main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Where will the big battle take place?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by vypernight, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Where will the final battle of ep VII take place?

1. Desert Planet

8.1%
  2. Ice Planet

14.5%
  3. Space

59.7%
  4. Somewhere else

17.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    In a Star Wars movie, anyways. And yes, it would be awesome. :cool:

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    As long as they look better than the underwater scenes in G.I. Joe I'd be fine with it. Although you might as well just bomb/torpedo them from space and not engage in the battle.

3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Iceland is more green than ice; but there is an Icy region as well. The rumor of a return to Hoth, is mostly based off of a report that there was a minor helicopter crash, involving a Second Unit Film Crew for Epsiode VII, on a glacier in Iceland. I am skeptical about this; I hope it is not true. I don't want Hoth, or any Ice Planet, to be in the ST; we already have Tatooine. Including Hoth as well, would be overkill. I want new planets.

4. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    its star wars, not water wars so probably not. i saw an underwater battle in sky captain and wasnt sure if it was the cgi or, that angelina jolie dressed reminding me of some kind of 80's hard looking chick, or maybe both that stank it up for me. blah. but i'm not a fan of a.j. at all, and i've never been able to understand the attraction of her. also saw some water stuff in tpm, and wasn't the high point of the movie for me. anyone else?

5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    There could be a battle inside of the cloud gases of a Nebula or a gas giant of some kind that leaves some sort of surprises.

6. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

No thanks.

Being underwater really inhibits what people can do, because there is great deal of constant resistense to someones every move. Unless the people/creatures doing hte fighting are specifically designed for underwater combat....... I have zero interest in seeing humans fight in slow mo under water.

Watch Thunderball - one of hte most boring Bond fight scenes ever.

7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I'd like to see a black hole used in some way. If a ship's systems get knocked out in a fight, you could have the potential for some serious drama as the crew desperately tries to restore power before crossing the event horizon. Like a submarine trying to avoid crush depth.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Oh, right. I forgot Star Wars was only limited to battles in space.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I was thinking more along the lines of an underwater battle between ships rather than hand-to-hand combat.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW might have bent underwater physics slightly - but it doesn't look like slow-mo.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

still much less dynamic and interesting.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    SeaQuest DSV seemed to handle it fairly well as I recall. Also The Hunt For Red October.

12. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Alright, let's just say I'm not writing off any possibility of an underwater sequence being good, and am open to the idea that an underwater battle sequence could be done in a fresh and exciting way. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. :D

If any film were to revolutionize a type of action sequence, a Star Wars movie would be an appropriate one to do it.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I said somewhere else. Though I'd say there will be possibly be two battles going on at once. One in space and one on the ground. Like in TPM.

Also I do like the idea of an underwater battle. Mon Calamari or Dac anyone? Plus it doesn't have to be like Thunderball, not if it's done right. Plus technology has really advanced since the 60s.

Dak Oolron, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One could have a certain amount of crossover - a bit like in TCW - with the fighters battling bombers all the way from the edge of the atmosphere to low altitude.

Throw in a few orbital strikes from spacecraft - and the line between the two battles could be blurred.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Not really the case for big, dynamic battle scenes.......

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I would like to see a battle over a dead moon like ours.

17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Iceland has many glaciers, (Vatnajökull being the biggest in Europe) so there is plenty of ice there as well, but mostly green, while Greenland is almost entirely covered in ice.

As for the battle, I just hope it doesn`t involve blowing up a space station again...

18. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014

Why not? JJ already remade / ripped off Star Trek 2... How about he again rips off Star Trek 2...

Nah, I'm against this. As cool as the visual could be, I have to say no.

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'd love to see a battle the size of the ESB's battle on Hoth replicated on Tatooine, going from extreme cold to extreme heat and see how they adapt the soldiers and equipment.

20. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    That's right, I forgot about the rumored helicopter mishap, and to be honest I did not even know it was associated with a glacier...

As for Episode VII not featuring Hoth I agree, although, I wouldn't mind either way, I guess. What would certainly make me happy is if Hoth were incorporated into the new Battlefront game. That would quell any nostalgia I may have in wanting to revisit Hoth on-screen again.
    That is pretty neat that even with all of our current knowledge provided through 'accidental' leaks and such we do not even truly know if Iceland alone has been chosen for its' greenery or its' frozen landscapes, each of which could leave open any number of opportunities as to what the environment may be. It is still exciting how little we know; personally, I hope that secrecy is maintained going forward.

...and yeah, the space station thing has been done already. If they wanted to use the design aspect to correlate with the original trilogy, though, it might be neat to see space ships created from the Death Star blueprints.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  21. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    You underestimate JJ Abrams. If Abrams is not locksafe in a straightjacket on a Hannibal Lector-compatible dolly with a fine mesh colander duct taped to his face, we WILL get red matter black hole sun crushing hyperdooper whizbang weapons fielded by Sonic the Hedgehog Executor class Super Star Destroyers doing the Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter. Abrams is entirely capable of that.

thejeditraitor and Ekhranomicka like this.
  22. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Lucas did attempt noir. Das Boot / Cold War isn't impossible, except that it is quite close to hard science fiction, and therefore quite far from the genre. You have to step into a very different mental space to put a creaking submarine into SW. You do get the sensation of 'crush depth' in SW77 when the blockade runner is just about to be boarded.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wouldn't mind a naval/air battle of some sort. Moving away from the above "underwater" scenario, I could see a very well-crafted melee between ships on the surface of a body of water warding off an aerial assault as smaller ships attempt to take off from the equivalent of "aircraft carriers".

Dak Oolron and Hernalt like this.
  24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Alaska.......

Ok, she said space

25. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Set piece battles in order of release: orbit(Tatooine), deep space(Alderaan), orbit(DeathStar1), ice.surface(Hoth), asteroid(Hoth), orbit(Endor), green.surface(Endor), orbit(Naboo), green.surface(Naboo), desert.surface(Geonosis), orbit(Coruscant). Did I miss any? Or is there a valid re-listing?

Barring an underwater set piece, which I don't think fits in this genre for movies (but works fine for TCW), I'd put a battle in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant, where between colorful opaque streams, hydrodynamic Rossby waves set up eddies of transparent windows into the deep layers. That gives you new venue, new class of venue, large visible volume or large sight lines, large opaque volume for subterfuge maneuvers, inexorable natural cloud movement of battlefield, a gaseous pressurized atmosphere for some stunts, and the kernel of the black hole, a deep and irreversible gravity well. You also get deadly radiation.

Barring that, something analogous to the Great Red Spot of Jupiter.
    http://christianready.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/101-102-cosmos-GRS-960x540.jpg (http://christianready.com/tag/cosmos/)

Circular Logic and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.