main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Where will you be during the full solar eclipse of August 21, 2017? (April 8, 2024 Edition)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Oct 23, 2014.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is classic Trump. People probably told him not to look at it directly, but does he care what those losers say?

Anyway, we had 97% totality here in Atlanta. It got about as dark as early dusk levels, no more... I expected a little darker, but you really have to be at 100% for true darkness.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I'm going to Argentina in 2019 damnit

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm directly across the river from Philly and it had the spectacular effect of making it seem as though it were 2 hours later than it was for approximately 10 minutes. Life changing.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Trump is the greatest person ever to look directly at the sun without proper eye protection. Nobody in history has ever looked more directly at the sun.

5. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

Keeeeep looking....just keep on looking...

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It was pretty lame. Even at 99.2%.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Just imagine the headlines:

US President Goes Blind Staring at Eclipse Sun

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Lord Vivec - thanks for sharing those pictures. That was my extent of it, beyond the tv.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "Those 'experts' told me not to look at the sun. Told me to wear glasses. What a bunch of weak nerds!! SAD"

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're welcome. :)

Master_Lok and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  12. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Evil losers!!!!

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The lying media has been telling everyone to wear protective eyewear. DON'T BELIEVE THE #FAKENEWS

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    His out of control eyebrows saved him.

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Of course, now the sky clears up here.

16. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I was fortunate enough to experience totality today (in Columbia, SC). It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. During the partial period, you could gradually see the sunlight kind of dimming--it looked almost muted the closer we got to totality. The most eerie thing was the crescent shapes of sunlight shining through the trees, on cars, etc.

Then came totality, and it honestly felt like someone switching off a light in the sky. It went to dusk-level darkness in a matter of seconds. The street lights came on, and we could see stars in the night sky at quarter-to-three in the afternoon. And looking at the eclipse itself, the sheer brilliance of the corona... just wow.

Another weird thing was the temperature change. Since this is SC, it didn't go down much. But it was bizarre (and kind of nice) to stand in direct "sunlight" and barely even feel the rays of the sun. I was also barefoot, and I could feel the pavement of my driveway become less hot under my feet as time went on. We started in the low 90s and I think dipped down to the mid-80s during totality. My feet could barely feel any heat from the grass and driveway by the time the sun reemerged! (I'm very curious how a total eclipse would feel in winter--I'm guessing it would be less welcome. :p )

I wasn't on campus today, and I certainly didn't take this picture, but here is a photo of the campus of the University of South Carolina during totality this afternoon:
    [​IMG]

Chyntuck, R2-DK, Master_Lok and 5 others like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Just wait until December! We will have our minds blown every afternoon!

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's actually not far off from what happened

EHT, Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    [face_laugh]

Alas, I'm afraid I don't live far enough south for the sun to set before 5, even in winter!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I tried too late to get the glasses but where I was became overcast. At one point there was no direct sunlight so I took a look and lo and behold between thick clouds but still behind thin clouds I caught three good looks over a minute lasting a couple of seconds a piece.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If only Bonnie Tyler was playing in the background, it would have been perfect.

Rew likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, 5:15 is the earliest here I think.

After today's experience I've decided to total-eclipse chase. Looking at Dallas, TX or Bar Harbor, ME for 2024.

And if I can get to Argentina in 2019, even better.

23. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Pictures didn't come out properly. Will try again in a bit.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hah, I was in South Carolina too. Totality was every bit as amazing as advertised.

As mentioned, the light gets muted -- loses vibrancy but you don't have the dusky red or the elongated shadows of the evening.

And the moment of totality is sudden and clear. The last sliver of sunlight disappears and suddenly you can't see anything with the glasses.

The corona has an eerie silver lights and I could wear you can see it shifting and flowing in real time. There's nothing like it. I didn't take pictures. I just watched for 2 minutes and 38 seconds.

It's also dead quiet. All the bugs and birds stopped making noise.

And when totality ends, you know. The slightest sliver of the sun bursts out blindingly bright to the naked eye.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Coruscant, Chyntuck, R2-DK and 6 others like this.
  26. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I saw it at my daughter's school. It was glorious! The clouds parted right at the totality.

27. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  28. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    My wife and I drove a ways to see the eclipse. The traffic wasn't that bad, though. Once it got a little congested we took some "back roads" (as in anything that wasn't an Interstate).

We got lucky. Just to the north we could see that the sky was filled with clouds, but above us was all clear. It started to get cool when it was around 90% totality. At that point, the gradual decline in brightness started to become more obvious, although an annoying effect was that a lot more gnats started flying around us.

The light and shadows became increasingly surreal around the 3 minute mark before the total eclipse. The light on the ground was dim with a slightly orange hue. We looked for the crescent shaped shadows but couldn't see a difference.

The shift from partial to total eclipse was immediate, and the sky got much darker then. It didn't become as dark as I had expected. More like twilight, and we could see a few stars. We could see parts of the horizon in gaps in the trees in four directions, and the horizon was pink in each direction. Right after the eclipse began, a dog howled. (Cliche, I know.)

By far, the most impressive aspect of it was the way the moon itself looked backlit by the sun. It was jet black, and we could see the feathery wisps of the sun's corona behind it. It look like a utterly black star with light emanating around its edges. Pictures really don't do it credit. The odd quality of its luminosity can't really be captured in a photo.

The total eclipse lasted a little over two minutes. As the sun popped out at the end, I got a glimpse of it with my naked eye. Oops! The change in brightness levels is incredible, and honestly, I can't understand how or why anyone would stare at an eclipse when it's not in totality. The instant the sun was visible, I had to look away, and I could hardly see the moon at all, as the spread of the light rays almost entirely masked it.

When the sun brightened again, we noticed the sound of insects chirping begin, and as the sky grew brighter over the next fifteen minutes, they seem to slowly quiet. We noticed a slightly confused cricket near our picnic sight beneath a tree as we went over to pack it up. Maybe that's not special, but I thought crickets are nocturnal.

Overall, it was a very cool experience. Wish it could've lasted longer.

29. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, this was exactly my experience (but you described it better than I did!).

BTW, where in South Carolina were you?