main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Where were Luke and Leia born?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by huttese1138, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I didn't get a chance to vote on yahoo so I thought that I would say it here. I think that they are definitely born on Tatooine. I thought it was funny that no one agrees with me...Oh well!

2. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I personally was amazed when TPM came out to find that Anakin grew up (well, to the age of 9 anyway) on Tatooine. I thought to myself, 'why then would Obi Wan hide Luke there? Surely Vader would know of this planet, maybe visit?' Maybe Vader put it out of his mind...too many bad memories. Although Luke grew up on Tatooine, I prefer to guess that he and Leia were born on Coruscant, because I would think that on a planet that heavily populated the birth could more easily be covered up.
    That's my take on it anyway. It probably wouldn't be very hard to conceal the birth on any planet, really.

3. SparklerV

SparklerV Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    I can honestly say that I'd never given it any thought as to where Luke and Leia were born. In the novelization of ROTJ, there are some pretty good "past-shadowings" of Leia and Amidala... some line about remembering them having to hide in a chest or something like that. Somehow, I'd always just thought that they would have been born on a freighter or something like that. :)

Catherine

4. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I won't go into spoilers,but in AOTC,you will get a pretty good idea of just why Anakin doesn't want to back to Tatooine.

The decision to hide Luke on Tatooine made sense to me;the Empire had little,if any,interest in it since there weren't many resources they could plunder.Not to mention that Vader wouldn't be looking for a child that he didn't know he had,if you lean towards that way of thinking,and I tend to.

5. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    I think they were born on tatooine for that very reason. Anakin doesn't want to go back and Padme(and whoever else is with her at the birth of the twins) knows it would hold the secret.

6. SparklerV

SparklerV Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Also, "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from" as Luke said to C-3PO. Tatooine, as we reconfirmed in TPM was controlled by the Hutts... and apparently it stayed that way (not being under Imperial control) all the way through ANH. So, it would be "safe ground" in a manner of speaking for both Obi-wan and baby Luke.

7. StealthTrooperSTC019

StealthTrooperSTC019 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2002
    I think they are born somewhere in hiding from Anakin. I think from there Obi-Wan takes Luke to Tattooine to live w/ the Lars. I'm sure Owen boots out Obi telling him the Jedi are trouble and they will raise Luke. Padme and Leia go back to Alderaan with Jimmy Smits (er, Bail Organa) and Padme must be found out and leaves Leia there. Padme tries to escape and meet up with Obi-Wan on that now infamous "volcano planet", and gets whacked, maybe by Anakin (wouldn't that be scary), setting the stage for the "final" duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

8. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    Interesting theory,but I agree with none of it.

9. StealthTrooperSTC019

StealthTrooperSTC019 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2002
    NONE of it, aww, come on... ;)

10. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    I disagree because-

1)I believe you said something about Obi-Wan living with the Lar's family.The purpose of taking Luke to Tatooine is to hide the boy.How well hidden would Luke be if Obi-wan were living with the Lars' family?It would be pretty dangerous to have Obi-Wan around.What if he were discovered?

2)You said that the final duel between OW and Anakin would happen after the kids were born.We have to assume that Anakin goes darkside and becomes Vader BEFORE the twins are born.Why else hide them?

3)The whole `love triangle' theory.I've seen variations on this posted on so many forums.Padme and Bail,Padme and Obi-Wan,Padme and Owen Lars,you get the point.I disagree with all of those theories because,for starters,it's too out of character for Padme,not to mention Obi-Wan.

The other problem with it is that it puts Padme at the center and makes the ultimate choice her's.We've already been told and the story supports that the choices are supposed to be Anakin's.

The triangle that does exist has Anakin in the center having to choose between love (Padme) and duty (Obi-Wan),that's it.

11. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    I change my mind, Luke and Leia were born on Dagobah.

12. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    okay... here's my 2 credits on the whole thing...

Where were they born? This I'm not really sure, my guess will be either Naboo or Coruscant.

Here is the interesting question though... Does Anakin know about the pregenancy or not? I say no myself, this would smooth over alot of the Death Star sized continuity problems that would arise. I'm guessing that Anakin will fall to the dark side shortly after Padame becomes pregnant and she goes into hiding. Once they are born, Obi-Wan helps her hide them. Who knows, maybe she dies while giving birth.

Then again this raises that whole storyline in one of the novel series about Luke and Leia's mother being a variant user of the force (some group called "the White Current" or something like that... I can't remember the specifics).

So basically, I see the issues in this sort of priority as it comes to the birth of Luke and Leia;

1 - They are conceived before Anakin falls to the Dark Side and he is consumed before finding out that Padame is with child.

2 - Padame goes into hiding while pregnant and is aided by Obi-Wan.

3 - Luke and Leia are born, something happens to Padame shortly after their birth and Obi-Wan takes the children to two separate safe places so as to increase the odds that one will survive (maybe it is at the request of Padame that they be taken to Tatooine and Alderaan... of course I don't want to give any spoilers away concerning the reasons why, so I'll leave it at that).

Good topic... :)

13. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Padme, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace all go to Dagobah after the rest of the jedi are wiped out. Anakin is already in his Darth Vader armor. The twins are born on the planet, mace and padme travel to Alderaan with leia and obi-wan goes to tantooine with luke. Yoda stays back.

14. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    Padme could not have died in childbirth because Leia says in ROTJ that she remembered her mother.

