main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where to hold C4 poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by jediseanUF, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    The convention center in Indy won't likely be torn down. The RCA dome is slated for destruction, but, as is the way of people (especially those in large groups), it's become a game of telephone. In my understanding (again, I might be a link in that telephone game) they are planning to build a new stadium, which will be open in 2008. Once it is finished, the RCA Dome (which is attached to the convention center) will come down. In its place will be an expansion of the convention center. However, this project is not very popular, and a lot of campaigning has been done here recently just to keep it from dying completely, so I'm not actually holding my breath just yet.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Nothing in Indy is being torn down until the new stadium is built, then the RCA will come down, and in it's rubble, the new expansion to the Convention Center will be built. The CC is not closing down.

3. Bruno_Fett

Bruno_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Ok I will trade you Comicon on the west coast for the star wars con in the midwest. I will even throw in a lava vader on a non-mint card....

See no one wants to give up the star wars convention, I don't blame them one bit. I have seen these grow every time and an concerned about Indy being able to handle the next one. Yes its a non movie year but the only kind of star wars fan is a die hard fan and we turn more to our side everyday.

I am not being biased to Vegas because thats where I live, I am just stating form a logistical perspective it is the best choice. Seeing how much trouble this last convention was with withholding badge sales and the old fire marshal putting the kybosh on the store, I say dont chance it.

And last years meth-fest in Iowa rocked (no pun intended)!

4. DarthLexsidous

DarthLexsidous Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2004
    Agree with you I do. Las Vegas is the best place, I dont know people have againts it. It is really the only place that can handle it. Plus if you want to take a break and do something else, there is everything you need. In Indy we wanted to go to the zoo but I dont think my kids could have handled the -25 degrees winds and rain.

5. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Las Vegas is not the best place.

Maybe it is for people who live on the West Coast.

Let's not be greedy and hope for a locale that EVERYONE can attend and enjoy.

6. Bruno_Fett

Mar 31, 2002
    Nice of you to shoot down suggestions with your opinion and yet not make one of your own!

This weekend Vegas is hosting some kitchen and bath expo, 70,000 attendies, even with the done I dobt Indy could manage that. And its a slow weekend here.

West coast, East coast? what the he11 is this Biggie and 2pac? Its a freakin' Star Wars Convention.

7. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    I think it comes down to this...if you truly consider yourself a hard-core Star Wars fan, you would go ANYWHERE in the world that it was held for the 30th Anniversary Celebration (C-4). You would make the financial, logistical arrangements and sacrifices well in advance to attend this event...

And coming from "Lucas Country" up here in San Francisco, again my choices would be: SF or Las Vegas. Or if you want to try a few Star Wars locations, why not: Australia, Tunisia, Italy or Spain? :D

**And talking about food on the previous page like Steak N' Shakes and Dairy Queen, I actually liked capping off C-3 by finally going to...White Castle ;)

8. IowaSabre

IowaSabre Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Do people actually go to White Castle's when they are sober?

Too many memories of stumbling into a White Castle in Bloomington, Indiana after spending the night on Kirkwood * Shudders *

* Shock * A Guy from the West coast who wants C4 on the West coast!

9. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Or, since it's the 30th Anniversary of ANH, why not bring it all home, back to England where it was made? :D :p

All this "east coast" "west coast" rubbish from some Americans who don't want to travel somewhere else within their own country think of those of us from outside your country, England, Sweden, Australia, Japan, Germany etc, etc. We all made the trek across OCEANS and CONTINENTS to come to C3 and we'd do it again for C4.

What that guy said earlier should pretty much hold true. If you're a big enough fan, then you'll arrange it so you can go.

With regards to Las Vegas, I'm against it simply because it would get drowned in everything else that Vegas does. Whilst in Indy, I felt really welcome, like the place had invited me over to stay. That just won't happen in Vegas, we'd be a blip on the radar. Like someone said, they're handling a kitchen expo with 70,000 attendees, that's nearly twice the number that attended C3! We just wouldn't even register.

