main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where Should I Start?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarDude, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Well Summer is nearly here and it's time I figure out what books I'm going to read. After seeing Episode III, I figure I might finally decide to delve into the expanded universe.

Here's the deal: I don't want to read anything that contradicts the movies. I'm still in that boat that isn't sure whether or not to consider the EU canon.

Preferably, I would like to read a SW novel that might actually be considered literature--implying use of literary themes, motifs and symbols. Not to sound too geeky (heh, this is a Star Wars board), but I would really like to be able to look deeply and analytically at a Star Wars novel, just as I would with a Star Wars movie. I want something that mythical, but adventurous. Unlike Tom Clancy novels, which are simply just stories and political yarns (not to dis on Clancy or anything), I want something true to the spirit of Star Wars but, at the same time, something that has depth.

So, where should I start? You guys should know best.

2. bko376

bko376 Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2005
    I was about to ask the same question EXACTLY!

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    We have a sticky thread to your needs . . . well, somewhere.

4. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Until you find that thread, I'll post ideas. A good way to start would be perhaps with the three lead-in novels?

Cloak of Deception
    Leads to The Phantom Menace

The Approching Storm
    Leads to Attack of the Clones

Labyrinth of Evil
    Leads INTO Revenge of the Sith

All three are great, I especially love LoE. That's a good starting point at least, what do you think of my recommendations?

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Depth, you're seeking?

Start with Heir to the Empire, and go from there. The vine on which all post-Marvel Star Wars stories grows (not counting the West End RPG).

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.