main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where is Indy 4 on Spielberg's schedule?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    There was a Reuter's story that went out today announcing that Spielberg will start shooting a
    movie in June based on the 1972 Munich Olympics
    tragedy in which 11 Israeli athletes were killed by Palestinian terrorists.

Ben Kingsley will be in the cast.

At the end of the story the article talked
    about Spielberg's upcoming directing schedule:

After finishing the Munich Olympics film, Spielberg plans to direct a project titled The Rivals, followed by a big-screen adaptation of H G Wells' alien invasion tale War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise, Daily Variety reported.

Where's Indy?

2. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    I'm sure Spielberg will make time when he and GL get a script they both like and set aside specific shooting dates. Prior to that he can go about his business.

3. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Yeah, but THREE feature films is a LOT of business.

And Harrison's not getting any younger.

4. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    It's supposed to be released in 2006.

GL has EPIII right now as we now

SS has Jurassic Park 4.

Too busy but afterwards they'll work on it.

5. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I doubt Spielberg will be directing the Jurassic Park films anymore. He gave up the reigns for number 3, he's probably moved on.

He needs to do one of two things. First of all, Lucas doesn't direct the Indy movies, and he's devoted to Star Wars. He should convince Lucas to give up script approval. Spielberg and Ford both like the script, the only thing holding things up is that Lucas keep vetoing it. If he keeps doing this, it either will never happen, or Ford will be too old. They've been working on this since River Phoenix died. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel, and simply announce that this project will never happen. The prequels never teased us like this. Once it was announced that the long-awaited prequels were on the way, things were on the fast track. This has taken too long.

6. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Spielberg and Ford both like the script, the only thing holding things up is that Lucas keep vetoing it.

And his writing is just oh so superb isn't it.

If he keeps doing this, it either will never happen, or Ford will be too old.

Maybe that's what George is hoping for :p.

This is not meant as a troll. I seriously think given the quality of writing in the Star Wars prequels that George should have no say in the script for Indy 4. Either that, or make it a majority opinion. As you said, both SS and Ford liked the script. George should be happy with that and let the ball get rolling.

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    No Spielberg won't direct JP4.

Yeah, but THREE feature films is a LOT of business.

But it remains to be seen what he chooses to do and when. One of the most interesting moments in Hollywood the last few years is when Spielberg was trying to decide if he wanted to direct the firts Hary Potter film. Lots of studios were pitching high profile directors but Mr. S. had first dibs (I believe Rowling liked him for first choice). He then passed and the frenzy began.

But around that time Spielberg was developing a few other projects like A.I. (which he did), Memoirs of a Geisha and a Charles Lindbergh film, the latter two never materialized (though I heard there might still be interest, at least as a producer).

Sometimes projects take long times to develop as Indy 4. The Munich 1972 and/or War of the Worlds could hit a snag and be further postponed.

The good thing is that Spielberg always announces when he is ogoing to shoot something for sure, and it always make headlines in Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. Indy 4 is quite a bit developed which is an advantage over the other 2 projects.

8. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    George Lucas is the creator, owner and executive producer of Indiana Jones, and if he doesn't think the script is up to scratch, then why should he OK it?

I do think they should have made Indy 4 years ago, though. There's so much potential with the character that surely they could have come up with a good script they all liked before now.

9. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    George Lucas is the creator, owner and executive producer of Indiana Jones, and if he doesn't think the script is up to scratch, then why should he OK it?

Because the Director and star actor think it's great.

10. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000

Because the Director and star actor think it's great.

And because with two of the previous ones (Temple of Doom excepted, which even Spielberg admits wasn't as good), Lucas let Spielberg decide the direction the story would take. He trusted Spielberg to hire Lawrence Kasdan (his SW turn came later, as a result) and let Spielberg decide the premise of the last film (Holy Grail and father/son story), when Lucas wanted to make a haunted house movie, and those turned out to be the best. All Lucas came up with was the character himself. Spielberg isn't the type of director Lucas can push around like Kershner or Marquand. The Indy films are at their best when Spielberg is truly allowed to call the shots.

11. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, remember that Spielburg likes to make 2 movies a year. So if he has 3 films on his slate now, add Indy 4 and that's only 2 years of work for him. Besides, Spielburg hates editing in digital. There was already a report that he would defer to Lucas on this one movie and shoot HD (and then go right back to film). If it's being shot digitally, it would have to be edited digitally as well. So I can see Spielburg wrapping up priciple photography, and then basically turning turning the whole thing over to Lucas (the editing room is Lucas's favorite domain, anyway) and just checking in from time to time. I get the feeling that all three of them are doing this project more or less for fun and not taking it too seriously.

12. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    I get the feeling that all three of them are doing this project more or less for fun and not taking it too seriously.

That also seems to mean they're not too serious about getting the movie made.

13. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    I think you're probably right. If Spielburg, Lucas, and Ford go to their grave never touching the Indy franchise again, I doubt they'd consider their lives incomplete.

14. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    At least Lucas has A) followed through on his promise to make prequels--which have been at least implied ever since ESB featured "Episode V" in its title, and B) has directly told us that there will be no sequel trilogy, even though some people refuse to believe it.

15. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Personally, I have the feeling Ford is the one who wants Indy 4 to be made the most.

16. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    No kidding. Of all the people involved, he needs it the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.