10. IowaSabre

IowaSabre Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    5,223 miles (8,406 km) from England to Las Vegas
    3,993 miles (6,426 km) from England to Indianapolis
    1,945 miles from San Francisco to Indianpolis
    1,591 miles from Las Vegas to Indiapolis
    644 miles from New York to Indianapolis

1,214 miles from Iowa to Las Vegas
    410 miles from Iowa to Indianapolis

;) I vote for Indianapolis! ;)

By the way, Best regards to all the international visitors to C3. You made it special!

11. LadyLessa

LadyLessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I am a very big fan of Star Wars. But my vote stil goes for Indy. I looked up the cost of flying to Las Vegas & several other places and for a family of 5 it is just way out of my reach no matter how much I save. I was at CII in Indy and the weather was absolutely beautiful. Yes, there were long lines but I didn't mind it at all. And yes, my husband came away from CIII with the flu and he wasn't even outside but a few minutes. I just love Indy.

12. Bruno_Fett

Mar 31, 2002
    I dont care where it is, I will be there. Thats all there is to it.

My point was to find a place that would hold the most efficient convention. One that would not have all the logistical problems that CII and CIII have run into. I am not talking about what is convenient for me. I will be where ever it is, I would really just like to have it someplace that can handle the crowds better. The downhome charm doesnt do me much good when I am standing out in the cold on the roof of the convention center waiting to get into the opening ceremonies. That is ridiculous.

If you are really worried about the "glitz" of Vegas outshining the convention then you really have to get out more often. If it doesnt show up as even a blip then that just proves that this town can handle it with out missing a beat. Also our bars do not close down at 3 am, come on, thats lame!!

If you can find someplace, anyplace, that has the facilities that would make C4 an enjoyable event rather than a line-fest post it here! If the facilities are in Great Britian, then I am flying overseas.

Please dont use the "lines are what makes the convention so awesome" line. I enjoy the company of my fellow star wars fans, However waiting in line makes some fans extremely rude and irate. Also if I want to hang with the fans there is the hotel lobby's, the after convention parties, and the lounge. If I am at the convention I want to "do" what there is to "do" at the convention.

Man you would think I am working for the tourist board out here or something. Lets make everyone happy, Hawaii in 2007!!

13. HonRincon

HonRincon Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    I will also plan to go wherever it is. My hope is that maybe it is held closer to summer being there won?t be a movie being released. After being at CI CII and CIII I have to say GenCom should not be involved in any way, shape, or form. If they are I will not, repeat not attend.

Just my $.02

Headed to stand in line for the midnight showing with tickets in hand...

14. ANAKIN415

ANAKIN415 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    i would go anywhere that it will be held.

having chicago experience and knowing how much chicago loves a convention i would say chicago. we have a few places that can work out lovely. while i love indianapolis as well you might not wanna mess with the karma there. i just wouldnt hold it in april at either city. late may would be great for a midwestern town. as far as east coast i have heard great things about d.c that might be a thought. as for a west coaster why not san fan if they have suitable facilites. on an international note since mythology is a running theme why not greece ? or even japan ?

just a few thoughts

15. obi-ray

obi-ray Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    Amen.......for all who agreed that the best place is INDIANAPOLIS CONVENTION CENTER I came from Puerto Rico
    saving republic credits for more than a year to make
    the trip. remember the location its perfect just in the center of the USA. MTFBW...all

16. DavidEdwards

DavidEdwards Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Greetings, all. This is my first post. I felt I wanted to chime in on this matter.

Now... Don't get me wrong. I don't actually REGRET a moment of it. However, waiting out in the rain, and sleet, and snow, and ferocious wind in Indinapolis to hear George Lucas speak SUCKED!!!! Could we consider a more TEMPERATE climate?! The guys in the Hoth outfits with the full sized animated Tauntaun where the only ones who planned ahead! HA! It was quite a night for us all.

Suggestions:

New Orleans?
    Orlando?

...a LATER DATE in the year in the hopes of a more pleasant climate?!

...coinsided with Star Wars Weekends.. Celebration IV could literally be a MONTH long with opportunities for people to attend throughout! (just throwing out ideas..)

Las Vegas is a great idea as well. Airlines should be encouraged to offer special rates to convention atendees who book in advance!

I will post my ideas on what activities and such Celebration IV might have in the appropriate forum.

