main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where is R-3PO (the Red Protocol Droid) seen in "The Empire Strikes Back"?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Blur, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I recently bought the Star Wars action figure "R-3PO", the red protocol droid. This character is supposedly from the Hoth sequence in "The Empire Strikes Back", yet I never remember seeing this droid in the film. The only protocol droid I remember from Hoth (other than C-3PO) is the white protocol droid that was hanging around Echo Base.

Did I miss something?

2. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes, it is there, but it is pretty hard to find. in fact, I 'm pretty sure that R-3p0 was added later in the special edition of ESB, but I could, of course, be wrong about that. Heres a link to a picture of R-3po. Hes kinda far off in the distance, so you might have just missed him. Hope that helps ya.

http://decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/hoth/light/large/r3p0arthreepio.html

-Jace

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Thanks for the link. That CCG card is cool, but I think that this picture of R3PO was designed just for this card, and wasn't taken from the film itself. Some of the characters on the CCG cards are made (using CGI/Computers, I think) specifically for the cards themselves.

I'll have to look for R3PO the next time I see ESB.

4. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    The photo of "R-3PO" on the card is actually TC-3, a red droid with silver trim seen in Palpatine's office in Episode I, or would have been, had he made the final cut. Footage of the droid on the set can be seen in "The Beginning" documentary on the Episode I DVD. A small pic can also be seen in the Episode I visual dictionary.

R-3PO can be seen in some photos from Echo Base in Steve Sansweet's Star Wars: the Action Figure Archive.

5. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    He made his mark before he left Echo Base. 8-}

[image=http://www.picpatrol.com/images/R3PO_throwup.jpg]

I've never seen the figure, but I keep wanting to think I've seen him in the movie...

I might take my ESB tape out of storage & check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.