main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Where to find information about Yoda past when he met N'Kata Del Gormo

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fokeiro, May 4, 2016.

1. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    Thanks for the add to the forums, found it while looking some info on Yoda's past when he met N'Kata Del Gormo. Is there a Book or comics where this story is told ??

2. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    It looks like (based on Wookieepedia) N'Kata Del Gormo is only mentioned in reference materials in the Legends universe and has a passing reference in the new YA Empire Strikes Back adaptation. I've read that novel and don't recall the reference, so I think this will not give you the information you're looking for.

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I believe Star Wars Galaxy magazine 9. Anyway this background is EU Legends (non canon) now, so any prequels about Yoda in the future may be different.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

4. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    thanks guys for the help, seems that only a small reference is around, was looking forward to reading more into it been yoda been so old must have had an interesting story from where he met Gormo and who was his human friend with the force too.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The new canon ESB novel for young readers only mention Yoda's master in passing and does not name him at all. About the Legends character N'Kata Del Gormo, there's nothing else to be learned than what already appears in the Wookieepedia article.

6. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    i want to start reading the novels and i found this site for a timeline but not sure since i see some cover same years BBY and ABY not sure where to start

7. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
    Well, there's a couple ways to go about this. First of all, please understand that there's two different "timelines" right now: Legends, and Canon. When Disney bought Lucasfilm, they decided to reset the canon so that only the movies and the Clone Wars TV show, and any new material made after that announcement, would be canon. My recommendation is to read the canon stuff to start, which is the following books:

A New Dawn
    Tarkin
    Heir to the Jedi
    Lords of the Sith
    Dark Disciple
    Aftermath
    Bloodlines

There are also young adult and junior novels, and some comics. Or if you're more interested in the Legends material, we can help you with that, too. But this is where you'd probably look to start.

fokeiro likes this.
  8. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    thanks for the advice i will start on those but im definitively interested in legends

9. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
    With the Legends stuff, you can jump around a little bit more. Everyone has their own personal favorites. I've compiled a complete list of all the different media here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...KG9P0d2Bg2pN9iu-7FBLt00gu8/edit#gid=755211898

I'd personally recommend starting with the classic Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, the Last Command) and then picking up whatever looks most interesting as you work your way along by release date. While Bantam published the books, each new standalone novel or trilogy could be read without the background of the others, but when Del Rey took over the books started to tie together a lot more, so you would need a bit more of the EU background.

fokeiro likes this.
  10. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    awesome thank you so much

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This is a comprehensive list of Legends material, in in-universe chronological order: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_media .

Here's a list of canon media: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media.

This may be a bit hard for new readers, but personally I'm reading them all as one timeline and just ignoring the Legends material that doesn't fit (i.e. basically all post-ROTJ Legends material). I'm going through the Legends timeline and then reading the canon material when they pop up in the timeline (for instance reading 'Dark Disciple' from the canon timeline when I get to the Clone Wars era and ignoring Dark Horse's Clone Wars Vols. 3-9 from the legends timeline, because they contradict Dark Disciple). Shatterpoint from the Legends timeline also conflicts with the new canon timeline, so I skip it.

I find this adds a lot more depth than if you just read the canon timeline. For instance, characters talk about Jedi Master Tholme a lot in the canon book 'Dark Disciple', but there really is no background on who he is, what he looks like, or what he was like in canon material. This info is only provided by reading Dark Horse Legends Star Wars material.

It's a lot of work trying to figure out what Legends works no longer fit and which ones, even though they are non-canon, could in theory have happened in the canon universe.

12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    We really, really, really need a Yoda novel from Luceno.

Everyone wants to keep Yoda's back story mysterious for some reason but at this point I don't care. It's been 36 years and we still don't know a thing about the character.

13. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    yes exactly my point....one of the most powerful jedis...big significance all around....hes 900 by the time of BY so must have seen a lot....since legends goes back 20k years BBY why not doing a past for him and show how he got trained and more about his master etc. and it is hard for me trying to figure out what to read or not lol this legends vs canon and whats relevant or isnt is giving me a headache :)

14. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    Nowhere, as Del Gormo is no longer canon

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    We really, really, really don't. From anyone.

I don't care if it's been THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY years; if you play the Yoda backstory card, you've given away the last of the great secrets, which is to basically admit that the franchise is creatively spent. Sorry, but no. Always wonder.

