main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where to hold C4 poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by jediseanUF, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Hey, why not have C4 in Europe! I would like that a lot... :D

I don't really care where in the US it is, it's still a very long flight for me... but I'd like to experience a new city the next time I go.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Actually Enji I suggested the same thing in Scotts thread.

Actually a celebration in Europe, Australia, and Las Vegas would be perfect.

Seriously Vegas has the best facilities for everyone. It really works.

3. DarthLexsidous

DarthLexsidous Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2004
    Please no Europe. Nothing against them but it is much to far, and eventhough there fan base is large it doesnt compare to the U.S. If it was held in Europe the numbers would be very small. The best bet is Las Vegas.

4. Koza_Toragh

Koza_Toragh Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    Seattle, or somewhere else in Washington. Oregon or Idaho would do nicely. I like those locations, cuz there within driving distance of me :D

5. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Sorry to pop everyone's bubble about a Celebration in Europe, but they allready have one:Star Wars Réunion

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a better place than Indy to actually host a convention in the World.

They have very much decent weather. I too got a cold from waiting under the rain and suffering from sleep depravation. But you know what if I had packed a rain coat, I would have been ok.
    Plus last time, we had Great weather.

Anyway, I yet have to find a place where so many hotels are linked to the convention center by skywalks. Even tough it took some talking to GenCon about accessing the con center by the skywalks, they finally got it.

Plus, local rumors have it that the Hoosier dome will be getting bigger in the next few months (they apparently are trying to get a SuperBowl) so bigger con center at the same time.

This time, numbers by sunday morning were over 30000 fans. With 21000 of these pre-registered, I think it's a nice number.

For one, I would hate attending a convention (and I did in the past) where I would need to move from the hotel to the convention center. Loss of time is not something I appreciate.

If it's crossing the street (like in indy) well then I can cope with that. but otherwise... It would just get me pissed.

So for me it's easy

Indy all the way

6. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    The weather was too bad-- it's the risk you run of holding a convention in Indianapolis in April. Up until Wednesday, the 20th, the weather for the past two weeks in Indy had been between 60-80 degrees and sunny, occasionally as high as 85 (I actually had to turn the air conditioner on for a couple of nights).

Then a freak cold storm front swoops in and dumps thunderstorms and unseasonably late snowstorms all over the midwest and mid-atlantic states.

If C4 were to coincide with the release of Star Wars in 1977, late May, weather would not be an issue. EDIT: Actually, if they plan for a Memorial Day C4 (May 25 or thereabouts) you can DEFINITELY count out Indy, as that's the weekend of the Indianapolis 500, and there won't be a hotel within 30 miles of the city that isn't booked solid.

Uilmuteiz is correct-- I don't know of another convention center that is physically connected to seven different hotels and 12 minutes from the airport.

I would pick Indy again just because that means I'd go to the next one. Because it was here, I went to the last two, but I doubt I'd drive any farther than a couple of hours (Chicago, maybe St. Louis) to go to one, and flying certainly wouldn't be an option. If I'm going to drop money on a plane ticket, that ticket is taking me to either Hawaii or St. Kitts!

7. Darth_Malor

Darth_Malor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    I would suggest having the next celebration in New York City. Not because it's 2 hours away from me, but it's where I think they could find an easy convention hall to get to to hold the convention. Plus, they could possibly have a huge party in Times Square. I've been to New York so many times it's crazy, I practically know the city. Anyways, It would be great if C4 was in New York. Great for me to get there, since I missed C3.

Another reason to have it in NYC is because weather is usually decent, not raining all the time or things like that, but because you have sights to see when you have free time, or don't want to eat at the convention center itself.

8. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Everything's bigger in Texas. Hmmm I wonder what facilities Dallas, Austin or Houston have..

At least the weather would be a lot warmer. ;)

9. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Another vote for Atlanta from me. :D Of course, I live here and have never even been to Dragon*Con. That'll change in September.

But I hope it's someone pretty centralized. Dallas or Ft. Worth would be great. :D

10. jediseanUF

jediseanUF Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2005
    GullyFoyle brings up a good point about conflicting events. I would guess that if they are set on Indy than they are likely to reschedule a week earlier or later. Now if they want to do it on the actual dates, which would be cool, than we are looking at having to strike Indy off the map due to the Indy 500, at least to my thinking.

While I like the setup with the hotels connected to the con center, I really think a short walk to the center, a al Orlando or San Diego, is not that bad and I know for both there are plenty of good restaraunts around.

11. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    there are literally thousands of fans on either coast who don't go to C3 because no one wants to go to Indianapolis.
    On geographical population factors, All the Celebrations should have been on one of the coasts to get a bigger numbers of fans there.

The trouble with the coasts is that there are two of them, and they'd have to choose one therefor screwing everyone on the other coast. A central location makes the most sense period.

Vegas is an okay option. So is St Louis. I'm not the biggest fan of Denver even though there's a good possibility I'll be living near Colorado Springs in 2007. One suggestion I'm not seeing much is Salt Lake City. They have the best freeway system of any major city I've been in (and I've spent time in most of them west of the Missippi in the last two years) and it just had the Olympics so its got to have facilities. Texas is a pain to get around in, I'd rather try to get around in LA than Dallas and everything else is so far south it takes a day just to drive across the state. Oregon doesn't have anything that could even begin to cope with this (and it hurts to say that because that's where I grew up). California and New York are already both too crowded, nevermind the whole centralization issue. I thought Indy was great, I hope they can have it there again.

12. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    With the exception of a few people everyone always seems to forget that KC is the city between Denver and St. Louis (both choices are good ones as far as I'm concerned.)I am obviously biased, but when people were debating the next location before C3 everyone always seemed to overlook Kansas City. Plenty of "St. Louis" or "Denver" repsonses. I am somewhat surprised that no one ever remembers that KC is the largest city closest to the center of the United States (of course that assumes it would be held here and not Europe) We have a convention center that is larger than the one in Indy, plenty of hotel space, and amazingly enough a nightlife that is just as good as Indy.

Flights are cheap to KC as Southwest's hub is here, lodging is cheaper than in Indy, and the weather was nicer both during the weekend of C2 and C3. I agree that it needs to be moved from Indy. And I disagree that it should be moved to one of the coasts. You risk alienating fans from the other coast in doing so.

Anyway, my votes are:

Kansas City, MO
    St. Louis, MO
    Denver, CO
    Chicago, IL

(In that order)

13. Emmadala

Emmadala Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    I would have to vote for St. Louis, Milwaukee, or Indianapolis. I haven't been to any of the celebrations (no money) but I live a mile away from St. Louis right now and it's really easy to get around in. The airport is really nice and clean and there are a lot of hotels, etc. Milwaukee is easy to navigate as well but it's further north=colder. Vegas would be cool but then I would get swept into gambling and waste away all my celebration money. >.< I have a problem with that. lol :p but yeah since they held the final four i think that STL could handle it.
    It'd be even cooler if it could be in Hawaii! lol :)

14. Aaron2010

Aaron2010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    Indy will be the next site. Why do you think they had C3 there after having C2 there? Because there is no other place.

With the 500, it won't be an issue as long as it's not the same weekend.

Oh, and of course I'm biased. I live here in Indy.

15. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    What is the problem with Indy ? I'm talking more to the fan that did go to C2 or C3. Because what is the problem with it ? It is central within North America meaning not too far for Canadians or Americans, but nor is the city overly huge. The weather is okay, sure it rained, but that is normal for the time of year. The convention area is great, lots of hotels around, lots of great places to go after con hours. Overall a great city. Sure I would love to say Montreal, but I have to face the fact that we are in the north eastern corner of the continent, so no dice. We have a good thing going right now why mess it up ? Anyway the convention center is getting BIGGER.

Non-C2 or C3 participants opinions are void, because they don't know the power of Indy.

16. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Orlando

It aready has the infrastructure in place. It's a cheap city with lots of hotel rooms, several convention centers, and it has direct flights from almost every major city in the U.S. and much of Europe. Nobody wants to go to NY, CHicago, LA, D.C., and have to worry about being mugged. At least Indy was a safe and cheap city that was centrally located.

Plus, Orlando has great weather in the spring.

17. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    A typical non-New Yorker's point of view is that "you will get mugged" when you travel to New York City. New York City is statistically one of the safest metropolitan areas on the planet. There is more crime simply because there are more people.

That said, while I'd be thrilled to have it here, NYC just can't support something like C3. The Javits Center is not large enough, and people would have to be bussed to expensive Times Square area hotels. I think Indianapolis is ideal, and if they actually use the RCA dome for C4, things will go more smoothly.

18. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    bonzofett posted on 4/28/05 8:49pm
    Orlando

It aready has the infrastructure in place. It's a cheap city with lots of hotel rooms, several convention centers, and it has direct flights from almost every major city in the U.S. and much of Europe. Nobody wants to go to NY, CHicago, LA, D.C., and have to worry about being mugged. At least Indy was a safe and cheap city that was centrally located.

Plus, Orlando has great weather in the spring.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    what makes you think people want to go to orlando either? :p (*biased* i have a strong dislike for FL). ;)

anyhow, my vote--as it did after c:2--goes to indy again. as a couple of others have mentioned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

in regard to the weather, the weather for c:2 was perfect, mid-60's and sunny. c:3 was obviously a different story, but i think that can be better avoided by pushing it back a couple of weeks from when it was this year.

either coast seems to be fairly ruled out, as i've heard many times that they don't want to have it on a coast. it's been in indy twice in a row because of the centralized location.

19. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    Indy is not a bad convention town really. I think they need to hold it in May perhaps to ensure better weather. April is not called the cruellst month for nothing ;).

I think this time they wanted to time it in advance of the premiere. #4 would not have that worry.

20. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    May is tough due to the Indy 500 festivities. I think the weather was just a freak event -- 30 degrees, freezing rain and snow. Just in case of similar weather, I hope GenCon sees fit to provide cover for those waiting outside.

21. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    could it be in june? june should be in the clear as far as frigid temps. does anything big happen in indy in june?

22. MazzSunblade

MazzSunblade Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Indy, Las Vegas, and NYC are the best suggestions I've heard so far. I think having C4 for either when the live action show or the 30th anv. would be best. That may be the same year too.

23. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    NYC isn't that great for conventions imho. Not enough room and Javitts is really not that great. Indy as a location is fine, imho.

24. hollywood_randy

hollywood_randy LFL Artist VIP

Mar 23, 2005
    I don't think anyone is putting Indy down. But, C4 could make improvments in another city.

NY City is not realistic. It's WAY to expensive to hold it there, and hotels are way to much. It woudl be a convention for the Elite.

I lived in Kansas City for 2 1/2 years. Believe me, you don't want it there. Bartle hall is so ugly and absolutely nothing to do around it.
    Plus, walk the wrong direction a couple blocks and it gets real scary.

Vegas still makes the most sense.

25. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I liked Indy. Very nice place to visit and stay and it's centrally located so getting there isn't too difficult or too skewed towards one coast or the other.

My only complaint would be the water, waaaayy too much silt in it and made it all too easy to tell which restaurants used purified water and which ones didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.