However, given how vocal Lucas had been about SW always being six films (despite everyone knowing it was a retcon), I seriously never expected to see VII-IX.

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I know Lucas always lies, but the main reason I never thought 7-9 would ever, ever, EVER happen was because they really don't need to, narratively. Episode 1-3 needed to happen just so that the video collection wouldn't look incomplete. But no need to tack on a 7-9. In my defense, however, I never chided anyone who thought it was possible. I kept my conviction that it wouldn't happen, like sex, mainly to myself.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I stand by what I've said about Eps VII-IX not ever happening, because I don't believe these new films will be what GL vaguely had in mind back in the 1970s & 80s. GL downplayed their existence for so long because a) he really didn't want to do them; and b) he'd begun writing them out of existence since ROTJ.

I also always believed there would be more SW movies anyway, just that they'd be something different, & most likely someone else's vision - which is what the new films are almost definitely going to be. Despite the working title of 'Episode 7', it's not completely certain that the film released in 2015 will bear the title of "Star Wars Episode VII: ########".

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't think it would ever happen. I knew there would be more films but figured GL would never give up control and that he would never make the ST himself. So I thought it wouldn't happen until far in the future when he was dead. And then it would have been a reboot, not the ST.

In fairness, this might have been how it played out had Red Tails not totally broken his spirit.

17. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    To be fair guys, making the six nearly destroyed him mentally and physically.

It gets that into every detail.

18. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Is it possible he planned on doing the ST all along, and simply dismissed it to fans while putting it away for a rainy day. Then he could wait till the hype started to die down again from the last trilogy and bring out the ST to reel us in again. Just a thought...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.