main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Where shall we have our meeting?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, May 24, 2005.

?

Where shall we meet?

Poll closed May 31, 2005.
  1. Bookman's

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Coffee shop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hardcastle

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
  2. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    If you vote other, please list where. Otherwise, it won't count.

3. President_Scroob

President_Scroob Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 25, 2003
    i say borders at the mall. its like bookmans and it has a coffe shop, and comics. its sheer genius.

SANTA RITA CLASS 05 RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Sure, Borders at da Maul

5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    just checking in to see if we are getting anywhere with our voting. :)

6. Jamesmorbidia

Jamesmorbidia Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    Sadly I contacted Borders and they wont allow a meeting there. They said there isnt enought room and the corprate wont allow any affiliation with any group how ever harmless ours might be. This is usualy the case with most corperate affiliated place.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that is dissapointing, but we can still do it at Bookman's.. we will still have to finish our poll and then set up the meeting.. I can't believe though that Border's said that, at home in Arkansas I set up a weekly chess club meeting at the local Books-a-million.. and they had no problem with it at all.. and they are just as big as Borders. Either way, we have to finish our vote and then set up a time and date for the meeting.. hopefully more people show up at the meeting than have voted so far.. but either way we are moving forward. If you know people in person already please let them know the meeting will be fairly soon now. at least within the next couple of weeks.. I think we should shoot for saturday June, 4th. I will be out of town on Saturday June, 11th. So I am not wanting to have it then, Or I won't be able to be there.. and I want to go.

8. Jamesmorbidia

May 16, 2005
    Well if we decide on Bookman?s then we need a consistent date that is within with one of their room?s availability. Their meeting room is booked years in advance for clubs, from the Society of American Magicians, to needlepoint clubs, to the boy scouts. Its a great place and very clean but very sought after.

Also we might try to get a rough count of how many people are interested to attend. If it is small enough (4-6) then we may just be able to have it at someone?s house at first allowing a start until we can get things more organized an publicized. (I would be willing to possibly be available for that) Just a few ideas from someone who has run a few clubs/groups before.(magicians groups, Anime club, pagan organization, LARPs)

In addition, since things are new and trying to get up and running I would say set the first meeting date a good distance in advance. Like the latter part of June. Many people are out of school and/or planning their summer vacations, Memorial Day celebrations, Etc.
    So there is going to be a bit of confusion, people out of town, other pre-made plans. Also helps those of us that have demanding Jobs plan way in advance as to ensure they can be there.

Just a few suggestions. Just trying to add from experence so theis thing will take off as smoothly as possible.

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    yes, I agree.. but we need to get it planned and set. I also offered my home.. but for some it seems too far a commute, I live in a newer subdivision on the side of A mountain.

10. Jamesmorbidia

May 16, 2005
    Ok on monday I will call Bookman's and see what they have avalable so we can try to get an Idea where we need to go from there. As yoda said " a little more knowledge need us"

11. swiftjustice

swiftjustice Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Heroes and Villians on Broadway wants to host clubs and groups, we had a He-man.org meeting there awhile ago that went great.

12. Jamesmorbidia

May 16, 2005
    oh I completley forgot about them! I'll give them a call on monday too. Thanks for the 411 you rock!

13. nianafett

nianafett Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    Which Bookmans were you guys thinking of?

14. Jamesmorbidia

May 16, 2005
    either..all depends what they have open on their calander. Did you have a particular one you prefer?

15. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    So what's happening with this, guys? Don't let TFF languish again!

16. Jamesmorbidia

May 16, 2005
    oh its not...but being the sunner in a university town things slow down a bit. Things are still rolling...just a little slower that we all would like.

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. I say we go with Bookman's.. I did not get a warm reception from Heroes and Villians from our last quest.. he blew me off totally.. So unless he wants to explain why that is.. I am not one for just giving him the extra business.. but I am very much wanting us to set the date for this meeting.. again.. I am not available the week of June 6th - June 14th.. as I am out of town..

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    the poll chose bookman's incidentally.. so that should make it easy.. I do not have a preference for which bookman's but I thought only the one at grant and campbell had the rooms available.. JM what did you find out when You made your calls on Monday.

19. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    COOL! I love that when I got back from out of town, all my TFF was in action! I tried to vote, but the poll was closed. I am down for wherever you guys want it! ###-#### to let me know where and what time!

Send PMs for phone numbers

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am waiting to hear back from Bookman's as to whether or not our group will be accepted to use the community room.. I chose a meeting time based on what you have used for past meetings and also on what was available at Bookman's. I requested a monday afternoon meeting for June and a saturday afternoon meeting for July..

I gave the dates as June 20th a monday at 1pm for two hours and July 9th a saturday at 1pm for two hours for our July meeting..

we may not need two hours.. but I figured better safe than sorry.. I figure we will go with these times whether or not Bookman's approves us.. we will just change the location to a public spot that we don't need permission to use.. I hope that we can all be there.. It is important for us to get together and meet in person to get to know each other and also to make plans for things we can do as a fan club in person.. not just online.. if you want to talk more in person please feel free to call me at ###-#### or ###-####.. I will be out of town from the 6th - 19th of June.. but can still be reached at the 247 number while gone.

let me know if we need to do anything else.. I will bring some type of drink/snack to the meeting.. but would appreciate certainly if someone else would as well.. anything appreciated. More info to come as soon as I receive it.

Send PMs for phone numbers

21. LaBelleDameSansMerci

LaBelleDameSansMerci Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I work at the Borders in Park Place, and we have organizations meet in our cafe all the time. Examples?French Club, Classic Literature Club, Chess Club, and we used to have the Science Fiction club, until they disbanded.

If you want to meet at Borders(we are open until 11) let me know, and I will speak to the authorities. After all, I have the death sentence on twelve systems, and they know that it is unwise to upset....okay, now I am taking this way too far!

22. Jamesmorbidia

May 16, 2005
    ahh the oracle borders were none to accomidating when I asked. No bother, I think we have Bookmans set so I think we will stick with them for the time being. If something changes though we will gladly take you up on that offer.

23. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Hey all, as the former Secretary of this group I wanted to chime in. I'd recommended the Bookmans at Speedway and Wilmot a few years ago. It is a great location with the Community room.

I know when I talked to a manager there they were all for it. Plus if someone doesn't have transportation, it is on the bus line.

I hope you all can get this group going again. It would be nice to see it up and running.

Cheers! Jada

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Bookman's confirmed with me.. so we are set for go on the dates I posted. I hope everyone can be there.. and we can start to get to know each other on a more personal level and make future plans for TFF.

I am now out of town until the 18th however.. but I scheduled the meetings for last week of June and then I believe the second week of July.. the meetings are close together, but I think that should be okay.. we should just all try to make at least one of the meetings.. but preferably both of them. Once we all are comfortable together we need to hold elections and get everything functional.

I won't be able to be online any until the 11th after tomorrow.. so if you need to ask something call my cell number.

Send a PM for phone numbers.

25. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Um, general rule of thumb, don't post your phone number on a public message board. ;)

Also, I'd recommend doing what the Phoenix Fan Force has done for years -- set up a regular day that you are going to meet (ex. 3rd Friday night of every month) and stick to that. That way everyone in the group will know that come that week, it is meeting time.

The PFF has been running successfully for quite a few years. The TFF has floundered for many. Putting in a good infrastructure will assist in keeping the group cohesive.

My PM box is always open should you have any questions.

~Jada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.