main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by jedi5150, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    I have noticed lately that there is a huge lack of activity on this board...2 or 3 of us are fairly active, but where is everyone else? There are some members that only seem to post when certain films come out, and others that don't seem to post at all, unless it's completely off-topic and not club-related...
    Where are you all?????

2. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I think that everyone is to busy posting on the Alpine Garrison, and forgot about us.

3. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    well, I just came from there and nope, nobody really posting over there except me and Barry....

4. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I hate to sound like a dink, and I know I can't speak for everybody, but I haven't been posting a lot lately because I'm not too enthused about where the club is headed. It seems the focus has become a little too myopic. For the last year, all that seems to come out in club meetings and stuff is how we all need to get costumes. Don't get me wrong, I loved the lightsaber building get-together we did last year and I do think we need to do another one. But I really don't feel like throwing even forty or fifty bucks into a costume I'm only gonna wear a couple times a year. I really don't feel like I need to dressed like someone from the movies and parade around in front of the masses to prove I'm a fan. And to suggest that is baffling. There are so many other facets of fandom that are being overlooked right now in the club. We even rarely talk about the movies any more it seems. I know there is much interest from other clubmembers in costuming, and part of the problem is that some of us are too shy or whatever to suggest anything else. The hardest part is not wanting to be around the folks I care about 'cause I don't have any interest in what they're doing.

I apologize if this post pisses anybody off, but this is how I've been feeling about things the last few months. Hopefully, being honest will be helpful. I you want, you can always take me up to canyon creek bridge and throw me off...

5. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I agree with you there man. It is cool that people are interested in making costumes, because you need those for movies, right? I do think that since we decided not to do the filmfest, that the movies have been put on the back burner, and they shouldn't be.

I think at the next meeting we really need to talk about making a movie.

Just the opinion of a stupid girl who really doesn't know much.

and adam, you aren't getting off so easy, so no bridges for you buddy.

6. BithLord42

BithLord42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    Hmmm, well, I can see the complaint that the club has become rather costume oriented of late, and I understand the frustration to some point, 'cause I myself used to think "ah man, costumes are good for Halloween, but I'll look like a dork if I do it at other times"
    But I think the reason we've talked about costuming so much recently is it's "something." You know, what makes a club a club? Fans can sit around and "talk" about the movies and that's great, but it seems to me that for a club to be a club there's gotta' be something more, there has to be useful activities. Right, we don't wanna' just sit right, we wanna do stuff? And we've done some fun stuff, the camp trip, and the upcoming bar-b-q the 4th of July, and all that. Fan-Films are a great way to do stuff, too, but it seems that a lot of us who are usually involved in those endeavors are kinda' burnt out from the last one right, and a couple of us are involved in the production of a non-SW film. So, what else is there? Prop building, which kinda' goes hand-in-hand with costuming.
    I think the thing is this. Those who are so crazy about the costuming aren't trying to push it on the rest of us like some sort of "do this or you're not a true fan" type of thing. They're just trying to come up with fun activities for us to enjoy. To keep us from just sitting around talking about the movies.
    It's been said before that all the other cool activities really benefit from costuming. If we've got costumes we can do films, we can do cool charity work, we can help out at cons. I was at the autograph expo, and lemme tell ya' the people in regular clothes got to meet the celebs and shake their hands. The 501st guys and other costumed participants, basically hung out with the celebs, I myself was a little shy of them, but several of the others stood near them and had long conversations.
    The point is, I think you're right, costuming shouldn't tbe the main and only focus of the club, but there is a sufficient amount of us that are interested and sufficient reason why it should be a focus. I guess maybe some of us (myself included) need to get over our shyness and bring up stuff we wanna' do. Suggest other cool ideas.
    But yeah, I'd love to hear other ideas, I wish I had some of my own. I do want to get my costume done by Halloween or the Jeremy Bulloch thing whichever comes first, but I'd like to do some new stuff too. By the way, when we gonna' get a club group together to play LASER TAG!
    Anyhow, talk to you later, the club rules, the Commandos Rock! have fun, force be with ya', be excellent to each other, yadda yadda yadda yoda

Ryan

7. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Now this is good. Feedback!

I must agree that the meetings have become stale. I don't really WANT to talk about costuming every month, but trying to fill the time, sometimes that's it.

I find it interesting that in this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Idaho_Falls,_ID/b10055/16487085/

I asked for ideas for more club activities.

