main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where to buy a lathe

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Thrice3, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    I was wondering where I could purchase a lathe so I can make my own sabers, and other things.

2. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I really hope you do mean "other things" .. because lathes aren't cheap and certainly not wroth the investment just to make saber hilts.

Besides that, to truly make quality saber hilts and designs, you would also need to utilize a milling machine.

Of course, there's always the issue of learning to properly use the machines - which is not easy. There are usually courses availabel at technical and community colleges .. but it is definitely not something you can just purchase and start making saber hilts right out out of the box.

As for finding lathe/mill companies ... GOOGLE is your friend.

The other place to look is the "Metalworking" section HERE.

JediTAC

3. Cuban_Menace

Cuban_Menace Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004

If you are interested to make other things or for a business I can understand. Saber handles you can make out of anything, I think I spent ten bucks on mine.

4. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    If you are making them to sell them, it's not a bad investment. Or if you just have that much money to waste...

I have a buddy that bought a metal lathe mainly for sabers and props...he has been pretty satisfied with the results (and I was very satisfied w/ the saber he made for me), so if that's your bag, I say do it.

5. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    A lathe shop usually carries them. :p

jk...

6. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Harbor Freight Tools
    Maybe Grizzly Tools.

Links against the TOS, so I just gave the names of some that I know of. But as stated, Google is your friend.

And buying a lathe is well worth the investment. I could use one for a million things besides sabers. And metalworking is a blast. But be warned. Once you have a lathe you will want a milling machine. CNC if possible! Then you're in trouble!

7. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Lathes aren't really that hard to work...just don't get fingers in the way :p

Having only used one once in my life, I was rather satisfied with the result for my first time...if only I had thought to make a saber hilt back then...

8. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    How much do they go for, do you know?

9. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    sounds like a google or ebay question to me :)

10. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Or Froogle!

11. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Or Moogle!

--Jamball

They go for at least a couple thousand bucks. I know the metal shop at the school I teach at has been trying to get another one for awhile. They're definitely not cheap.

12. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i wouldnt recommend harbor freight for bigger machines like this one yes they have cheap prices but you get what you pay for ;) (from experience)

I'd say the cheapest decent one you could find would maybe start around $500 and from there they can get up into the big $$.

13. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    [image=http://www.sidekickmagazine.com/sep03/samGalaxy.jpg]

Look around you, maybe you can form some kind of rudimenatry lathe.

-Chris "Get off the Comm, Guy!" Hanel

14. Weslen

Weslen Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    Grizzly has a number of small metal lathes. They sell a 9" bench lathe for $750, and you can get a combo lathe/mill for about $1200. And I agree about harbor freight - stay away from them for large power tools.

You might also want to look into Jet - I've only used their wood lathes, but most of their equipment is pretty high quality.

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Note that a wood lathe will not work for metal at all. I've seen 10" lathes for under $300. At 10" you'll need to make your saber in at least two pieces but that really isn't that big of a deal. I know a guy who works on a 10" and makes lots of great sabers.

Watch eBay. May find a good deal. I personally would love to own one. I'd never leave my garage.

16. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    Damn. Chris stole my line.

17. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    a friend of a guy i know is selling his lathe on ebay Here

18. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Shipping price will be rough on that one. [face_laugh]

19. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    "Lathes R Us"

20. Joey__P

Joey__P Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2003
    Chris,

That is one of my favorite movies....I'm still laughing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.