Dave

17. DavidEdwards

DavidEdwards Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    ...there's nothing wrong with Chicago either. ...great town. (BUT.. again... later in the year.)

What's wrong with organizing this as a YEARLY event?? If the freakshow at Dragoncon can do it, why can we? (heh)

18. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Amidala14 posted on 4/28/05 4:00pm
    Phoenix! [face_tongue]
    [hr][/blockquote]

I'll second that!

Also would like

Dallas
    Chicago

All flights lead to both. [face_wink]

19. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    Seeing as I missed the previous Celebrations because they were just too far away, I'd like to throw my support in behind Bruno Fett and lobby for Las Vegas. It's cheap to fly there and cheap to stay as well.

And before one more person says "But people in Southern California have Comic Con to go to!", I'd like to say that while Comic Con is great, it is NOT entirely centered around Star Wars, so I'm not sure you can equate the two.

Also, I don't know why no one's mentioned the Anaheim Convention Center. It's been host to a number of highly successful WorldCons and could definitely handle the load. Plus, Disneyland is just across the street.

20. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    You beat me to it Jairen ! ;)

I quite fancied Vegas, after all no one is going to MAKE you spend your money on anything else. On the other hand I liked the welcoming feeling Indy had and I think we would loose that in Vegas as we would be just a drop in the ocean.

21. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I'd suggest Boston, but considering what a mess it was during the DNC last year, that might not be so hot. :p My suggestions, broken down by region:

East Coast - New York or Philadelphia. (Nooooo, never mind that I live within an hour of the latter and three hours of the former... :D)
    Midwest - Mpls/St. Paul, Chicago, Indy, St. Louis.
    West Coast - Seattle, Portland, Denver, Salt Lake City, 'Frisco.

Just some thoughts 'n' ideas. *gets ready to go down in a blaze of glory*

22. Ace_Ryn_Knight

Ace_Ryn_Knight Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005
    I vote for San Francisco. Its lovely and the weather is wonderful.

I don't remember who said it but I second the thought that these events should be annual. Perhaps that way it could be held in different places each time and everyone could be happy?

Forgive me, I'm young. My ideas may not be entirely realistic.

23. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Speaking for myself, it wouldnt be financially viable to attend an annual convention on that scale and spend the amount I did, and I hate the idea of missing out... there shall be no partying with me ! ;)

24. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    My vote is to either keep it in Indy, or go some place else in the midwest. There are several reasons why I feel this way.

1. Proximity. I'm selfish and live in the St. Louis area. It's nice to be within a 5 hours drive.

But, I know that some people who lived near the east coast also made it in just over 5 hours to Indy. It's central.

2. Cost. The midwest is generally the cheepest area of the country. Our gas was a $1.82 a couple of days ago. A dinner out can average $10 - 15 a person if it's nice with drinks.

Heck, my 2080 sq house in a quiet, well kept subdivision cost us a whopping $124,500 last September.

3. Hotels. Hotels in this area are generally not booked up for other things then special events or conventions. There's a really good chance that the con holders could get a very large portion of any hotels nearby secured.

4. Transportation. Flights in and out of this area are generally not sold out or overbooked.

Also, St. Louis has the Metrolink which can get you from the airport to downtown in about 15 minutes on a clean electric train for about $1.75.

5. Family orientation. Anyone who was at C3 knows that there are a ton of younglings who are as big of fans as everyone. St. Louis and Indy have zoos (StL has the best in the nation as judged by Zagats and it's FREE), KC has Worlds of Fun, StL has Six Flags, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying that other cities don't have things to offer in terms of family fun, but I would give pause to taking my son to Vegas.

Those are just my 2 cents. I don't really think that they'll move it, which is fine by me.

And maybe it's just me, but the weather wasn't all that big of a problem. We huddled close and got to REEAAALLLLY know our fellow SW fans! Also, once inside, all weather was forgoten.

Anyway, had it not snowed, I wouldn't have gotten to sing "Let it Snow" Jay La'galia and his children! :)

25. Jedi9181

Jedi9181 Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2005
    titania7,

Funny, I was just going to say three of the same things but you beat me to it. (Location, Cost, and Weather.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.