main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where is Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ClonedEmperor, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Force storm wormhole? ;)

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

You need a glove to access them, though. [face_talk_hand]

3. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    For those who say that Mustafar is not in the Outer Rim, you really should check with canon sources.

General Grievous: I am sending you to the Mustafar system in the Outer Rim. (Revenge of the Sith)

And just in case:

General Grievous: I am sending you to the Mustafar system in the Outer Rim. (Reversal of Fortune, strip 116)

"Located in the Outer Rim, the tiny planet of Mustafar is a fiery world where lava is mined like a precious natural resource." (sw databank)

4. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    Trying to plot out Mustafar's location by travel time is probably a moot point. Palpatine's shuttle, much like the Millenium Falcon, is equiped with a hyperdrive powered by Punworrca Light Omniboost Turbo device.

:p

In all seriousness, I assume that Sidious v Yoda occured hours before Anakin got crispified. Also, if we ignore the account of Sidious' arrival in the novelization (blasphemy!), then it could be that Anakin had been there for several hours. The sustained excurtiating pain would lead to some of the intense psychological damage we see in Vader.

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Incredibly, I actually agree with President_Sharky on this one. It's definitely in the Rim but...where? [face_thinking]

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>You need a glove to access them, though. [talk_hand] <<

lol

>>In all seriousness, I assume that Sidious v Yoda occured hours before Anakin got crispified.<<

Read my earlier posts, that's unfortunately impossible.

8. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Somehow, Excellence communicates so much more by saying nothing at all...;)

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I should go into the XXX phone lines. They'd be wondering what a sithful of Naga Sadow has to do with anything.

10. kever20

kever20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2004
    I figured it bordered Wild Space, for some reason. It seems out of the way and all of that, and it doesn't seem like Mustafar was a very large tourist attraction (holds for laughter). I don't know... It seemed that most of the battles of the Clone Wars happened out Mid Rim and in the Far Rim.

/kevin miller

11. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Speaking of that, when someone says "beyond the Outer Rim", does that mean it is definitely out of the area defined as the Outer Rim and into either Wild Space or the Unknown Regions? Looking at Carty's map, Kamino isn't exactly way out there, but still within the confines of the galaxy, unless -- our perspective is different. Note that galaxies are not just flat discs but that they have width, at least thousands of light years in some areas. Maybe it only looks like it is still within the galaxy but out of the galactic plane. That would also make it possible for the Rishi Maze to exist below the plane of the galaxy without taking up any actual space in it. Has anyone looked into this?

12. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    The SWG map will reveal its location. Accurately i hope.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005
    Does ANYBODY listen to me? What's wrong with assuming it's on the Rim right across from Coruscant? Then it stays on the Outer Rim but is easily accessible to the capital planet. Palpatine may even have PLANNED it that way, to get Vader to kill the Seppies ASAP.

Palpatine's shuttle is prrobably quite fast (don't have the ICS with me at the moment), but hyperdrive in general is just unbelievably fast. Admiral Piett seems to think the Falcon can make it to the other side of the galaxy in not much more than an hour. The Falcon's fast all right, but even if a slower ship doubles or quadruples the time that's not very long. And if Mustafar is a pretty straight shot from Coruscant, such a travel time is reasonable. The novel is not expressly contradicted by the film as I recall, which means officially Obi-Wan WAS able to notice the shuttle arriving. Which only makes sense, because Vader could NOT have stayed alive for long.

14. wookieepedian1

May 24, 2005
    ROTS:ICS puts the hyperdrive class of the shuttle at Class 1 with a range of 8,000 light years

15. President_Sharky

Jan 18, 2004
    Maybe Palpatine hitched a ride with a fast warship to Mustafar. We never actually see the Theta-class shuttle jump into or out of hyperspace, so it's possible that a ship with an extremely efficient hyperdrive (like a yacht or Star Destroyer) made the trip for Palps.

"Beyond the Outer Rim" indeed means that it's beyond the edge of the galaxy. Kamino is actually located beyond the galactic disk, near the edge of the Rishi Maze, a dwarf galaxy in a decaying orbit around the main galaxy. Kamino is actually in Wild Space, which is basically explored space located beyond the borders of the Galactic Republic/Empire. The Unknown Regions are a little bit farther out. According to Dexter, the Subterrel sector is also located "beyond the Outer Rim", thus giving us a hint as to where exactly Polis Massa may be located.

16. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    That's what I thought, probably several thousand parsecs northwest from Koornacht?

17. wookieepedian1

May 24, 2005
    And has the Rishi Maze itself been charted on the map? Do we know how large it is or where its located in relation to the galactic plane (I'm thinking below the plane)?

Also you might have seen I've tryed narrowing down Polis Massa to that area of the galaxy, but others are saying that its closer to Chiss Territory.

18. President_Sharky

Jan 18, 2004
    Watch the Jedi Archives scene in AOTC. When Obi-Wan points to Kamino's location, he says it's just south of the Rishi Maze, and he points to a dwarf galaxy that's close to the main one.

19. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Hang on...

Could "Outer Rim" mean highest or lowest layers on the z-axis (vertical)? [face_thinking] Doesn't seem likely geographically, but possible ?

20. wookieepedian1

May 24, 2005
    It is safe to assume that "south" means down, going below the galactic plane?

Also this scene makes it sound like Kamino is actually a part of that satellite galaxy, rather than the main SW galaxy. Should we have to create something in 3-D to understand what's going on here?

21. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Inside the Worlds of Attack of the Clones also shows Kamino off the galactic plane, and does state that it's in a smaller dwarf galaxy.

22. wookieepedian1

May 24, 2005
    I understand that its not in the galaxy technically, but in the dwarf galaxy, however what I really don't get is how they discuss direction in a 3-dimensional galactic environment. Is south down below the plane vertically, or is south down on a map seen from above, pointing to that area of the galaxy away from the plane horizontally (rimward?), or is south.. see this is where it gets confusing. Here's a link to a quick image I made demonstrating my point, if any. Note: not to scale.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2664/rishimaze4gp.gif

We really need someone with an understanding of galactic coordinates and directions.

23. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Hmm. I would assume "Galactic South" means the bottom end of the 2-d plane, near Geonosis. But I guess I have nothing to base that on, just other fiction and stuff. This whole 3-D stuff makes it a lot harder to figure this stuff out. I think the idea that it's on a main hyperlane makes sense; if we can't figure something out using 2 or 3 dimensions, remember there's four.

Edit: The space strategy game Master of Orion 3 had 3-D maps. Here's a screenshot.
    IMHO, if they made a fun Star Wars galactic strategy game, it would be the greatest thing in existence.

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    please do me a favor... do not delve into 3D! it might be that way, yes. sure.. but explanation in books and official maps usually arn´t 3D so we´d run into more troubles than advantages and work around what the original official statements intented. also lots of existing placements would have to be reconsidered.

25. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Does it matter? Above or below, we know it's near the Rishi Maze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.