That bit about Padme being a Force-user,was that from the EU?I don't ever remember reading anything `official' which says she was Force-capable.I have my own theory about how the Force can be `with' someone.There are some who can use the power of the Force,and there are others who can't use it,but because of their destiny or whatever,are still protected by it,like Padme.I don't really have a way to back that up,it's just my own take on the issue.

There are no inconsistencies between the EU and the films because the EU never happened.I know I'm gonna get flamed for that,but it didn't.

15. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    alright, I have my own theories as to where they were born and why they were hidden the way they were...but here's the kicker, why did Leia become Organa (not Amidala or Skywalker) and Luke remain Skywalker and not Lars? I mean, could you ask for a larger neon sign, "here I am, i'm your force wielding cry-baby of a son". Though now I have my own theories for that and why Obi-Wan stayed on Tatooine, monitoring son of Skywalker...

16. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who thought they were born while Padme was under the protection of the Organa's.

But hey, that's cool. I don't mind being the solo thinker on that one. :)

17. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    I'm pretty much in agreement with huttese's theory. I've always thought they were born on a 'neutral' site and then taken in different directions. Luke's comments in ESB also lend credence to the Dagobah theory.

Now, Idgie, there's the matter of your imflamatory remarks regarding the real and Lucas-sanctioned extension of TGFFA. If, as you claim, the EU does not exist, then I must not either and therefore, there was no meeting last Saturday and we're not an official Fan Force Chapter yet. You've just erased the last week of everyone's lives and completely wiped me out! Not nice! (How's that for logic? ;) )

Regards,
    Mirax Terrick Horn (see the X-Wing Series - Books 1-9, I Jedi, and others.)

18. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    We're just going to have to persuade Idgie to fall to the EU side of the Force. That's all there is to it. ;)

It's like he's walking inside a Force bubble and can't see anything that's outside of said bubble. ;) hehe

As for MidnightGuard's comment about the possibility of Padme being Force sensitive from one of the EU novels...it was never proven. I can't remember her name, but the woman who told Luke that she knew his mother basically let him on so she could get back to the rest of her group and they could all "disappear" again.

I don't know if I'd want Padme to have an inkling for the Force or not...it just doesn't seem "right" to me.

19. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    Good point on Leia having vague memories of her mother, I completely forgot about that (oh how far my Star Wars knowledge has faded the past year or so... :( ).

As for the EU, I have no problem with anyone saying that they think it shouldn't exist... that is their right. I personally like alot of the EU novels and they fit in very well with overall storyline in my opinion (emphasize "opinion"). The EU gives all sorts of stuff to debate though (which is alot of fun).

I just finished re-reading all 9 x-wing novels (Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron rule!!! :D ) I've got a bunch of the other ones I need to either read for the first time or re-read.

As for what novel hits on Padme's Force Using... hmmm, I want to say it was the Black Fleet Crisis but I'm not positive. I'll have to check my novels when I get home from work tonight.

20. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I think that for the first time in the group, I totally and completely agree with Idg on the non-exhistence of the EU in regards to what we truly know Star Wars to be and that is encased in what the great flanneled one has presented to us on the big screen. I'm not saying the EU doesn't have it's place -it's all basically fan fiction, what I am saying is that if it didn't come from uncle George's melon, it ain't ripe.
    :)

21. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    Uh-oh...I'm sensing a great disturb...na, it's not that great. ;) hehe

22. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    I can see your point FearandBullets. Two years ago at DragonCon I sat down with Mike Stackpole for about 2 hours and we talked about all sorts of things surrounding his work in writing for the StarWars EU.

The one thing which was made clear was that all the story ideas had to be approved by Lucas Film before they were made into novels. This was for the purpose of keeping the universe in the same vision that George Lucas had. This makes the novels alot more than fanfic in my opinion.

Of course, sometime between then and now George changed his mind and that whole statement about the EU never existing thing came out. This is the sort of topic that can be debated to death. But I can understand both sides of the issue.

I'll have to try to corner Tim Zahn this year at DragonCon and see what he thinks/knows (that and I want him to autograph the Talon Karrde card from the CCG... since he is the model for the card... hehe)

23. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    I will never fall to the EU side,I am a Jedi like my...oh,never mind.:)

My personal feelings about the EU aside,I don't have a problem with people who enjoy it.I do have a problem when people try to contradict things that are in the films by saying that it doesn't gel with an EU scenario or something from a comic.As long as people accept the films as the primary source of canon,then I'm cool with it.

I could write for hours about the reasons why I don't like the EU,but as far as it relates to discussion,that's the biggest one.

24. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    I agree with you completely Idgie on the movies being the basis of all Star Wars canon. To do otherwise seems pretty silly in my mind ;)

25. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Leia's name was changed because she was adopted by bail organa. I think Luke's name stayed the same because, not only for general movie excitement, but Vader knows about Luke and the name Luke Lars isn't movie friendly. I think Vader will know that Padme is pregnant, but he only knows of one child because he isnt there at the birth. Without getting in to Episode 3 spoilers, I believe that once anakin is under the vader garmet, no one from the republic will know it is him. This is how he will find out about the pregnancy, but since Obi-Wan would think anakin is dead-the only people that are at the birth are himself, yoda, mace, and padme. I have an itchy feeling that the twins themselves will be born in the tree cave on Dagobah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.