main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where Should We Start Conversions?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by dp4m, Nov 9, 2004.

?

Where Should We Start Conversions?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2004.
  1. WEG Sourcebooks

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. WEG Galaxy Guides

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. WOTC Original Core Rulebook Items

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I think it's self-explanatory! :)

1) WEG Sourcebooks -- including such novelties as Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook, the Imperial Sourcebook, Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook, etc. I'd also include in this box-sets (e.g. Tapani, Darkstryder, etc.)

2) WEG Galaxy Guides -- including such novelities as GG1 "A New Hope," GG4 "Alien Races," etc. I'd also include in this section the other small-pagecount softcovers (e.g. Fantastic Technology, Cracken's Field Guide, Planets of the Galaxy, etc.)

3) WOTC Original Core Rulebooks -- including such novelties as the the Secrets books, Tempest Feud, Alien Anthology, etc.

This poll closes around Thanksgiving. We'll start up that weekend.

3. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    One quick question... how will we be going about converting these books? (And also, what are some books we will probably start with so I can go out and get ahold of some of the ones I don't have...) Will we just kinda rewrite them?

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    One quick question... how will we be going about converting these books? (And also, what are some books we will probably start with so I can go out and get ahold of some of the ones I don't have...) Will we just kinda rewrite them?

I'd imagine we'll have a couple of different ways of doing it.

Groupthink.
    Individually assign sections and then revise first-drafts together.
    etc.

I'm up for anything really, and am happy to let y'all drive the show how you want.

What I'd recommend is go chronologically in-universe-wise, so start with the Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook, the Han Solo and the Corporate Sector (I think?), then the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, then the SW Sourcebook, etc.

5. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    WEG just has soo much more content, it makes sense to start there.

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Please define "Conversions".

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Are we talking taking a whole book, like "Tales of the Jedi Companion" and coverting it? That's a lot of work, and to what end? If people post some conversion requests, that's cool. But I think that converting a whole book "just to do it" is a waste.

Which brings me back to the Thread per Book argument. If people want to request conversions, they could ask there. Heck, if people wanted to convert just for fun, they could post there too.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Which brings me back to the Thread per Book argument. If people want to request conversions, they could ask there. Heck, if people wanted to convert just for fun, they could post there too.

We will not be having one thread per book. I think that's too many threads.

IF y'all want to do "by request" conversions in the single thread, rather than whole books at a time, that's a viable alternative though...

9. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    OK, once again, please define "conversions"
    Do you mean from the Literature forum to the RPG forum? d6 to d20? Or something else?

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Do you mean from the Literature forum to the RPG forum? d6 to d20? Or something else?

Sorry. AS I understand it, it's from one game system (e.g. WEG, OCR WOTC) to another game system (e.g. RCR WOTC).

I see no reason why we can't do both ways, if desired.

11. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I would definately like to see some of the WEG sourcebooks converted to D20... You can generally throw something together, but it would be nice to have all those stats and numbers converted over so you know you aren't making the creatures too easy/powerful...

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Hasn't WotC already converted everything? Or as much as can be? Aren't there charts for the DIY in us all? Really, do we need conversions?

Ok, converting WotC to WEG might me useful for d6 fans wanting to run in Prequel or NJO eras, but most people I know would rather do their own converting, or just make their own off-shoots. Unlike WotC, it only takes about 5 min to create a character or NPC.

Just wondering here.

13. foomatic

foomatic Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    This guy has already done an awesome job converting d20 to D6.

The D6 Rebellion

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I agree with Koohii, there just isn't enough demand to spend time converting a whole book, or even parts of a book.

Instead, I propose a "Conversions Request" thread. You ask for what you want converted, and whoever wants to do it can do so.

The moral of the story for me is that I'm not going to work at converting anything unless there's a GM that will use it.

15. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    i've actually begun to make few conversions from the original core rules for d20 to the new ones. I have corran horn and jaina solo done. I also have updated ones for luke and mara. Up next are kyp and kam. Then i want to do qui-gon, exar kun, lumiya, and qui-gon. I will post the ones that i have done tomarow.

16. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I've also made a few conversions from d6 to RCRB d20. I have them in files, where I list their d6 stats first, then show what I did, step-by-step, using the conversion table from SWRPGNetwork. I conclude with the d20 stats. I don't want to post these files step-by-step. Nor do I want to post the converted stats without showing you how and/or why I came up with these stats. But if anyone's interested, you can PM me, and I can e-mail them to you. The selection are the following:

From Truce at Bakura Sourcebook - Admiral Ivpikkis, Dev Sibwarra, Elder Sh'tk'ith, Firwirrung.

From The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook - Joruus C'Baoth.

From Jedi Academy Trilogy Sourcebook - Dorsk 81, Gantoris, Kirana Ti, Streen, and Tionne.

Let me know which ones you want when you PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.