main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where was Mace during Anakin's knighting?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CBright7831, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I did not see a purple lightsaber in the Jedi council HQ when Anakin walked in.

Where was Mace?

2. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Hmmm..pause on hyperspace and consider this I must. Prolly busten some heads or looking involved in Quinlan Vos' story

3. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    noticed this, I did.

I think he is a dissenter on this subject.

4. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Here's a screen cap to confirm Mace was absent.

[image=http://img50.exs.cx/img50/8085/jediknighting9fn.jpg]

5. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I did not see a purple lightsaber in the Jedi council HQ when Anakin walked in.
    I don't believe that the Knighting ceremony consists of the Jedi Council, despite the fact that Obi-Wan and Yoda are there. Mace is obviously not there, yet 12 are there. Even Piell is obviously not there as his stature would give it away, yet there are 12. Oppo Rancisis is obviously not there, as his form would give it away, yet there are 12. Additionally, the simple knighting of a padawan, albeit one who might be the Chosen One, is hardly a justification for calling back the council and bringing them together. If this were so, the council would never be able to leave Coruscant, as knightings would be happening so incredibly often.

6. Crimson_Jedi

Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Regarding the picture, I like the theory that the missing spot represents Mace, but it's also possible that Obi Wan had not yet walked into position by the time the Council flashed on their lightsabers. The empty spot is Obi Wan's, until we see Obi Wan a second or two later. Just an alternative theory ....

7. phoenix-jedi

phoenix-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    Hi, there are many jedi councils this doesn't necessarily have to be the High Jedi Council that everyone thinks it is. Or as someone said the Jedi are out fighting there is just a possibility they had people fill in spots while others are away.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Mace was using his green knighting ceremony lightsaber, not his purple fighting lightsaber.

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    If this were so, the council would never be able to leave Coruscant, as knightings would be happening so incredibly often.

Wah? I don't think so. :p There are only ten thousand Jedi in a galaxy of millions of planets, and their numbers are dwindling with the war. Only a very miniscule part of the galactic population has the ability to become a Jedi. The plight of the Jedi is that the war is killing off Jedi, and they simply do not have the numbers to keep up with it.

This being said, I'll agree that the Council likely isn't there due to 1.) lack of that tradition and 2.) it strikes me as done in a hurry in order to send them out again.

10. Darth_Lokin

Darth_Lokin Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003

Except... didn't the Council call Anakin?

If it was me that was called, I would at least expect the courtesy of having them show up to my knighting ceremony.... just saying.

11. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    Mace was using his green knighting ceremony lightsaber, not his purple fighting lightsaber.
    Somehow I doubt that they have special 'knighting' lightsabers. Doesn't seem very Jedi to me. Especially since there is no evidence to support the point.

Wah? I don't think so. There are only ten thousand Jedi in a galaxy of millions of planets, and their numbers are dwindling with the war. Only a very miniscule part of the galactic population has the ability to become a Jedi. The plight of the Jedi is that the war is killing off Jedi, and they simply do not have the numbers to keep up with it.
    Okay, taking the figure of 10,000 Jedi, prior to the movies. Estamating that they are anywhere from 1 to 100 about on average, we'll say that there are 100 Jedi per year. Even if this makes no sense, 100 Jedi knighted a year seems a reasonable figure. Given this, the council would have to be present every 3 days to knight someone new. Also, when Obi-Wan became a Knight there was no 'dark room' ceremony, all there was was Yoda's declaration on Naboo to him.

This being said, I'll agree that the Council likely isn't there due to 1.) lack of that tradition and 2.) it strikes me as done in a hurry in order to send them out again.
    Agreed there on both points.

Except... didn't the Council call Anakin?

If it was me that was called, I would at least expect the courtesy of having them show up to my knighting ceremony.... just saying.

Well first of all, thats awful vain for a Jedi Knight... and you want the Jedi Council to show up for your knighting ceremony? Even as Anakin, what makes your ceremony that important? If anything, I'd present the argument that Jedi 'close' to Anakin were present at the ceremony, as both Obi and Yoda have played semi-important roles in his life.

One counterpoint to my argument is that the Jedi are already there talking about his knighting ceremony, but it seems no one has made that point. Of course I find that scene somewhat ridiculous and believe that some of the members should have been holograms. Given the enormous number of missions that warrant their attention and personal contribution, I don't think they have lounge time to discuss this kind of thing.

And yes, he was summoned by the council. But let me present to you an argument from our world. If the Senate were to summon someone before them to speak, would it be required that all the Senate be there for that person to be summoned?

12. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    They make it seem like Anakin's knighting is a rush job due to the stressful times, but remember Obi-Wan's knighting from TPM? "Confer on you the level of Jedi Knight, the Council does." And that was it! No fancy ceremony for him.

13. Astronaut_Bread

Astronaut_Bread Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2005
    For ARTISTIC PURPOSES ONLY they likely used just anonymous robed Jedi with green or blue sabers. Those Jedi are just background for what's really going on- the Knighting of Anakin by Master Yoda.

Ki-Adi-Muni, Oppo Ransisis, and Evel Peel are notably absent too- they would stick out even more than a purple lightsaber.

14. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Eviel Pell is there, see the little short one and about 3:00?

15. HanandChewie

HanandChewie Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    I think the reason Mace wasn't there was because the animators didn't really think about all the members of the council. They wanted it took look good to the average fan, and if you have short guys and weird shaped guys along with the normal guys, it isn't gonna look good at first glance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.