In this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Idaho_Falls,_ID/b10055/16487085/

We asked for agenda items for the July meeting

In this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Idaho_Falls,_ID/b10055/16092167/

Erin asked for agenda items for the June meeting

In this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Idaho_Falls,_ID/b10055/15814898/

Erin asked for agenda items for the May meeting

And no one besides Erik, Erin, and myself has posted anything in any of the meeting agenda threads. This forum is supposed to be for running the club, planning activities, getting to know each other, etc. So I suggest we use it. Fanforce is gracious enough to let us have it, we should take advantage of that. Ryan's right, If you have an idea for something to do, POST IT! I don't have a problem with anything that's been posted here, the movie reviews are cool, planning movie outings is cool, it's all good. But in addition to posting that fun and cool stuff, I invite you to use this forum for it's intended purpose. This club is a democracy, and it will go wherever the members want it and take it...if y'all want to start playing the RPG or whatever, just speak up! PLEASE! Adam mentioned other areas of fandom that are being overlooked. Then post them and let's talk about it. But I want to be involved in a club that DOES THINGS, not just sits around and talks about things. We can only sit around and talk about the same 10 hours of film for so long. But if you don't speak up, we can't read your mind.

This month, I suggest that other members (besides myself, Erin, and Erik) write the agenda. post the items you want to do/talk about, and we'll do it. Perhaps that way the "myopic" focus of the club will change....To make it easy for everyone, I've started the thread at

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16512037

Oh and on the subject of costuming. It is apparent to me that the MAJORITY of the members ARE interested in costuming. In fact, at least 11 have costumes or are working on them. There are only 3 or 4 members I can think of that may not be interested in costuming. Based on that information, I assumed that the majority of the club LIKES to talk about costuming and is interested in it. I'll be honest, I think that when it comes time for Episode III, the ONLY WAY we may be able to do something cool AS A CLUB IN COOPERATION WITH THE THEATER is if we have several GOOD, SCREEN-QUALITY costumes. And if we do indeed pull something off with the theater, I would imagine that it will work the way the events that the Alpine Garrison participates in work: Those that costume and participate get the perks, those that do not participate, don't. Now I have no idea if there would be any perks and what those might be, but it'd be nice to get them if there are some...I don't want to force anyone to costume, I just would hate to see somebody miss out on something...
    If you could attend a costumed event and see the way the public react to QUALITY Star Wars costumes, you may gain an interest...

One last thing: I invite you all to visit the Alpine Garrison boards at

http://www.alpinegarrison.com/boards

Just to see what it's like. Honestly, the MAJORITY of conversations there are NOT about costuming, but just "shoot-the-breeze" type stuff. Like the "get-to-know-you" thread I started here (in which only 4 people have posted).

8. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    A couple of quick points:

- Maybe we should elect some new comittee chairmen. In addition to bringing back the newsletter (still a very cool idea), maybe we could get some folks to set stuff for costuming, road trips, ect. to set up seperate meetings outside the main monthly thing. That way only those who want to be involved have to listen to it.

- I think as a club, we all could probably get more involved with stuff like comics, books, games, ect. I know that they eat up lots of time, but it would give us more things to talk about than just costuming and the movies.

Finally, I know that Doug, Erik, and the rest of the brass are tired of feeling like they're the only folks in the club with any sort of vision. Maybe what needs to happen is that people might have to be assigned to come up with things to talk about and do at the meetings and stuff. At least, it might make less vociferous folks step up and do something.

Just a couple ideas...

9. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Adam said "I think as a club, we all could probably get more involved with stuff like comics, books, games, ect. I know that they eat up lots of time, but it would give us more things to talk about than just costuming and the movies. "

And I agree...but...just a side point...these other areas do take up a lot of time, just as Adam said. And I think that this may be part of the issue: There are SO MANY areas of fandom, and they can all be time-consuming, and so many of us are into different areas, and that's where each of us chooses to spend our free time...that it could be tough. I don't have time to read the books, I've NEVER been into comics (of any sort) really, and I've played a couple of the video games. But as you are all well (probably too much) aware, I like to spend my free time on costumes and props, just as Erik has read EVERY NJO book, etc etc etc...

For instance, if you break down some of the BIG areas of SW fandom, and list who we know in the club is into those areas, here's an idea of how it might break down (partially):

Comics: Ryan, Adam, Erik, (anybody else?)
    Books: Erik (I like them but don't have time)
    Movies themselves: All of us, right? ;)
    Costuming: Doug, Mike, Barry (agressively) and others
    Collecting toys etc: Actively? Erik, Adam?, maybe Jessica?
    Writing fan-fiction: Anybody?
    Fan-films: Adam, Erik, Ryan, Doug, Barry, others, although many are either burned-out from Reepo or want to make a non-sw film...which may alienate/discourage others from participating...

I think maybe having little "micro-meetings" for a few of the areas may work, but then again, it may be like the Department of Justice trying to break up Microsoft....

10. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    See, look at this! Isn't the exchange of ideas a wonderful thing?!

11. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah, it's too bad that it takes a near uproar to get some ideas flowing...

I just wanted to say one more thing about costuming. Costuming is NOT "parading around in front of people". When a group of QUALITY Star Wars costumers appear at an event, those costumers are no longer just fans. To the people attending the event, those people in costume BECOME Star Wars. They make it real for the fans. It's not about proving you're a better or bigger fan, it's not about living out a fantasy, it's about bringing a smile to children's faces..both young and young at heart...you make it personal for them. Little kids are fascinated, adults are awed. If you could have seen the reactions of the people along the Preston parade route last year, or the reactions of the people at the Ray Park/Daniel Logan event, perhaps you would better understand.

