main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where to buy Original Trilogy on VHS?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by smuggler_vola, Nov 10, 2012.

1. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    I was thinking about getting the Original Trilogy on VHS, but not the Special Edition. Where can I buy it, they don't have it at stores, is there a website I can go to that they might have it there?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could try the Amazon (US) Marketplace or eBay. If you do check the format of the tape - if it's PAL it won't play on a US VCR. Make sure it's NTSC or it's described as being a tape from the US. (There are some UK players that will play NTSC tapes - I have one as I have a lot of US tapes. However I don't know how common ones that play PAL are in the US). .If in doubt contact the seller to ask.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    PAL tapes won't play in a US VCR? I have a Japanese Pokémon release on VHS and it played just fine in my VCR. I know that PAL game cartridges won't play on US systems, and DVDs from Europe and Asia won't play on US players (unless you have an all-regions player that would play cheese), but I wasn't aware that PAL tapes won't play in a PAL VCR. Unless Japan doesn't use PAL...

But, back on topic... Try eBay. In fact, try local thrift stores! You'd be surprised what you could find. I've found some nice finds at the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other thrift stores, both chain and local.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Japan uses (or used) NTSC..

PAL tapes will not play in an NTSC VCR due to the format differences. Over here PAL VCRs that could play NTSC were fairly common til DVDs took over. I think you can probably still pick them up on Amazon UK or eBay UK..

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I second TrakNar's suggestion of hitting thrift shops. They're swamped w/ VHS tapes since everyone moved over to DVDs and now digital. Nobody wants them. I've found early, early copies of the SW films at Goodwill, etc

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    One thing to consider is the age of the tapes. I've read that videotapes start degrading with age. A Google search suggested this happens after ten years or so unless they've been stored and handled properly. So if you do find the tapes in a charity/second-hand shop try to examine them before buying. Reject any that look obviously damaged or those that were stored without being rewound.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    For what it's worth, my Special Edition VHS tapes went through a house fire. Full brunt of it, too. They're in great condition.

But, yes, do examine the tapes before you make a purchase. At a thrift store, this will be easier, as you will be able to handle the tapes. Also, the prices are more forgiving, so if you ended up spending a couple dollars on tapes that you later find to be damaged, it doesn't hurt as bad.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Any kind of used media store is a good place to look. If there's a Half Price Books in your area, give that a shot. I found a sealed copy of the letterbox set from 1992 there for 10 bucks a while back.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Another thing to try - if there's a collectors' or sci-fi show near you, go and try the vendors booths. You might get lucky there. You'd probably pay more than in a thrift store, though.