main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where not only fat ladies sing (the JC opera fan club)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Obi Anne , Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Do you like opera, and why? Which is your favourite opera/composer/singer/director?

Do you think that opera has a future in todays world of music?

Personally I love the Magic Flute, and in general I prefer Mozart and Verdi, well, I'm looking forward to a lot of discussions. :)

2. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I have been in opera only once but that was absolutely fabulous experience. My parents are big opera fans and we listened operas often home. But I didn't really like those (especially I dislike most sopranos). So my parents had wanted to civilize me for a long time but I had always refused to go to opera. But my parents finally figured out how to get me into opera: they bought me two tickets to Puccini's Tosca. And of course now I had fine excuse to ask one nice girl to opera with me. That evening was really one of the most memorable evenings I've ever had. And not only because I really loved that opera.

So I could say Puccini is my favourite opera composer and Tosca is my favourite opera. Especially Cavaradossi has some great moments (if that tenor is any good). I have listened many other opera's (or at least some parts) from CD but that's nothing compared to live opera.

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    You are right, there is nothing like going to a live opera. I like Tosca too, I just get so anoyed that they don't just flee away instead of doing the mock execution, and then of course I cry a lot in the end.

I think the reason why it's harder to really lika soprano is because most time when they sing they sound a bit edgy, male voices are often more soft for some reason.

4. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I just looooove opera. My favorite, though, is a rather odd one -- Bernstein's Candide. It's hilarious. I love it. But I'm also a huge fan of Susanna, Aida, Faust, and Carmen.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Aida is very good, I've seen it three times, two times in a roman theatre in Verona, that was soooooo cool. My favourite Verdi though is Nabucco, I think that the music and the plot is a bit better, I also like happy endings.

6. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    I love Puccini and Wagner.

Who are some of your favourite singers? I really like Denyce Graves. She's just amazing. Renee Fleming is excellent as well.

7. Adakin

Adakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    Obi Anne I love the Magic Flute!

I honestly believe that Tamino seeing a picture of Pamina & instantly falling in love with her is on e of the most romantic things on the planet!

"I cannot name this new desire,
    Burning, freezing, with one fire.
    Can these be pangs of love I feel?
    If so, it is to love I yield!"

That is just soooo amazing!

Doesn't matter how many times I hear the Queen of The Night swear her revenge I could never get sick of it.

Have you seen Ingmar Bergmans film?
    You must hunt it down if you haven't!

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have two versions of the Bergman, it was the first time ever I saw an opera when they aired it on tv when I was 4, I was hooked. 15 years later when they aired it again I had to tape it again, since the old copy was so bad due to the fact that I had watched it too many times. I think that my favourite scene is in the end when you first see Sarastro and his followers sing, and then when the two guardians come it's so dark and beautiful. The only critic I have against it is that he cut away some of the music, especially the trio between Sarastro, Tamino and Pamina, on the other hand I can see why it wouldn't fit in to his version.

I didn't think that you could get hold of that one outside Sweden, since it is sung in Swedish.

And my favourite singer is Bryn Terfel, he has such a remarkable voice, I'm so happy that I've been able to go to two of his concerts.

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I really enjoy opera, but dont ask me to start tossing outnames or anything.

I've never actually been to one...there arent many good producationsthat come down to Australia, and when they do, they are always really expensive.

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, I don't know where you live, but I thought Sidney had some really good productions, they have to have something in that famous house.

11. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Get this! I'm going to be in the Waco Lyric Opera's La Boheme this fall! So I would have to say my favorite play would be La Boheme and fav writer would be Puccini :p

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    What are you going to do?

13. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm a street urchin. In other words, A homeless kid who lives on the streets

14. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, Sydney has our own Opera company, but I wouldnt trust them to be anything particularly special or worth watching.

Every few years, we get a big production like Aida or something, but its usually really expensive.

There really isnt that much here, if you want to watch good quality opera.

15. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Yay, an opera thread!

*ahem* I actually spent the previous year of my college career as a vocal performance major, and I was going to be in opera - then I decided that it really wasn't the life I wanted, but that's beside the point. I adore opera.

My favorite, by far, is Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro - brilliant mix of humor and romance, and I love the arias and character interactions. :)

Mel

16. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Does anyone here know Monteverdi's Orfeo? It has the coolest song for basso profundo EVER!!! When Charon greets Orfeo at the entrance to Hades, he sings so low it's amazing. *swoons*

Then, of course, the best entrance aria ever: Figaro in Rossini's The Barber on Seville.

We get four operas a year here in Salt Lake, all my the "Utah Opera Company." They aren't great, but for a small, realitvley uncultured city like ours, four operas a year is great. Next year they're doing great ones! I can't wait.

Anyone in here love opera history as much as the operas themselves?

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't really know much about opera history, but I guess it's fascinating.

hmmm, maybe I should go an rewatch my Magic Flute videon, haven't seen it in a long time.

I hope that I can go to an opera in August. Have any of you heard about Dalhalla? It's a quarry that they have rebuilt into a giant and wonderful arena, I think it's starting to get quite famous at least in Europe, and they have had some really good artists there, Jose Cura is coming for the second time in the end of June, but I will be away then. Anyway, every August they have an opera festival and it's lovely, but freezing to go there, it's almost the only real opera I go to every year. Dalhalla is just 60 km from where I live, and in my city we don't have any opera at all.

18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Dang, Obi Anne, you beat me to an opera thread. I actually don't watch operas that often, but I just watched part of Nabucco the other night.

And yeah, I've heard of Monteverdi's Orfeo, I think we have a few pieces from that (my Dad has a large, if spotty, classical music collection).

But my favorite opera I think is La Traviata, by Verdi.

19. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Obi Anne have you ever heard about Savonlinna Opera Festival? That's biggest yearly opera festival in Finland. What makes this festival special is that shows are held in a medieval castle (see picture). I have never been in these festivals but my parents go there every year. Check out this official site.

[image=http://savonlinna-eng.instant-esites.net/images/olavinlinna8.jpeg]

20. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Oooh, La Traviata has the best drinking song ever! "Brindisi, libbiamo, libbiamo . . ." *sings raucously*

I don't know much about opera fesitvals/houses. In Utah we don't get much news about Opera in the outside world. ;)

21. RussianCliche

RussianCliche Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    i like massourgsky. i love my waterland.

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Tod I know about Savonlinna, some productions in Dalhalla are cooperations between Savonlinna and Dalhalla. I would love to go there someday.

I have never heard a full Russian opera, the little I've heard get's me to think that it's quite heavy, is that the case?

And here's a link to Dalhalla

23. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    That looks quite fascinating. Where's this Dalhalla? I've never heard about it before.

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's in Sweden, in the region Dalarna outside of Rättvik, about 260 km northwest of Stockholm.

25. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    OK I got it. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.