And on top of all of that, it draws attention (including the media) to the group, which in turn could mean more members...

I guess the way I see it is this: We can all meet once a month, sit in a room, and talk about Star Wars, then go home, or we can try to DO SOMETHING....we are a Star Wars fanclub, a FANFORCE chapter, we're supposed to be the uber-fans....we need to do something to find the other uber-fans out there and let them know that we're as big of geeks as they are and that they can join us....if not costuming fine, but we need to do SOMETHING!

12. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    My first extrordinary experience with the Garrison was at a Salt Lake MCds after an event, and the topic was: "Ok, where can we dress up next?"

The "dork" label is nonexistent. The Garrison was treated like walking gods at Borders to meet Tim Zahn and like SW incarnate at the Ray Park and 4th Parade. When you are in a costume, you ARE Star Wars. Now is it the best way to express fandom? Arguable yes or no, but is definately the most adrenlene rush. In a costume, you are anomynous. Nobody cares who you are, so we can get away with anything.

Now we certainly do not have to harp costumes all meeting every meeting, it jsut happens to be the most visual and direct expression of fandom. Fanfilms, I would personally love to make a film as a group. If burn-out exists, we just have to take it slower this time. Reepo was a year ago, we can pull ourselves up by now. I have a quantum Leap thing in production that members have graciously helped me with.

Now put me down on the COMICS list, as I have the complete run of Marvel SW from 1977-1986.

My quick fix to get everyone talking again? More house parties. We meet a guys house, EVERYBODIES house in rotation and just do what comes naturally, watch movies. Fanfilms, private collection of obscure sci fi shows (I have Buck Rogers and the Droids Cartoon, and I recently loaned DOug my copy of the Bigfoot episode of the Six million DOllar man).

We get to show off our houses, our SW collections (I collect classic sci fi novels that inspired Lucas, Eric has action figures, etc). Messy house SHmessy house. We are all slobs, nobody is going to judge anyone here.

So, who has obscure sci fi shows on tape?

13. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I'm really glad this dialog has come up. I have felt discouraged in a way the last six months, almost to apathy. I felt like when I came to the meeting with Star Wars news people just either didn't care or didn't want to hear it. I think the challenge of a general purpose Star Wars club is that because there are so many facets of being a fan everyone isn't interested in everything. I think one of my problems has been what I consider to not be a spoiler many see as a spoiler. Some of it is just common sense, but I hope people aren't so sensitive we can't even talk about the new movie in general terms. Part of the fun at least for me is speculation. I think it would be good to have a discussion about this issue at a meeting just so we all know we are on the same page. I don't want to tell people things they do't want to hear but on the other hand there are things we all know happen in the movie, i.e. Anakin becoming Darth Vader.I think discussion about what we think might happen, what we hope happens, new filmmaking techniques we hear about are entirely ok to discuss.
    There are certain aspects of Star Wars that not all of us are interested in. It's just how it is. True fans love the movies the rest of it is fun but secondary. I don't think any of us have anything to prove to anyone, but I sure expect some enthuisiam as far as what is going on right now.
    The next year for the club is going to be an exciting time. Revenge of the Sith is just around the corner. It is arguably the most important Star Wars movie out of all six them. The OT DVD's are almost here. Not only will it be exciting to see them on a new format, but there is plenty of controversy with this release because the films have been altered yet again. The stuff that happened at Comic-Con last weekend has me conviced this is probably the most exciting time to be a fan and it will likely get no better than the next year. So let's make it count.

P.S. Hey Barry, I have every episode of V on DVD. That might be fun.

14. LoneTrooper

LoneTrooper Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2004
    And from the new guy....
    I just wanted to say, that I have had a blast since joining this group a few months ago. Its great to meet new people with alot of different interests.
    Just talking to some of the guys at the campsite about comics and movies was priceless.
    Talking with Doug and Barry inspired me to work on my costume.
    Going to see Riddick with the gang after the monthly meeting is something I havent done in years.
    Being with a group that loves Star Wars has reopened the gates of fun and inspiration that had been closed for a long time.
    I look forward to being a part of the group as we look into doing some Charity work and hopefully working with some of the stores for the DVD release in September. And working with one of the Cinemas for Episode III.
    If I can think of something new for the group, I will definately help out all that I can.
    Later...

15. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    On micro-meetings: It would be a good way to see who is really interested in what you're doing, and who's just paying lip service...

Mike kinda put me in my place. The reason I'm in this club is not so I can whine about what other people are doing. I remember having that kind of enthusiam back in the day (especailly when we were makin' flicks). I guess what we really have to do is find a way to re-light that fire in some of our membership (like myself). Thanks for posting that Mike, it really kinda changed my prespective.

BTW, I do know how the public responds to Star Wars costumes, ect. Erik and I hauled Gonk all over Comi-con and people freaked. Even Steve Sansweet was impressed!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.