A character like Yoda's isn't defined by his backstory to begin with, as it ultimately has no bearing on his actions and behaviors IN THE PRESENT; it's those that define who he is, and by that reckoning, we know plenty about the character, and in fact more than enough.

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The thing is... Yoda's mysterious nature is already lessened by the presence of Yaddle.

There's 900 years of canon to cover with Yoda's backstory. The Darth Plagueis novel totally blew the lid off of Palpatine and Plagueis's hazey background and it ended up being one of the most acclaimed novels ever.

I do think a Yoda movie will be on Disney's radar however.

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The Plagueis novel had lots of intrigue due to all of the Sith plotting. Meanwhile, Yoda's 900 year lifespan, with the exception of the film timeframe, is during a Republic peacetime where the Sith are thought to be extinct.

What would Yoda's story be about? Making his lightsaber with Huyang? Fighting the terentatek on Kashyyyk? Rescuing the Chu'unthor from Dathomir? Training younglings and Dooku? I guess this could be interesting... I might actually prefer this over the (spoiler for Star Wars spinoff movie)
    Han Solo movie. And we won't have to deal with an actor who looks completely different too.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Which is why Yaddle disappeared after TPM and has not been mentioned in canon material since the reboot. They realized their own mistake.

There's nine centuries of canon to cover with Yoda's backstory, yes. What of it? That's equivalent to saying there's a bunch of woodland that would just go to waste unless we build condos on it; frankly, there should be some areas of the world - even some areas of any given neighborhood - that should stay undeveloped and be left green and unspoiled.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I do think Yoda's backstory is better off letft untold. For like others have said there really wouldn't be many interesting stories to tell since most of his liftetime was spent during relative peace.

For almost twenty years people were drooling at the bit for stories about The Clone Wars. Guess what. We got them and it turned out to be a bit of a let down and the OT era is still considered massively better by most fans it seems. I think the same thing would happen if they tried to delve into Yoda's background.

20. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    While I think it would be awesome with a Yoda backstory novel (not all of it, I'd dislike it then), I think we need something mysterious such as this.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Huh??? Maybe the OT era is generally considered better, but I don't see any evidence the Clone Wars cartoon wasn't received well.

(quoted from wikipedia - not the best source but it seems legit on this matter from what I've seen)

Star Wars: The Clone Wars became the most-watched series premiere in Cartoon Network history. The series averaged 3 million total viewers in its debut, according to Nielsen Media Research. Cartoon Network said the Star Wars spin off ranked as the number one channel among all major animated networks in the time slot among total viewers (the largest in the demographic for any premiere telecast of an original Cartoon series). On July 23, 2010, at the San Diego Comic-Con, Craig Glenday, editor of the Guinness World Records, presented Star Wars: The Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni, CG supervisor Joel Aron, and lead designer Kilian Plunkett a certificate proclaiming the cartoon series "the highest rated sci-fi animation currently on television".In 2014, WatchMojo.com ranked Star Wars: The Clone Wars as the seventh best cartoon to have gotten cancelled.

I would have listed the awards the show has won but it would have been too long to post here. And that's not even getting into the Clone Wars microseries of 2003, which was also well received.

TFA was well received, but I felt it was too much of a repeat of previous material--just my opinion though (Also what has been well received doesn't always work for me. JJ Abrams' Star Trek 2009 was well received, and he boasted it was good for newcomers to the franchise. The friend I saw it with, who was from China and knew nothing about Star Trek--the very type of person JJ said the film was for--she utterly disliked the film and couldn't understand what was going on at all). But I'm digressing, I don't think anyone can claim TFA was well received and not say the same about the Clone Wars. Obviously the Clone Wars film itself wasn't good, but the series itself was a hit. The success impact of a series will obviously be lesser than a film's like TFA due to the lower range TV has as opposed to film (Arrow won't have the impact of Batman v Superman, for example), but that doesn't mean the series wasn't well received.

gmiller2233 likes this.
  22. fokeiro

fokeiro Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    i know is all about leaving it as mistery and i do agree with always leave some to the fan's imagination... i would just do kind of gollum on LOFT, we quickly saw how he turn into gollum from smeagol and thats it not a necessary a whole 900 years of history but a small relevant moments that turn him into who he is, i wouldn't mind really.