main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Where will the big battle take place?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by vypernight, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Where will the final battle of ep VII take place?

1. Desert Planet

8.1%
  2. Ice Planet

14.5%
  3. Space

59.7%
  4. Somewhere else

17.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Yes, and the Imperials will blow up the Life Star, a device that creates planets.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  2. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Um, now I'm confused. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the submarine analogy?

3. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Let's be creative:

Battle starts underwater, moves out of the water onto the surface, ships attack the surface vehicles, battle moves off the planet into space, space battle ensues, ships get sucked into a black holes, emerge on the other side of the galaxy to a fleet of death stars firing on each other.

See, anything's possible.

Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW had at least one episode that drew heavily on submarine tropes while actually being in space - the Cat & Mouse episode of Season 2 - instead of a sub, it's a stealth ship.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    There are better countries to choose for their greenery than Iceland. :D Parts of Game of Thrones were filmed in the icy parts of Iceland, so....

6. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Space first and maybe descend for the final confrontation into a planet.

With the actual technology and 3D (i suppose they are filiming with the best 3D technology available, not just some cheap conversion after is filmed), the space battles could look like nothing we have seen before. I want to watch the Falcon blast some TIE's in IMAX glory.

7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I know TCW played with it and it looks like rebels will too but I'd love to see a zero gravity battle. Blasters/lightsabers/whatever just do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Going with Space on this 1

9. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I claim to hear notes of James Horner's Star Trek II themes, another cat and mouse. I do see submarine. I just didn't think that cloaked ships had a really good fit with Star Wars. Star Trek has already owned that meme since TOS. And it fits in more appropriately with a very sub-galactic scale civilization.

10. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    The black hole causes tidal shear, and yes, submarine crush depth is about as analogous to tidal shear as we'll get. You can suss this in Larry Niven's Neutron Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_Star_(short_story)). I've had the pet crave to see someone qualified retcon the Han Solo 12 parsec line about the Kessel Run to explicitly, once and for all, delineate how many G's his small craft experienced while getting 'that' close to the gravity well. In engineering terms, his small ship, with its proportionately lower tidal shear, must place a pretty firm upper limit on what size or strength of ship can ever get so close to that black hole system. I reject it as evidence, since I think it was a flub, but the spinning of the Falcon in the ESB asteroid scenes would suggest a great resistance to centrifugal forces. But again, Star Wars is not the most appropriate stage for the very materials-science and engineering-oriented nail-biting horror or suspense of a creaking hull. I can't recall if I've ever heard "hull breach" in Star Wars, because the contest of Man against Nature, or humans against vacuum, is not really emphasized. I'm open to hearing persuasive cases.

11. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    In the old Marvel comics there was a story about the Rebel fleet hiding from the Imperial fleet in the corona of a star, using huge shield generators to keep from burning up.

Don't know how they would set it up, but it would be neat if the big battle was starfighters going into the sun with their own shield generators with the goal of taking out the fleet's shields. Who's fleet, I don't know.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    coruscant no. bigger scale yes. the scope should be wider and wider.

another huge ground battle or underwater is also a great idea. i would really like an air battle in-atmosphere on some planet. a battle reminiscent of ww 1 and 2 in real life. like they did i the starfighter games.

13. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Awwwe... you took all the fun out of it, ha ha!

Ever see Disney's "The Black Hole?"

14. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    I'd be fine wherever it is so long as it's not space. I want blasters and lightsabers, not ships.

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I hope right on Tatooine. Preferably ending with its complete and utter destruction.

16. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    In the super cluster and cosmic void scale fiction I will never write, because my writing sucks, I was going to have a battle between star fighter scale ships chasing over the Texas-size granules of the photosphere of a G star, over cooler sun spots where magnetic intensity inhibits upward convention, dodging between its solar prominences that arch out multiple earth diameters, able to differentiate very close up the changing Wein peak as a function of optical depth, with magnetic ropes or field lines always torquing and twisting beneath the surface and ready to break through like a Kraken. {The more straightly you can peer into the Sun's photosphere, the higher and bluer its Wein peak; the lower you must peer into the Sun's photosphere, as in the Sun's limb, the lower and redder the Wein peak.}

But then Lucas did Mustafar. (Badly, in some CGI lava shots.)

Stargate Universe very nicely folded in some science by taking the Destiny through the photosphere of a blue giant. Again, SGU was a BSG03 substitute, and SW doesn't chase a venue qua science for science's sake. The Hoth and Utupau asteroid fields were thoroughly unrepresentative of our actual Main Belt asteroid field in our actual Solar System. At this rate I might as well mention the rings of a Saturn type planet, but I'm pretty sure I've seen something 'like' that already get done in TCW.

Circular Logic and Iron_lord like this.
  17. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
    An underwater SW battle might have been interesting but "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" already did it.

18. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    So did The Clone Wars. I'd rather we stay above the surface in the live action films. To each his own, though.

thejeditraitor and DarthPinoy like this.
  19. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
    Not even for a little skirmish?

No, you're absolutely right, though, about the big battle. Come to think of it, unless the movie opens underwater, the big battle probably will not take place below the surface because the ending of the movie will most likely circle back to the beginning. I've yet to see a live-action SW movie that opens underwater. :p

20. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    What if two force users wearing space suits had a lightsaber duel standing OUTSIDE a spaceship on the hull? Is that cool or too Star Trekky?

21. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Battle over Moriband.

22. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I still hope for a Space Battle.
    bump. lol.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    With the possibility of two super-weapons, I think it's very likely we'll see one. But it's also confirmed, basically, that we'll see a ground battle, what with the whole Puzzlewood thing with tons of extras, plus Ridley, Boyega, Driver, and Andersen there.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Here. The big battle will take place on the internet.

Has anyone said that yet? :p

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014

The Empire is going to send spam-mails to the Alliance! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.