main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where to Start? (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RJ_x, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJ_x

RJ_x Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi guys! I've been a fan of the series since I first watched Star Wars back in 1984 (only 4 at the time). I've never been a "hardcore" fan, in the sense that I don't have near the knowledge and expertise as most of you seem to have. I am, however, finding myself with a lot more free time lately and wanted to start reading some of the SW novels.

The problem is when I walked into the library and saw the sheer number of novels that have been written I didn't have a clue where to begin! I tried picking one up, but it I was missing so much of the background story that the novel didn't make much sense to me!

This is why I'm coming to you guys for help. Could someone please tell me a good starting point to begin my Star Wars enlightenment? Any particualr authors worth reading? Avoiding? Any favorites?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    First off welcome to the boards! I started the EU at the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, Last Command) If you want to start chronologicly start with if you like young readers, Legacy of the Jedi but if your only into adult books, Cloak of Deception.

3. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Well, we don't all agree on this, but most people suggest the Thrawn Trilogy (Hier to the Empire, dark Force Rising, and The Last command) as a good starting point.

Which book was it that you tried to read but didn't understand too well?

Also are you interested in prequel/Clone Wars at all or are you more interested in the classic characters?

4. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    If I were you, you should start with the Thrawn Trilogy (looks like we're all agreed on that :p) and then go through the X-wing series. There are a few books to avoid, but that comes later. I guess it all depends on what you want to know, because the prequel stuff is kinda a class all its own. I do recommend starting at a point and going forward chronologically, though. Good luck. :)

5. RJ_x

RJ_x Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks a lot for the help guys! I guess it's decided that I'll start with the Thrawn Trilogy (and if my math is correct I have 3 books to read! :D)

clonewarseu, sorry I don't recall the name of the novel that I had initially picked up.

As far as the classic character vs. prequel goes I guess I'm partial to the prequel stuff, it just seems really cool. Then again, I've never read any of the latter novels (after ROTJ) for any real comparison. :confused: I guess I'd like to follow the order that makes the most sense (whichever that might be).

Again, thanks a lot for your help. I know a lot of boards out there who don't really acknowedge newbies all that much, thanks for taking the time to help!

6. SuperShmi06

SuperShmi06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2003
    The Thrawn Trilogy is a great place to start. I didn't start there (i have wanted desperately to marry Boba Fett since the first time i saw ESB so i started with the bounty hunter wars), but the thrawn trilogy has so many characters from the movies that its a good place to begin

7. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    As they say... All great trilogies come in threes. ;)

8. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Definatly Thrawn Trilogy, as you have decided, then you should either go to X-wing (which I'm partal to, because those are the first EU books I read) or you could go to the Hand of Thrawn Douology wich takes place ten years after the books you are reading, but it is connected to TTT (The Thrawn Trilogy).

You said you are intersted in Prequel Era books. There are two Darth Maul books (I can't remember their names) then tehre are the movie lead in novels, and finaly you get into Clone Wrs stuff.

9. TLONMASTER

TLONMASTER Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2004
    I personally feel that a great place to start, and where I started, was Shadows of the Empire. The story is very easy to get into for those who have only seen the movies before. It uses all the same characters, and a situation that we know happens, just not the specifics. Plus it's a fun story altogether, and it starts at the end of ESB up until the beginning of ROTJ.

I only began reading the Thrawn trilogy, so I don't know about that yet. I think it's better to go in order, personally. After all, Heir to the Empire is what, 6 years after ROTJ? As much as I hear it sucks, I sorta wanted to read Truce at Bakura first.

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
  11. SuperShmi06

SuperShmi06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2003
    oh yeah i forgot Shadows of the Empire....that is one great book. i would highly reccomend that and the thrawn trilogy

12. RJ_x

RJ_x Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. So let me just make sure I'm getting this in the right order:
    i) First read Shadows of the empire
    ii) Second is the Thrawn Trilogy
    iii) X-wing series
    iv) Hand of Thrawn Douology

Too bad the libraries are closed today. I'm actually really excited and anxious to get started! As geeky as it sounds, I've actually got butterflies!

13. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    That's good. You have taken your first step into a larger world.

:D

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It should be noted that the majority of the X-Wing series is actually set chronologically before the Thrawn Trilogy, so if you want to read the main suggestions here in order, do Shadows, X-Wing (books 1-7) and then Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing (books 8-9).

Though, taken that way, you may want to add The Courtship of Princess Leia to that list after the first 7 X-Wing books, since it resolves some of the story arc left over from book 7. COPL isn't as good as the other books suggested here, but isn't that bad either.

But, again, it isn't necessarily required to read COPL either, so you could probably skip from X-Wing #7 to Thrawn trilogy with only a couple lingering questions.

And, prequel wise, a nice prelude to The Phantom Menace can be found in Cloak of Deception & Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

15. RJ_x

RJ_x Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks for the clarifying the chronology of the books 2nd quest. Judging by the reviews the X-Wing series has received on this site it seems like they're going to be very entertaining!

ThrawnRocks...I'm somewhat worried that I'll like these books too much. I have an uncanny ability to waste time and procrastinate. If I end up liking these books I might not get anything done at all!

16. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah! There are way too many books :D And they're contracted to write 18 more! [face_dancing]

17. PackerBacker

PackerBacker Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2004
    Don't listen to any of these buffoons [face_shame_on_you]

You have to start with the Glove of Darth Vader Books. After that, everything else makes perfect sense...

Just kidding.

In fact, you should probably try to stay away from these books at all costs.

18. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    You should read (chronologically) from after ROTJ

Truce At Bakura - immediately after ROTJ
    X-Wing 1-7
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost
    The Thrawn Trilogy
    X-Wing 8
    I,Jedi and the Jedi Academy Trilogy
    X-Wing 9
    Hand Of Thrawn Duology
    New Jedi Order 1-19

(those are just the ones I think are good)

Also read Han Solo Trilogy (both of them) and the Lando trilogy and Shadows of the Empire

19. evil_kenshin

evil_kenshin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    young jedi knights is a good series to read

20. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    Han Solo Adventures also.

21. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I read the Thrawn Trilogy first, then the X-wing books, then the Thrawn Duology. Definitely read the Young Jedi Knights books, probably the Junior Jedi Knights too, before you start with the New Jedi Order--you'll understand the characters better that way.

~Rogue

22. RJ_x

RJ_x Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks a lot for the help guys and for making me feel welcome. I honestly didn't believe I would receive more than one response to my question (if even one response). Lord_Riven, thanks for the detailed chronology, I picked up Shadows of the Empire today and am just now starting to read it. I'll make sure to follow your order, especially because I hate reading books where it's already assumed that you should now such-and-such about certain characters.

evil and rogue, thatnks for the heads up on the Young Jedi Knights series. I'll make sure to keep them in mind.

G_M_Kevin, I'm assuming you've read all these books more than once. Am I right? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.